Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I know I am going to get flamed by one half of the community for this and the other, well lets find out. I am not a big poster on this forum but have kept up for quite some time. And I think it is time that we take a deep breath and give palm some time to work on changes and fixes to our problems, let them run their release cycle already.

    All too often I think everyone forgets just how young WebOS and the Pre are. We are talking 1.0 software here, things are going to be missing, things will need fixing, features are not here that we all think need to be.. Welcome to 1.0 software.

    We can all scream all day that we need full device backup... Or we could actually backup from our cloud providers, aka google, yahoo, facebook, Linkedin, Outlook/Zimbra/other outlookish services to get the majority of our pim data. I have heard mention of what I call "cloud fear" after the sidekick meltdown, However in that case we are talking about one cloud not several established ones, most of which provide some type of backup facility already. But I agree backup any and everything you can, and palm should be working to provide some type of back up for everything else.

    Personally here I would love to see a backup to a dropbox account, but maybe that is just me.

    App Limits... OK I totally agree here, palm needs to get a fix out for this rather quickly, but at the same time protect the devs from us when it comes to their code, All reports say palm ack.'s the problem and is working to fix it.... I myself have decided to delete the extra weather app, some of the games I no longer play and live in the space I have... Its not going to kill you to only have 1 twitter client afterall... Do you need every news app? or every homebrew app ever created.... Ok ranting sorry.

    But on a side note to that I have not personally noticed anyone saying that they will not buy an app because they cannot backup its data, which every dev knows is not included in Palm's backup utility, only the fact that you have the app is stored for recovery.

    SMS Forwarding, call blocking, and several other "Must Have features" Did the iphone and android have all of this at launch? Seriously Im asking, I know most everyone I knew with an iZod phone at initial launch had their own list out outstanding issues, some now resolved on OS 3.x some still just sitting out there waiting (at least we get mms out of the box, took the iPhone what 3 years or something). Most carriers kept well away from Android until google got to about hmmm.. 2.0 or so. Oh and for these phones you need to Jailbreak or load cooked rom's to get core changes.. Palm is happy to let you patch away, sideload apps, and in general do whatever you see as necessary, and even provided a saving grace in case you muck it all up.

    All I am saying here is that maybe we should stop flaming palm, and actually do some research before we buy. I myself have had my pre since about a week after launch, am on my second due to horrible oreo, and could not be happier with the new one. I knew what I was buying, knew what to expect, and what I would be loosing(which in my case was viz voicemail as I had an Instinct). Im also a linux phreak so I have been patching and hacking away since day one, but for me this is a large chunk of the fun.

    So I guess my basic point here is that the phone is young, the OS is young, palm has gone out on a huge limb when it was necessary as a company, and they seem bent on doing us right in the long term, just look at their recent hires to get an idea. Leaving only a few options, run away from the cloud or learn to work with it, and wait for the OS to catch up with your needs... Windows didn't in 1.0, OSX 10.1 was horrible (IMO), the Iphone, android, Instinct, WinMo, etc.... 1.0 software levels are always missing features in my opinion, all I am asking is that we recognizing it, calmly voice our concerns, and give them time to do their jobs...
  2. #2  
    Well said. App limits, its pretty safe to assume they are working on it. WebOS is very young, and has only been on the market for 6 months or so. Its obvious that palm plans to build up this OS instead of releasing annual updates for compatibility issues. While webOS lacks many features, it still has many features that the average phone doesnt have.
  3. #3  
    What App Limit? I only have used 5% of my app limit with this:
    Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

    I feel like my Pre runs smoother with only using 5%.
  4. Quintus's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    #4  
    This was a wonderful read and a burst of fresh air. I am having so much fun as an early adopter! I have to say, however, that without this vibrant community I would be much less patient with this product. The guys and gals on this site make the whole experience fun and worthwhile. What are we going to do with our time once this OS fully matures? LOL
  5. knsnik's Avatar
    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #5  
    Very well said! Thanx!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    This was a wonderful read and a burst of fresh air. I am having so much fun as an early adopter! I have to say, however, that without this vibrant community I would be much less patient with this product. The guys and gals on this site make the whole experience fun and worthwhile. What are we going to do with our time once this OS fully matures? LOL
    Wow I just re-read my post and realized that I did not mention anything about just how awesome this community is as a whole. Thanks for the reminder. It seems one should not post such long things right before falling asleep as we tend to miss such important points...
  7. stlsports's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #7  
    what a great perspective....i too love being an early adopter, as frustrating as that can be sometimes...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    What App Limit? I only have used 5% of my app limit with this:
    Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals

    I feel like my Pre runs smoother with only using 5%.
    Been thinking about doing this for a while, but really this is something that palm should both address and shout from the rooftops that they are working on just to get all of the questions out of the way. I understand why they setup the system the way they did, but this is really one that palm and not the OSS community should be fixing.

    All the same, I will most likely work through mvapp later today just to clean up the phone and see if I get any "smoothing"
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Whether people on this forum decide to give Palm a break or not probably doesn't matter very much compared to what the smartphone market decides overall. "The New Palm Pre - We're working on it." - doesn't sound too good.

    RIM, one of the true smartphone giants kind of missed with the original Storm. Less than a year later, the new Storm 2 is essentially DOA; being buried by Verizon in favor of the Droid. You really can only be the hot-new-thing once. One can argue that RIM should really be given a chance to get their first touchscreen model right but the market is not that forgiving. Its stock gets pummeled by 30% due to competition from new models. Fortunately for RIM, they have other smartphone models.
    I do understand you point, however in the RIM perspective I believe the DOA status of the Storm2 and the Storm1 (IMO) has todo with the touchscreen itself (could not stand the thing) and the fact that they were trying way to hard to be a touch model of their already existing OS, Honestly when I was messing with one it just felt like more of the same with different buttons.

    No smartphone is going to get the bump the iPhone got for being there first, but remember between the iPhone and Android and Storm there were lots of these types of problems for their users at the start. Different to be sure, and some carrier based. But the overall point is palm was upfront with this being a new OS and new device type for them all together, that they knew it would take some growing up. They didn't hide this and by in large have been pretty quick with the updates, two big ones already with a third in the works, already kindly seeded to some dev's.

    Overall the Pre is a great phone, and good handheld computer that I personally put on par with the iphone2 and android2 while still being 1.0 itself....

    Well said overall though, in the end it will come down to how much a very flighty market will bear. I am just hoping the market does not walk away before palm has a chance to address as many of these larger and smaller feature requests as possible to the OS can truly shine
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf79 View Post
    Been thinking about doing this for a while, but really this is something that palm should both address and shout from the rooftops that they are working on just to get all of the questions out of the way. I understand why they setup the system the way they did, but this is really one that palm and not the OSS community should be fixing.

    All the same, I will most likely work through mvapp later today just to clean up the phone and see if I get any "smoothing"
    I guarantee you will notice a difference in smoothness.
  11.    #11  
    awesome.. Im stuck waiting for tomorrow at this point, just put on a new body guard... So till tomorrow. Thanks for the tip
  12. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #12  
    Good one OP.
  13. #13  
    have to agree with all of the above. app limits so far are not an issue for me. i use mine for biz. huge amount of data every week. nice unlimited plan from Bell. i do want/need docs to go, would love to have google latitude, to help track sales staff. for the new hands free laws up here in Ontario,, would/need voice dial. Yes i know there are home brew for this stuff... too damn many individual phones to setup though.. over all.. damn good product. i might add, i have been a palm phreak since the palm 3 ... but this is my first "smart phone" to those that harp on how few apps, go buy a damn iphone. lol
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Whether people on this forum decide to give Palm a break or not probably doesn't matter very much compared to what the smartphone market decides overall. "The New Palm Pre - We're working on it." - doesn't sound too good.

    RIM, one of the true smartphone giants kind of missed with the original Storm. Less than a year later, the new Storm 2 is essentially DOA; being buried by Verizon in favor of the Droid. You really can only be the hot-new-thing once. One can argue that RIM should really be given a chance to get their first touchscreen model right but the market is not that forgiving. Its stock gets pummeled by 30% due to competition from a slew of new models from multiple manufactuers. Fortunately for RIM, they have other smartphone models that their users love.
    I, If I were to switch to V I would choose the S2 over any Android phone on the market. HTCs hardware sucks beyond belief and android is not as refined as you guys make it sound, Its hard as hell to navigate and is not very intuitive.

    Ive had 6 different Smart Phones (cough,Cough) and The Pre blows all of them out of the water, Period.

    I think youve given your opinion too much credit, I just proved that there ARE people that will choose the S2 over the Android.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  15. #15  
    Despite some hurdles like defective Touchstones (which have been overcome), I am very happy with the Pre and, so far, with Sprint. I was a bit wary of trying a 1st gen product, but it does everything I want in a smartphone. It's easily the best phone I've ever owned. Yeah, it could be zippier and have better quality control. It could have video recording, more storage, more apps. But to me, these do not totally detract from the experience. I'm rooting for the underdog--Palm. I really want Palm to survive. It's been unfortunate that Palm has made blunders like weird advertisements. The Palm has so much potential...let's hope that more people can take advantage of it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I, If I were to switch to V I would choose the S2 over any Android phone on the market.
    I want to try one. What do you think about it, in more detail? It also suffers from a basic browser but it may be fine for what I need. I would want it on Sprint though, because you only have to use the regular data plan. I believe VZ tacks on BES fees.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    Despite some hurdles like defective Touchstones (which have been overcome), I am very happy with the Pre and, so far, with Sprint. I was a bit wary of trying a 1st gen product, but it does everything I want in a smartphone. It's easily the best phone I've ever owned. Yeah, it could be zippier and have better quality control. It could have video recording, more storage, more apps. But to me, these do not totally detract from the experience. I'm rooting for the underdog--Palm. I really want Palm to survive. It's been unfortunate that Palm has made blunders like weird advertisements. The Palm has so much potential...let's hope that more people can take advantage of it.
    I feel exactly the same way... I spent some time today at the mall messing with Droids and the S2, have owned blackberries and used older palms, my fiancee has a 2nd gen iPhone and she is the one jealous of my pre... and I feel lost on her iPhone... My whole point here is just to give palm the time they need to mature the OS and let this puppy shine.
  18. L33tMasta's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #18  
    I've given Palm many chances to make this device worth keeping but I think I'm going to go back to the iPhone.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by L33t Masta View Post
    I've given Palm many chances to make this device worth keeping but I think I'm going to go back to the iPhone.
    that is saying a lot for something that has been out about 6 months
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf79 View Post
    My whole point here is just to give palm the time they need to mature the OS and let this puppy shine.
    I am giving both Palm and Android time to mature their OS. Whoever gets there first will probably get my business. In the meantime, I am sticking with PalmOS.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions