1.    #1  
    I was at a sporting event on Saturday evening when I got a text message from a family member informing me of the update to 1.3.1. Stupidly, I didn't wait until I got home, and forgot that I had tweaks installed (consider how easy it is to forget that the things other phones have require tweaks) and updated on the spot. The next morning, I had a problem updating two of my apps from the catalog because my Pre complained about insufficient space. I Googled, and found the answer was to do a partial erase, and this worked.

However, when I logged back into my account, none of my Palm Profile stored contacts were on my device. All of my bookmarks, downloaded apps, and even the names of other email, contact and messaging sources were there...but not my Palm Profile contacts. I waited for a few hours, then tried a Full Erase. Same result.

At this point I was furious, so I had two support chats (it was 11 pm MST) and was told that I would be called by Engineering. When support opened, I jumped on the line and was transferred from 1st to 2nd level support where I was told that my case will be escalated. It was at this point that I became severely disgusted with the boilerplate responses and decicided to speak with corporate. I was then transferred to customer service where I was told the exact same thing. However, this guy was a little bit better about his boilerplate, and permitted me to vent as needed. After threatening to keep my Blackberry active and turn in my Pres (my wife has one also) for recycling, he gave me the number to the corporate headquarters.

I've yet to call the headquarters, because I am at work and need to finish up some things at this location, but once I am headed back to my office, Palm is gonna hear it.

I'll keep you all posted.

----MORAL OF THE STORY---- Don't trust Palm Profiles as your only backup source. If you do, at least keep the phone your numbers came from!
    This has become an issue as of late. Not sure why though? I've done the WebDr (brings Pre back to out of box condition) 3 times and every time, I've got my contacts along with memos, etc from the Palm cloud. I also have Google so my contacts are also on my gmail account as a secondary source.

My friend had this happen to her two weeks ago. She took her old phone back to Sprint and had them port the contacts again to her new Pre but this time I made sure that her default profile was Google and not Palm so that her contacts would get backed up to Google as well.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  3. NaS
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    i never had a problem until 1.3.1 update. after the update i couldnt get yahoo. to sign in then i relized all my company ,dr,fam, contacts were gone, except facebook ofcourse! i webdr 3 times hoping some how i would get them back. what should i do?

update!! after calling palm and sprint for the lasts 3days they cant get my contacts back and do not know what the problem is! earlier today my wifes contacts just disapeared into the worthless palm cloud! *** palm!!!
    Last edited by NaS; 11/19/2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: update
    Same thing here. After updating to 1.3.1, I had some issues with my messaging alert not playing back correctly (among other little quirks) and decided to start from scratch using WebOS Dr. I performed a backup while on 1.3.1 prior to doing the WebOS rollback. After booting back up on 1.2.0 and logging into my profile I noticed the contacts hadn't come back. Then tried going up to 1.3.1 again and doing both partial/full erases of the device with no luck getting them back. Supremely annoyed.

It would seem my safety net/backup 'chute has failed. My wild guess is that the backup I did while on 1.3.1 is when my empty contact list got written to the "cloud" ?

Any way to stop my handset from performing another backup while I wait out my response from Palm? If you try to turn off backups, it states that it will then also purge your existing backup data. Most likely irrelevant if my online profile is already missing my Contacts.
    I think you should post the phone # to corporate so that we all, everyone who has lost all their contacts can call, I think it might get the message out to palm a lil better
    Quote Originally Posted by huebnersa View Post
    I think you should post the phone # to corporate so that we all, everyone who has lost all their contacts can call, I think it might get the message out to palm a lil better
    I agree..! I lost everything as well sadly..
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    This is funny because I had almost the opposite thing happen to me. I orginally lost all my contacts as well as apps from my palm profile back when i had 1.2. When I upgraded to 1.3 I actually had some of those apps I lost appear all of a sudden, and all the bookmarks I had too. None of those contacts ever came back though, weird huh.
    I lost all but two memo's (weird I know..why just 2 left?) when I did a WebOS doc from 1.3.1 to 1.2.1
    Last edited by PreJamison; 11/17/2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJamison View Post
    I lost all but two memo's (weired I know..why just 2 left?) when I did a WebOS doc from 1.3.1 to 1.2.1
    Thats correct, I had 5 contacts transfer, 7 including the sprint numbers, and TWO memos, and Not a single calendar entry left ... VERY weird..
  10.    #10  
    I have no problem posting that number Since its the corporate office, and not a call center, I need to find out who is in charge of customer satisfaction first. If we all call randomly, nobodyy will get through to who needs to hear it. Was hoping to do it today, but had to finish a server migration at work. Will do it tomorrow, posting the results and the number/contact.
  11.    #11  
    so I spoke with Palm today, and after 3 attempts, I finally accepted being sent to corporate customer service. I spoke with a guy that was very receptive and didn't **** me off nearly as much as the previous reps had. He informed me that this is a known issue, but the developers and engineers haven't found a cause yet. Disheartening, I know, but he assured me that it wa being worked on and the higher ups were well aware and involved. While he still couldn't offer anything more than an apology, he did recommend that I pass along the feedback link for development and also sincerely accepted my request to have Palm consider providing us with a tool for managing our data, wheter online or off.

All in all, it doesn't resolve my issue of lost contacts, but after a 40 minute conversation, it seemed like I was finally being heard. He also mentioned the developer community, and although he is not permitted to recommend anythin, he seemed to embrace the developers and forums (he mentioned PreCentral more than once).

I wish I could say that this resulted in something more, but I am prepared to start from scratch with my contacts. Today I was fighting for all of us, and not myself. If you would like to contact Palm, below is the link and the number.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

408.617.7000 - Palm Corporate Hdqtrs.

For the record, don't go asking for stuff (Touchstones, headphones, etc), or they won't take you seriously. When I asked for something to make me feel better, to see what they would offer, he flipped the question and asked me what would make me feel better. I just wanted peace of mind for the fture, but its obvious people are asking for more than that.
    This entire thread didn't mention ONCE that you also lost ALL of your TEXT conversations and you ENTIRE CALL LOG! For all you people researching, the Palm Pre does NOT back up your TEXT LOGS nor your CALL LOGS! And there is currently NO software that will do that... NONE...
  13.    #13  
    I wasn't really pressed about losing those things. My contacts are way more important than my call log or text log. I had contacts I may NEVER get back.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    This entire thread didn't mention ONCE that you also lost ALL of your TEXT conversations and you ENTIRE CALL LOG! For all you people researching, the Palm Pre does NOT back up your TEXT LOGS nor your CALL LOGS! And there is currently NO software that will do that... NONE...
    to be fair palm never claimed to back up text messages or call logs. i did see that their is a developer working on a program to back all of these things up, though, it was actually on the homepage of precentral. if only i knew that two days ago, though, before my phone screwed up and i had to doctor it.
  15.    #15  
    So I received a call from Palm today, informing me that they may be able to restore my data. With the restore rep on the line, I did a partial erase, and reset my Pre. He did a full restore on my profile, which injected all of my missing contacts and memos back to my device!

After chewing this guy out two weeks ago for losing my data, it felt wonderful to be able to applaud him and his colleagues for recovering it.

Now, I'm going to cut this short so I can place my order for PocketMirror, and back up my database!!!!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwilson View Post
    So I received a call from Palm today, informing me that they may be able to restore my data. With the restore rep on the line, I did a partial erase, and reset my Pre. He did a full restore on my profile, which injected all of my missing contacts and memos back to my device!

After chewing this guy out two weeks ago for losing my data, it felt wonderful to be able to applaud him and his colleagues for recovering it.

Now, I'm going to cut this short so I can place my order for PocketMirror, and back up my database!!!!
    Did the rep happen to mention if they had found a cure for this problem? Can those of us who have lost contacts be able to call Palm and have them restore our profiles.

TIA
    Rick
  17.    #17  
    I can't say that they found a true solution. Nor can I say that anyone who calls will have their data recovered. As you can see from the timeline of this thread, it took almost 3 weeks before I got a call telling me they were able to recover my data. I was doubly fortunate as they had multiple sync points for my device.

What I will say is that it is worth the phone call. I recovered all of my contacts and memos (as my calendar and tasks are synched with exchange), back to November 9th. I think too, that even if you call and nothing happens for you, making them aware of the number of people that this has affected will definitely make a difference in the future.
    i have replaced my Pre twice. both times, my Palm profile contacts (ALL my 300+ phone contacts!) disappeared. my google, yahoo, facebook, etc. all remained. both times i had left the sprint store when i discovered this. for phone #2, i brought in my old Instinct, and had them re-sync. phew, i got all my contacts back. for this one (#3), i found another forum talking about this same problem, and although i had already activated the phone, i was able to get my Palm contacts back. basically i deleted my google, yahoo, facebook, etc. email, contact and calendar profiles. then i clicked to Fully Erase the phone. when it re-booted, and asked me, i signed back in and voila, it all came back. below are the specific instructions i followed (except after deleting all my profiles, i started at step #7 since i had already activated it with my real username prior to finding this post). this is the site where i found it: community.sprint.com/baw/message/135645

Palm WebOS Phones:Palm Profile not working
    ----------------------------------
    Disappearing Palm Profile backup "solution

The other day we brought you word of how Palm Profiles were disappearing across the nation after users reset or replaced their phones. While Palm stated that they are aware of the issue and are working on correcting it, Sprint has started giving instructions to users replacing their phones on how to avoid the issue. Apparently it all stems from Palm’s servers getting confused by a new phone having a different version number than the new phone, usually an older version because the new one’s been sitting in a box for a while. Big ups to everybody who sent this in, and to bpdamas for putting it up in the forums

Instructions for users:

1. Confirm that your replacement webOS phone has been activated.
    2. Power on the phone and when prompted to enter your old Palm Profile data, instead choose “Create New Profile.”
    3. Create a fake/dummy Palm Profile using a different (doesn’t even have to be real) email address.
    4. Once the phone finishes set-up, do not enter any of your cloud accounts (Yahoo, Gmail, etc) into contacts or calendar or email. Just go straight to Updates and check that you are running the latest version of webOS, currently webOS 1.3.1. If you’re not, immediately download the webOS update (if you have a Pre, remember that WiFi will be significantly faster than trying to go over EVDO). If you are running the latest version of webOS, skip to step six.
    5. Install the update. Let the phone reset and do all it needs to do.
    6. Open Device Info and confirm that you’re running the latest version of webOS. If not, go back to 4.
    7. In Device Info, drop to Reset Options at the bottom and select Full Erase. This will wipe the device clean and reset it.
    8. After the phone has powered back on, you will be prompted to reenter your Palm Profile. This time, enter your original login username and password. Since you’re on the same version as your last backup, this should restore all your data with no issue.
    -------------

now, if only i could get Web OS Quick Install to work so i could install 3rd party apps again!
    (yes, i put it in developer mode, downloaded WebOSQuickInstall and WebOSDoctor, checked Java version and correctly prioritized it on my Mac, plugged in phone and clicked Just Charge)
    Last edited by zbartling; 12/09/2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by zbartling View Post
    now, if only i could get Web OS Quick Install to work so i could install 3rd party apps again!
    Did you put it in developer mode?

go to the card view and type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart and try again.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Did you put it in developer mode?
    yes, many many times and tries......i have successfully done this with my first 2 Palm Pres, so i know all the steps....re-downloaded WebOSInstallApp and WebOSDoctor.jar just in case. the app says my device is not connected......i have spent hours re-attempting and then feeling like i wasted tons of time!