1.    #1  
    I was wondering recently, If there would be a chance for a 3rd model from Palm?

I recall back when Palm was about to release the pre, an article stating they were working on a 3 tier model strategy. One being consumer level. This is what I believe is the Pixi. A lower budget, entry level phone for new smartphone buyers. Two being prosumer, the pre. A mid level phone for the more advance user, multi-media user, and of course all the social networking aspect. Which brings me to the third, professional tier. This of course would be the high end mobile for the business and power users.

Now considering the tight grip Palm had on any leaks about the new os, known only as Nova at the time, as well the pre hardware (I don't recall much on the pixi either). I pose the question, could we possibly see a 3rd model within time?

At the moment, I feel Palm is playing a bluff and not throwing their cards down. Their playing the hand their dealt and when all the chips are in, With a little slight of hand they'll slip in the ace they've been palming to win the game.
    The next model from Palm imo will be an updated version of the Pre for Verizon and ATT with probably 16GB of storage etc...

I would love to see a flip phone from Palm, but I doubt that will every happen....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    They may have changed plans. I think at the time they made the three tier announcement, they were thinking of maintaining support for Windows Mobile for business users. But I'm guessing that WebOS took all of their energy and they mentioned at the recent conference call that all future phones would only support WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    The next model from Palm imo will be an updated version of the Pre for Verizon and ATT with probably 16GB of storage etc...

I would love to see a flip phone from Palm, but I doubt that will every happen....
    This sounds more like your own personal wish than a likely course of action for palm, Gaurav. Specifically, why would they screw sprint by favoring Verizon and ATT?

For my two cents, I don't think that Palm will be likely to release a third tier above the Pre. Like Gaurav said, I think it makes more sense that they keep the Pre as their flagship after sinking so much money into its' launch and advertisement. The next time we get a better webOS phone will be a Pre revision. A flip phone seems completely unlikely since palm has never made one before and this form factor seems to be losing popularity.
  5.    #5  
    Yes no longer using wm in their line, But yet a high end tier, proffesional model could still be possible. As rumored, more storage space and myself hoping for storage card expansion. Perhaps a hardware design change with larger screen and larger landscape slide out keyboard. Software update for better PIM sync (recall some finding a lack in this area) or widget capability for a desktop environment similar to android. Of course most of these features are my wish list.

Regardless, I'm so looking forward to come back to palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by believeinpeter View Post
    This sounds more like your own personal wish than a likely course of action for palm, Gaurav. Specifically, why would they screw sprint by favoring Verizon and ATT?
    Ummm...I did say imo (in my opinion)!!

I agree a flip phone is unlikely...I just put that out there because I still have fond memories of the old palmos Samsung i500. That was a tiny palmos flip that I still think had one of the best form factors...

Webos would also be nice on a small tablet like device or even perhaps a foleo 2? In anycase, I think Palm should just focus on surviving in the smartphone market before it ventures into other devices...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    Ah yea, foleo 2. That may be whats in store for the business user. This would be awesome with the flash 10.1 support Palms getting.
    IMO, I believe we are going to see a Pre in Pixi form very soon....look at how soon they dropped the Pixi after the Pre, about 6 months or so....the Pre is selling for 50-100 bucks in some places, whereas the Pixi is going for around 30 at wally world and others...

I believe they are trying to move product out of their stores in order to push the next handset...they heard our complaints about the Pre's cheap build and the complaints about the Pixi's lack of hardcore components, BUT everyone LOVES the Pixi's form....

Imagine if you will, a pixi form, slightly wider/thicker/longer to place a larger screen, possibly 2.8" and give us back most of our pixels and resolution..WiFi and faster process, 16gb (although 8gb is more than enough for anyone) (IMHO I wouldn't mind a complete lose of the solid state HDD and move towards SD Cards to allow users to customize their memory sizes, and it will save on power usage)...Palm can make a Pixi form factor the size of the iPhone and place a full qwerty KB on it with a nice smile like curve to incorporate the gestures just above the KB to make more room for screen...no need for widgets when you can run full apps in a smaller version on the main page...i haven't understood the reason people wish for widgets to be like Android when WebOS is so much more sexy and sweeter than any Android UI out there...i'm not a fan of the laggy Sense UI....

i dunno...i could go forever on what I want in a power house WebOS unit...but no more sliders or flippers! either go with the Pixi form factor or ditch the KB altogether for a soft KB...just keep it either the same size as or smaller than the iPhone/Storm 2
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post
    IMO, I believe we are going to see a Pre in Pixi form very soon....look at how soon they dropped the Pixi after the Pre, about 6 months or so....the Pre is selling for 50-100 bucks in some places, whereas the Pixi is going for around 30 at wally world and others...

I believe they are trying to move product out of their stores in order to push the next handset...they heard our complaints about the Pre's cheap build and the complaints about the Pixi's lack of hardcore components, BUT everyone LOVES the Pixi's form....

Imagine if you will, a pixi form, slightly wider/thicker/longer to place a larger screen, possibly 2.8" and give us back most of our pixels and resolution..WiFi and faster process, 16gb (although 8gb is more than enough for anyone) (IMHO I wouldn't mind a complete lose of the solid state HDD and move towards SD Cards to allow users to customize their memory sizes, and it will save on power usage)...Palm can make a Pixi form factor the size of the iPhone and place a full qwerty KB on it with a nice smile like curve to incorporate the gestures just above the KB to make more room for screen...no need for widgets when you can run full apps in a smaller version on the main page...i haven't understood the reason people wish for widgets to be like Android when WebOS is so much more sexy and sweeter than any Android UI out there...i'm not a fan of the laggy Sense UI....

i dunno...i could go forever on what I want in a power house WebOS unit...but no more sliders or flippers! either go with the Pixi form factor or ditch the KB altogether for a soft KB...just keep it either the same size as or smaller than the iPhone/Storm 2
    http://forums.precentral.net/future-...look-like.html
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I hope for a full screen phone, but NickDG is probably right as far as what it'll look like.

But there will defiantly be quite a few more Palm devices to be released in the future. It's not like they're gonna stop making phones now and try to get people to buy Pres and Pixi's for the rest of their existence as a company.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post

As much as I would have loved another flip phone running Palm OS, I don't ever see this happening with WebOS or any of the newer operating systems because they are all becoming finger friendly. Unfortunately, when they eliminated the stylus they made it that much more awkward to control the screen if it's on the top of a flip.

I bet the next 3 devices are: Pre with upgraded storage, Pixi like candybar with upgraded specs, and eventually a slate like device with no keyboard.

But who knows? I never would have predicted the Pre...