View Poll Results: Will the Treo be expandable?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • You're wrong, they're adding springboard someday.

2 6.45%
  • Likely they'll add a SD slot, or some other non-sprungboard.

18 58.06%
  • hard to say, doubtful.

7 22.58%
  • Nope, never.

4 12.90%
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so the treo isn't going to have a springboard slot, ever, I hereby declare it. The technical difficulties of adding what amounts to a second springboard slot are too great for the benefits they'd get...

so the real question is: will the market make handspring add an expansion slot?

I don't think that HS will add one unless there is an overwhelming demand. they have shown a reticence to have great new tech on their handhelds at the expense of cost--they've got a laserbeam sighted on mid-level users. They don't add flash, don't go hi-res, don't have more than 1 color model (and they're phasing that one out..)...

What do you think? I'm split on it...
    The one thing that seems to militate for some sort of slot - is backup. The ability to restore my handheld while away from my PC is paramount.
    I can't really see anything much larger than SD being used for expansion on something like the Treo. When people want a small phone, they usually don't want to bulk it up with attachments and the like. I know I wouldn't.

I suspect that for expansion, we'll see things that clip onto the hotsync connector like the FlashPlug for Palm devices.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Without a means of carrying a backup module, Memory Stick, or something like this, the TREO will never be an option for me.

I positively will not own ANY PDA that doesn't allow for restoring data while away from the PC. I have become very dependent on my CLIE, and know that I can depend on the backup on the MS to put me back in business should something happen (hard reset )

So, no matter how good the TREO appears, am sure that there will be many who won't go for it for the same reason. Data corruption or loss is just too critical.

If they come out with something to plug onto the hotsync connector, that might suffice, but would probably be much bulkier than a MS.

my 2 cents worth
    RJuhl
    The ONE good advantage (apart from the good service) of the Handsprings are the different springboards, which one can choose according to ones needs. At least it was my point against Palm and for Handspring.

With Treo Handspring will be just one out of many Nokias. I proclaim, that with Treo on the longrun of 5 yrs. they will make no bargain, if no springboards can be attached on the machine.

Dietrich
    Here's an idea: online backup.
    Allow for a backup image to be posted to a server, and if you need to restore while you're away, your treo can be given the address of the file to restore from. It would take a few minutes to download, but that's a better solution than having to carry around any extra hardware, and can be implemented with just a software update.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by jwardell
    Here's an idea: online backup.
    Allow for a backup image to be posted to a server, and if you need to restore while you're away, your treo can be given the address of the file to restore from. It would take a few minutes to download, but that's a better solution than having to carry around any extra hardware, and can be implemented with just a software update.
    I thought of that, but a few minutes?? We're talking up to 16 megs of data at 9600 baud. Too slow. I would support online backup of core app data--contacts, schedule, todo, and memo. I'd even drop a buck a month for it.
    I e-mailed Handspring begging for a backup device for the Treo. I suggest you do the same.
    DietrichBohn!

I would be willing to pay for fast and reliable online backup too. Perhaps this is a business BlueNomad, the maker of the BackupBuddy can get into. The backups would be a lot faster with the GPRS service when it is finally rolled out.

Originally posted by dietrichbohn

I thought of that, but a few minutes?? We're talking up to 16 megs of data at 9600 baud. Too slow. I would support online backup of core app data--contacts, schedule, todo, and memo. I'd even drop a buck a month for it.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by yardie
    DietrichBohn!

I would be willing to pay for fast and reliable online backup too. Perhaps this is a business BlueNomad, the maker of the BackupBuddy can get into. The backups would be a lot faster with the GPRS service when it is finally rolled out.

I wouldn't be willing to pay much. The treo is good for me b/c my data needs are less than my voice needs. GPRS will speed it up... but if I were a business user, the i705 looks a little better to me than the treo right now--if only because it's (1) available, (2) expandable and back-upable.

Handspring doesn't even have "first-to-market" advantage right now.

Where's your ball? Where's your ball, Handspring? Go get your ball, go get it!

did you drop it?
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Here is my idea for a backup module - you've seen these USB memory keys, right? http://www.pc.ibm.com/ca/options/pdf...Bmemorykey.pdf

Why not make one of these with 16mb of memory and compatible with the Treo interface/plug?

You've typically got your keys with you anyhow, right? So it wouldn't be a significant increase in the hardware you have to carry. Throw it on your key chain and you always have your backup with you.

Is something like this feasible? Seems to me it is, but I don't know anything about the interface/plug.

Any thoughts?

Mike
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/...dor=IBMOptions

So memory size isn't an issue. One issue is that it says the key is powered by the USB port. Power would have to be provided for the key by the Treo.

Mike
    Originally posted by ginmtb
    http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/...dor=IBMOptions

So memory size isn't an issue. One issue is that it says the key is powered by the USB port. Power would have to be provided for the key by the Treo.

Mike
    If I remember correctly, USB works on a master/slave relationship. The PC has "master" hardware, the USB device has "slave" hardware. What you're proposing is merging 2 slaves. I think this is non-trivial.

Maybe Handspring will implement this: http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/
    Jeff
  14.    #14  
    They make similiar backup modules for the Palm V. It need not be a USB interface, it can be plain old serial, although it's much slower. that's the solution I'd like.