Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Let me change my response a bit.

First, are you saying that I could call Cingular tomorrow, order their Wirleess Web service on my account, and configure my VP and Blazer software to connect to the Internet & Email via Cingular's Wireless Web service and WITHOUT having to dial an outside ISP? If this is what you are saying, then you have shut me up in that aspect.

Secondly, if you are right and that is the complicated procedure & those are the technical settings a person must make to his/her Treo, how do you expect a 'regular' consumer (HS's target of the Treo) to make such difficult aftermarket changes? You could do it. But could Jane Doe down the street? Such settings should come preconfigured in EVERY Treo sold. That's my point if your right.
    Yep, if you can get the details from the network ( and they don't just say "sorry, those are in the phone we sold you" ) and configure it, you should be able to set the VP up this way. Of course, the answer you get will depend on the cluefulness of the customer support people you speak with. Or you find a friend with a WAP phone and look at all the settings in theirs, and transfer the relevant ones to your VP.

From other posts, it also sounds as if it will depend what area you're in - some people have reported using VP with no per minute charge, while others have been told "no you must pay per minute."

As for the setting it up, yep, that should be a lot simpler. I guess somewhere along the line, this is an issue for Handspring and the networks to sort out between them. It looks like they've gone some of the way:

Reading the Treo tech docs, I see that it can configure information including 'bundled connection/single login' which is the usual way this is done in the UK - ie all the different mobiles on a network use the same name/password combination to authenticate.

According to the technical data Handspring provides, the config is a combination of information read from the SIM and data on the install CD, which are combined to set everything up, plus a web site that can carry updates.

I hope it works smoothly; as soon as my colleagues on What Mobile in the UK get hold of one, I'll report back. Certainly, I agree that if you had to work out all this yourself, it would be a royal pain, as it is for the VP.

The file that refers to this, incidentally, is TechRef_Treo_091 on the Handspring site, and page 35 is the one that explains the configuration process.

I can only imagine that perhaps all the information for the database on the CD referred to wasn't available for the demo units, which would perhaps explain why they told people to use Earthlink and provided accounts.

In the mobile phone world, of course, things are produced on a much larger scale; many networks will even be printing their own boxes and manuals for phones, so customising them with their own logos, data settings and so forth is just a part of that process. Handspring probably aren't doing sufficient volume to manage that yet, which is why things in the VP world are so clumsy. But if the Treo installer works as the TechRef says it will, then it should address people's concerns about setting up the data connection. As long as the networks give Handspring the info to do it.

Nigel.
    Seems to me that some of this is answered in the setup process. It's also mentioned in the FAQ:
    Q. How do I set up my Treo communicator for data functionality?
    A. First and foremost, ensure that you have subscribed to one of your wireless carrier's data services plans and that your carrier has activated your plan for you. Without enabled data services, you will not be able to browse the web, use messenger applications or retrieve email. Secondly, the Treo communicator relies on an ISP to establish a data connection so customers need to have the dial-up number handy to set-up network preferences. In some cases, your wireless carrier provides those ISP services. The Handspring CD that comes with the Treo communicator includes a data installation wizard that guides you through the process of setting up user names, passwords, domain names, etc. Once these are set, you will be able to take advantage of wireless data applications.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I think Handspring would have a logistics quagmire if was suppose to pre-configure the phones to work like regular cell phones (i.e tied to individual networks). Remember that you get regular phones directly from the cell phone provider not the manufacturer such as Nokia. Handspring is selling the Treo and VP bundled with a SIM card...thats about it. The phone is not tied to any network (i.e is not locked) like regular phones and it is unbranded (no VoiceStream etc on it). In fact, the phone is unlocked...unlike most phones that you get from your provider.

Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer
    Let me change my response a bit.

First, are you saying that I could call Cingular tomorrow, order their Wirleess Web service on my account, and configure my VP and Blazer software to connect to the Internet & Email via Cingular's Wireless Web service and WITHOUT having to dial an outside ISP? If this is what you are saying, then you have shut me up in that aspect.

Secondly, if you are right and that is the complicated procedure & those are the technical settings a person must make to his/her Treo, how do you expect a 'regular' consumer (HS's target of the Treo) to make such difficult aftermarket changes? You could do it. But could Jane Doe down the street? Such settings should come preconfigured in EVERY Treo sold. That's my point if your right.
    I've been a Voicestream user for a couple of years now and have used it for internet access for my Ipaq. With upgraded service in my area (Melbourne, FL) I know get 14,400 speed. (It's really too bad, if what I hear is true, that the Treo's modem is only capable of 9600.

Anyway, I'm jumping ship to the Palm OS for the very first time after having grown weary of glitches in the new 2002 upgrade. I've ordered the Treo (still waiting) without service since the kind folks at Voicestream decided they didn't want to lose me as a customer and credited my account the $150.00 difference in the price of the phone! That, my friends, is good business!

So when the Treo comes I'm just going to slide the SIM from my 8290 into the Treo and expect to be able to continue to handle voice and data calls using only my package minutes. I have never used iStream or the previous data packages they've offered. I do wonder though if those getting the Treo with new Voicestream activation will somehow be forced into some other kind of agreement.

Bruce
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12