1.    #1  
    I love my Pre, but the signal strength is driving me crazy. Most of the day, my phone sits on my desk. Plugged or unplugged, the signal strength seems completely random. One minute I have 5 bars of EV, the next its 2 bars of 1X, another I only have roaming. Given consistent weather and the sudden changes, I don't think weather is a factor.

Can anyone explain this? Is this the phone, Sprint, network overload, or something else?
    Likely a combo of the phone, network and environmental factors (like topography, architecture, ect...). Have you consulted a coverage map for your location?
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    not sure what it is, but i have noticed something else with my pre: the signal strength might be at 1 or 2 bars when phone is dormant but as soon as e-mail comes in and if i want to read it, the signal immediately jumps to full 5 bars and stays there for awhile. after that it goes back to 1 or 2 bars again... Go figure
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alik R View Post
    not sure what it is, but i have noticed something else with my pre: the signal strength might be at 1 or 2 bars when phone is dormant but as soon as e-mail comes in and if i want to read it, the signal immediately jumps to full 5 bars and stays there for awhile. after that it goes back to 1 or 2 bars again... Go figure

That happens when you tether also, weird. As far as the phone searching for a signal, thats killing my battery. The constant swithcing from EVDO, R, X1 is one of the reasons my battery life is horrible.
    This has been an issue since launch day. The Pre def needs a radio tweak in an update. I'd rather Palm engineers focus on these types of issues and not trivial things such as text forwarding... leave those simple things to the devs.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I also have this issue as well and my battery suffers for it. I have my fingers crossed that an update can fix the issue. I am in a full coverage area so I know it shouldn't continually fluctuate between 5 bars of EV to 1 bar of roaming all day.
  7.    #7  
    I sit at the 20th floor of my building, so unless a lot of planes are flying by my window, there shouldn't be too many environmental factors. The problem is the same at home and in other cities too.

Its good to know that I'm not the only one suffering from this issue. Maybe some future tweaks will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alik R View Post
    I think the reason you see the signal bars go up is because the Pre is increasing the power on the radio to account for a lower signal. Perhaps data requires a strong signal.

Do any of you CDMA users on Bell Canada see the same behavior with inconsistent signal and fluctuations between EV and 1x?