1.    #1  
    Look, I can't wait for the Treo and all, but I'm thinking that there are going to be problems:

1) Keyboard won't be implemented as well as I'd like
    2) Same thing with the JogRocker.

Here are the hacks I'd like to see for the Treo:

• One button Launch: Hold down a button, launch the associated app. No More Launcher.
    • Jog Rocker=Jog Dial: Sets it up so that in every app but, say, Handspring's new addressbook and dialer, the Jog Rocker's OS calls act just like Sony's Jog Dial (or Handera's...), that way we won't have to pester every single GD developer to add support for it
    • Customizeable buttons: I hear the power button now manages Power, Backlight, and Radio. I also hear that the flip brings you to your speed dial screen whether you like it or not. This should be changed.
    • Dvorak: 'nuff said.
    • Dial-anywhere: Vindigo, AvantGo, Blazer. Tap a number from 7-11 digits, menu pops up, you call it.
    • Alarm management: I still haven't heard if this is done right on the Treo, but I'm not hopeful. Why, oh why have you forsaken OS 4.1?

What else is there we need done? What ideas of mine will turn out to be unnecessary because of intelligent Treo design?
  2. ahc
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

Dvorak: 'nuff said.
    Yes, yes!!
    Will the ROM-based OS prevent feature upgradability like these?
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by jwardell
    Will the ROM-based OS prevent feature upgradability like these?
    Not so much, hacks are generally loaded into main ram, they're not so much upgrades as patches. And they're never supported by manufacturers.
    OK, here are my hack suggestions based on the fact that there is too much redundancy between the jog rocker and the up and down buttons:

1) In the Apps menu, let the up and down buttons scroll screen by screen (as they currently do) but make the jog rocker allow you to move among the icons and open an app by pressing the rocker.

2) When using the earbud in phone mode, it's annoying to have to open the lid to launch Extra Digits (to dial extensions, passcodes and such) and to hang up. So let the jog rocker control the volume level (as it currently does) and make the up and down buttons launch Extra Digits and hang up.

3) In the Speed Dial menu, let the jog rocker allow you to move among the icons and dial (as it currently does) and make the up and down buttons scroll screen by screen.

Please let me know if these hacks are possible with existing software!
    Last edited by burningyen; 02/26/2002 at 02:11 PM.
    I've tried a few hacks but without question, EasyLaunch has been the most helpful for me with the Treo. If you've not tried it, check it out at PalmGear. I like it best because it can be configured without interfering with some of the Treo's button refinements. I much prefer press time on the buttons to combination presses.
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    Your Option+Button Quest is finally answered:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/hackerdud...ton/index.html
    Blue Visor Deluxe ~ Clie T615 ~ Zire 71 ~ Treo 650 ~ Palm Centro