1.    #1  
    I am SO disappointed in Handspring/Cingular.

After waiting quite a while for the Treo to come out, they finally
    announced they are avaialble, so I run over to the site, put in my zip, and start the process where they let you pick a plan and what area you are in.

Then I saw something that made me want to cry: "Cingular Data (required for web and email access) $4.95/mo. plus 15/minute"

I can't believe this thing is not setup to use Cingular's internal
    network for web browsing. (which costs you $5 a month, plus airtime (basically, 'free' on nights and weekends). Instead, they are using the old Cingular data-connect, which is $4.95 and $0.15 A MINUTE. You can't use your included minutes, it's $0.15 a minute, always.

Not only that, but you have to have an ISP to make that data call into! If you use a cable modem or DSL, you'll have to pay a 3rd party ISP like Earthlink $19.95 a month just to use your data features.

Cingular has been setup, and has been selling phones that use their own 'wireless web' network for at least a year now. This is so sad.

Paying by the minute for data when you have a bucket of free minutes, as well as the requirement that you have a 3rd party ISP, is simply not acceptable in this day and age when other providers (Sprint, Verizon, Voicestream) are giving it away.

Incredibly dumb.
    When I put in my zip code to check out the available plans, the web pages I got back put Cingular Data at $2.99/mo with minutes coming out of your package minutes and access to a POP3 server from your ISP.

This is from the plan description pages that I looked at:
    Cingular Data (required for web and email access)
    Check your email and surf the Internet from your device! NOTE: You must also have a POP3 email account from your Internet Service Provider. Cingular Data is available for $2.99 per phone, per month, and airtime minutes come out of package minutes when available or are charged as overage minutes if no package minutes are available. Normal long distance charges apply. Cingular Data is required to use your device as a wireless modem.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
  3.    #3  
    What zip code are you in? Apparently it's different depending on your geographic region. (Mine is Los Angeles).
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    What zip code are you in? Apparently it's different depending on your geographic region. (Mine is Los Angeles).
    That might be possible. I'm in 29412 (Charleston SC). Making it a regional thing seems kind of silly to me though.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----