Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I gave Palm a break when I bought a Palm device for the 1st time. At first I was told to "wait at least 6 months before you judge the Pre" Now..." It has only been 6 months" My biggest concern is when MY 1 YEAR WARRANTY IS OVER and my hardware fails and I have to pay to for INS and a 100.00 deductible. I gently use my Pre and my biggest concern come 06/06/10 and I need to swap it out.

Never Mind we dont have basic features. And Palm consumers are making the features for Palm. ( text forwarding One example)
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I definitely agree with this post. I think it should definitely be reiterated though that most shortcomings can be fixed with an *easy* to install patch. I, like many, didn't realize how easy this is.
    - Download the Preware installer
    - Put the Pre in dev mode
    - Click install
    - Take Pre out of dev mode

Done. Now you've got an easy to use program on your Pre that installs/removes any patch or homebrew app you'd ever want right over the air. No tech savvy required. Need to bring the Pre back to Sprint for replacement? Run WebOS Doctor and all is undone.

I know I know. "We shouldn't need to install 50 patches to make the Pre the way it should have came out of the box." I agree but personally I am quite greatful because none of my past phones had anything like this for their shortcoming.

Just one man's opinion.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoraWare View Post

I know I know. "We shouldn't need to install 50 patches to make the Pre the way it should have came out of the box."
    nice post

just to add to it : we also shouldnt need to jailbreak iphones but most of us did, its the way it is with new devices like this and its something im ok with. It bewilders me to see people comparing the pre to the current iphone. Most have either forgot or never experienced the original iphone.

The fact is, a lot of the fixes are there, yes we shouldnt have to do them, but we can and they are easy so I dont get a lot of peoples problems.

good thread btw
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post
    I gave Palm a break when I bought a Palm device for the 1st time. At first I was told to "wait at least 6 months before you judge the Pre" Now..." It has only been 6 months" My biggest concern is when MY 1 YEAR WARRANTY IS OVER and my hardware fails and I have to pay to for INS and a 100.00 deductible. I gently use my Pre and my biggest concern come 06/06/10 and I need to swap it out.

Never Mind we dont have basic features. And Palm consumers are making the features for Palm. ( text forwarding One example)
    It takes about 3 days of constant use to "judge" the pre... and so long as you don't treat the phone like a toy its going to last unless you have not traded in on some of the known basic hardware problems that are mostly if not all resolved (my 2nd pre is MUCH better than my first). All warranty's end, and at the end of them we pay for what is broken... this is nothing new to any phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boggs3010 View Post

If you are a Sprint Premiere customer you can upgrade at 1 year to a new phone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    You guys gotta remember one more thing about our great lil Pre....it's on Sprint.

Sprint is a network struggling to get back to greatness...their customer service has goen up 1000% compared to a year ago....they are pushing their coverage systems harder and trying to get 4g items out before ATT and Verizon, not to mention they are going a different (faster speeds) route then ATT/Verizon LTE setup.

Sprint is not very strong right now and they have to do with what they can. The Pre is helping them, this community is is pushing WebOS faster then the iPhone's community and Androids. The iPhone still does NOT have MMS, due to their carrier. Sprint is working hard with Palm to make this OS and major player in the realm of smartphones. The Pixi is to WebOS like the Pearl was to RIM, and look what the Pearl did for BB. They exploded into the teenager scene. Could you imagine what that would do for Palm?

Android OS is an amazing OS, but it is way too much for most power users. It's a very complex OS that does so much, but it is way more than any of us need. I modded my G1 and tweaked it's OS has much as could, only to brick it twice. The Pre is completely open to modding and tweaking with very little fear of bricking, and they might WebOSdocter is curing bricks as well. The G1 had to go back to the factory, twice!

I have faith in Palm and this WebOS. I have a lot more faith in the community of devs who are working hard to make this OS better everyday with their tweaks. Palm opened up their SDK for devs and we already have so much. That's why Palm doesn't focus on things we get from our Devs, because they get the job done Palm can focus on getting deeper things worked out and focus on their next move.

The Palm community will be what saves or kills this OS, not Palm. And my money is we save this great OS and make into a true iPhone/Android/RIM "killer", after Palm gives us a solid form factor with some good guts under the hood.

Thats my 2 cents, great thread btw!
  7.    #27  
    @thedonk13 Didn't even think about the sprint side of things when I got this thread going... Great point.
    Hear hear and well said! Kudos to you for putting this out there Dire.

I manage the schedules of my family, which is FOUR separate school calendars, our son's medical appointments due to his Autism, my daughter's and my chiropractic appointments for scoliosis, SSI/Disability appointments for our son, VA appointments for my husband, our daughter's VERY busy activities calendar... this list goes on. Along with that is the data management for all those activities: phone numbers, names, notes, memos, addresses, reminders, emails, deadlines...

I have gone through smart phone after smart phone, literally trying multiples from every manufacturer other than Apple's iSheep (I'm sorry, I have this undying and deep dislike that borders on hatred for Apple products), and every single one has fallen short of my needs.... until now. The Pre literally does everything I expected, and then quite a deal more. This phone easily manages all my information, in an interface that runs seamlessly and smoothly (most of the time *wink*) and is truly a pleasure to use. I often find myself opening my calendar or address book, or some other non-entertainment app sheerly for the fun of playing with the OS. As soon as I found out that using Homebrew and patches would not void any warranty on my phone, I was all over it.

Have there been problems? Sure. Is the phone perfect? Nope. Can I deal with the shortcomings? Oh, h377 yes. My biggest (and really only) gripe with this phone is the battery life. I've learned some new charging habits, which have helped, and I know there are extended life batteries out there, but I'm a bit too paranoid about the fact that those extended life batteries void the warranties - all of them - on the $600 hand held computer I bought to use those batteries.

Let's face some facts folks. As has been stated many times in this thread, we all knew what we were walking into. We're early adopters of a brand-spanking-new operating system. We are, in one sense, the future of Palm. We all want to see this device hit it's stride and just blow people away, even moreso than it already has, but that's only gonna happen if the people like us keep giving Palm constructive feedback and criticism about our experience with the device, not by whinging about what isn't there.

When all else fails, I tell the whingy brats that can't seem to find a positive thing about their new Pre to say, and spend all their time touting how device X, Y, or Z is SOOO much better, then I eventually just tell them to STFU, n00b, and go back to that device then. I don't know if it changes anything, but it sure as heck makes me feel better.

This thread was SORELY needed. I think there are FAR more of us out here that are thrilled to drooling-stupid with this device. I know my friends and family are so tired of hearing me extol the virtues and laud this device, but they kindly put up with it. Fact is, this is a perspective that people don't look at until someone waves it in their face, and then they say "Oh, yeah, I agree!", and realise what they have is pretty darned sweet for a device and OS in it's infancy.

I also know that I have handed my phone to MULTIPLE users of Apple, Rim, Android and other smart phones, and told them to have at it. I know that at least 12 of them have switched to the Pre, many from other carriers. The phone speaks for itself. Let's continue the constructive dialogue we have with Palm and Sprint, let's continue to support the AMAZING community we have here and somewhere down the road, we're all going to sit back, grinning smugly, as the world is knocked on it's **** by what this phone can do, and laugh about the droves of people finally coming to their senses and getting one of these devices.

vivent Palm!

~Kelly
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    I think there are FAR more of us out here that are thrilled to drooling-stupid with this device.

~Kelly
    I almost lost my coffee when I read this. Thank you for that

also +1, +5, heck I even give you a +15 for that whole post.. I am currently so floored its all I can say....
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf79 View Post
    that is saying a lot for something that has been out about 6 months
    No it hasn't been out for 6 months! Palm has NOT been making smart phones for 6 months its been much longer, and just because this is a new paradigm for them it shouldn't mean they had to abandon critical features that worked on their previous phones... ie responsiveness, video record, audio record, removable media, sync capability, color/sound customizing, file/contact exchanging phone to phone, etc, etc, etc... STRAIGHT FROM THE BOX!
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmparcha View Post
    No it hasn't been out for 6 months! Palm has NOT been making smart phones for 6 months its been much longer, and just because this is a new paradigm for them it shouldn't mean they had to abandon critical features that worked on their previous phones... ie responsiveness, video record, audio record, removable media, sync capability, color/sound customizing, file/contact exchanging phone to phone, etc, etc, etc... STRAIGHT FROM THE BOX!
    ok so lets clear things up a bit

1) WebOS is about 6 months old. It is not based on the old palm OS line, does not use the same code, compilers, or firmware, etc... this is all NEW to palm meaning each feature needs to be recreated from scratch, and no this is not as easy as it sounds.

2) They did not abandon critical features. Audio/Video recording are both possible and I would expect to see them in future OS updates, just like the old palm with time comes improvements. Also I don't think critical is to you what it is to palm. A pim device (or smartphone) is first a pim, calendar/contacts/phone/other personal information management features... Notice external storage, camera, recording, are not on that immediate list.

3) I don't even see the need for removable media when there are 8 Gigs on the phone to begin with.

4) responsiveness... Maybe the most valid thing you said, however... well honestly mine is not that bad at all... open a bunch of things and you know you have alot open... hmmm kinda like a computer in a way.. Palm has also said they are working on this as well.

5) everything else you said is basically a non-point, Syncing really.. just get over your fear and learn to love the cloud... Try this... sync your contacts to google from your computer... then hook that to a phone.. now your contacts are in 3 places (desktop, cloud, phone)... want them on something else... sync away, or get another pre or pixi and log into google, or any other service supported for that matter... Heck do all of your accounts and let the address book do its work of linking them all. Memo's and todo's have a 3rd party app in the works, and palm backup worked well for apps and other things when I switched... Also Preware/WOSQI pretty much is the answer for any small feature you are looking for... Theme's, sound changes, txt forwarding, mark all as red, etc.... and unlike all the other smart phones patching does NOT void your warranty, so why not join the party, unless your coming from treocentral, then just enjoy your old treo and let webos mature already...

This whole thread asks for patience, not flaming a brand spanking new os, not one single smart phone maker has been able to give everything everyone wants on the first paradigm shift... Look at iPhone1, Storm1, Android1.0... They all sucked for the same but different reasons... each was missing things that people said "had to be there"...

Maybe the Storm does not belong there.. afterall they just made a touch UI for their already existing OS..... Overall we see how well that is going for them...
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWolf79 View Post
    I almost lost my coffee when I read this. Thank you for that

also +1, +5, heck I even give you a +15 for that whole post.. I am currently so floored its all I can say....
    *grins* You are most welcome. I do my best, LOL.
    does anyone ever mention the relative difference in size between Palm / Apple / RIM / Google

Palm is doing, and has been doing a lot with what seems to be a smaller, more nimble group. I'm hooked since my Treo which I got way over 2 1/2 years ago, that phone did things that the iPhone still doesn't do
    I was a little peeved by the lack of basic features early on, but the Homebrew community has plugged most of the gaps for me. Greg Roll's amazing work on the Messaging Plugins addressed my biggest complaint, that being the lack of messaging protocols supported. The only thing I still feel is conspicuous by its absence is the lack of voice dialing, but if I were really that bothered I could always spring for a BlueAnt Q1 or V1 headset. I'm really not all that chuffed by other common complaints, like lack of video recording, (wouldn't use it if it had it), calendar speed, (been a long time since anyone accused me of being speedy), or messaging forwarding.

I am, however, baffled by the number of rabid supporters that feel like every Android or iPhone sold is a personal slap in the face to Pre owners everywhere. I'm not talking about this thread, but you don't have to look far to find a good example. My daughter has a Hero, and I have to say it's a pretty nice phone. Not nice enough to make me want to run out and replace my Pre, but nice. I know there's a contingent of fans of other phones that love to post bad news about the Pre, but I just don't see the point in spreading misinformation about other platforms. Honestly, I find these posts as tiring as the public forumcides that are becoming so common.

As a Sprint Premier customer, (by virtue of my employer), I get to upgrade every year instead of two years. I'm sure that next June I will look at what's being offered and make a decision as to whether to replace the Pre or not, or even upgrade to a newer model of the WebOS platform, if that's an option then. It will probably take a new feature or killer app that's not even available right now to sway me, since my Pre pretty much does everything I need right now.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by morelloX View Post
    does anyone ever mention the relative difference in size between Palm / Apple / RIM / Google

Palm is doing, and has been doing a lot with what seems to be a smaller, more nimble group. I'm hooked since my Treo which I got way over 2 1/2 years ago, that phone did things that the iPhone still doesn't do
    A vary valid and very overlooked point. Palm has what 100 or so people, to the monster of Apple and Google. Not sure how many RIM is running around with but I would assume with the number of different phones they have on the market and their corp. market they are at least palmx2. That said Palm has no choice but to be nimble and quick on their feet. which is why I am pulling for them, also the Pre rocks
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by CheshireFrog View Post
    I am, however, baffled by the number of rabid supporters that feel like every Android or iPhone sold is a personal slap in the face to Pre owners everywhere. I'm not talking about this thread, but you don't have to look far to find a good example. My daughter has a Hero, and I have to say it's a pretty nice phone. Not nice enough to make me want to run out and replace my Pre, but nice. I know there's a contingent of fans of other phones that love to post bad news about the Pre, but I just don't see the point in spreading misinformation about other platforms. Honestly, I find these posts as tiring as the public forumcides that are becoming so common.
    I feel the same way, The pre is a good phone, but the others have their merits, the pre just happens to take care of my needs quite well. Truly there are not enough thanks to go around to all of the stellar homebrew guys and girls out there, they do some really awesome work, and if palm had the extra cash running around I would say some of them should be hired . Competition breeds good phones, how or why else would palm put the pre out (and that is not saying anything bad about the old form factor either)
    I have said it before and I will say it again,, sure the phone has its problems, biz wise its a little short, docs to go and a few other little things like syncing task and notes will be my ultimate Waterloo. Once they come out, this will be the best damn phone out there for me. Calender, no problems, lag issues, NONE, But then again I dont load up the home brew stuff, nor do i keep apps that i have no use for. I purchased this phone from Bell based on my history with Palm. I really like their product. No one has come even close to the functionality that prior Palm devices have.

If Palm was to do one thing for the next update, I would request, however humbly for voice dial. Damn Ontario cops are gonna start nailing me for using my phone eventually, and i have a Bluetooth unit in my vehicle. But you still have to look down at the phone to push a button on photo dialer. On the 401 not a good idea, you canadians who live in Ontario can vouch for that.
    Over all, its a great phone, and frankly, the people who compare it to the Iphone, or numerous others, are comparing apples to beef, not even apples to oranges.

I do applaud the homebrew pple, they do a great job, however, to roll out homebrew to 300 plus sales pple would be a IT nightmare. Presently the company has decided to stay with BB, because of the lack of certain features. I am keeping my Pre lolol I know enough work arounds to get what i need.

Keep up the good work Palm. Just give me voice dial. lolol
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    You have a lot of good points DireWolf79 and I agree with you pretty much to a T.
    I've been nothing but impressed with Palm so far...the speed at which they are moving imho has been unmatched for the stage of development the OS is at. It only has room to expand and improve!
    It's a tough time to bring a new mobile OS to the table seeing as all the competitors have had their chance to build up steam and followers over the years without as much expectation or demand for improvement. I think the potential for the phone has people excited and nervous and that's only making people push harder to see everything that WebOS can do!
    I really feel the thing we've lost is patients...I've been using Palm products for over 6 years and I dove for the Pre the day it came out and I am still far from disappointed. The fact that they've been so open about developing and smart with their hiring gives me encouragement that up is the direction we're headed!
  19.    #39  
    Thank you everyone for the kind words... Its been a while since I have see some much positive in any single thread... I must say I have also noted that it seems more of this attitude has found its way to the front page of precentral what is awesome in and of it self... Maybe I am just seeing what I want to see, or maybe I'm right... Only time will tell with that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedonk13 View Post
    You guys gotta remember one more thing about our great lil Pre....it's on Sprint.

Sprint is a network struggling to get back to greatness...their customer service has goen up 1000% compared to a year ago....they are pushing their coverage systems harder and trying to get 4g items out before ATT and Verizon, not to mention they are going a different (faster speeds) route then ATT/Verizon LTE setup.
    Yes it's going swimmingly at Sprint. Why, just three days ago they had this great news to announce: Sprint Plans to Cut Jobs as Subscriber Rolls Shrink. 2,500 more folks off the payroll just in time for the holidays due to shrinking subscriber base. Ironically, Sprint tries to spin this with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint
    Sprint said yesterday it closed 27 call centers in the past seven quarters, because improved customer satisfaction led to fewer calls per subscriber.
    Or maybe folks gave up on calling and simply left Sprint instead.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast