Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    i was wondering if anybody knows whether the treo will be usable as modem with a laptop (like any data enabled mobile phone with an infrared port)?

    i am thinking that it is very likely that this would be the case, but have never read or heard anything directly stating so.
    Beblawi
  2. #2  
    The answer to that is no. You wont be abel to use your Treo as a modem for another device.

    Originally posted by beblawi
    i was wondering if anybody knows whether the treo will be usable as modem with a laptop (like any data enabled mobile phone with an infrared port)?

    i am thinking that it is very likely that this would be the case, but have never read or heard anything directly stating so.
  3.    #3  
    how come?
    technically, as far as i have understood, the treo has a built-in modem (these are really virtual modems).

    any phone in the market that can access WAP and has IR has worked as a modem with me so far.

    why is the treo different?
    Beblawi
  4. #4  
    probably not out of the box. But I can see why somebody writing some software to link the IR to the modem part....
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  5. #5  
    Something else to consider might be that the Ir port is linked only to the Palm side of the device making using the device as a wireless modem through Ir impossible. I know its that way with my Samsung I300. Fortunately for me, I can just pop the I300 in the cradle or connect the hotsync cable and my computer will recognize it as a plain, old 14.4 modem and dial out just fine, no problem.

    Marty
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by beblawi
    any phone in the market that can access WAP and has IR has worked as a modem with me so far.
    why is the treo different?
    It depends on whether Handspring has built the Treo to have that capability or not. Unfortunately, my Visorphone can't do it. Could someone who has used the Treo let us know if it can do it? If it can, I'll be *very* interested in upgrading!
  7. #7  
    It cannot...at least not out of the box.


    Originally posted by virtualskeptic

    It depends on whether Handspring has built the Treo to have that capability or not. Unfortunately, my Visorphone can't do it. Could someone who has used the Treo let us know if it can do it? If it can, I'll be *very* interested in upgrading!
  8.    #8  
    well, do you know whether it is an easily programmable feature.
    i mean the thing is a palm os device at the end of the day, and that is the beauty of these little devils. it would be a real shame if it cannot be done due to some hardware limitation. anybody know for sure how this works?
    Beblawi
  9. #9  
    Originally posted by yardie
    The answer to that is no. You wont be abel to use your Treo as a modem for another device.

    Can't believe they charge all this for a mobile with data capabilities and do not provide it as a modem as well... So, is it a handicapped phone?

    That's another reason why I moved to a Bluetooth solution with a real mobile phone... I can use it with my Visor Prism, or with my notebook. And I can also manage the phone from my desktop, using the TDK USB Bluetooth.

    And the T39m is tiny
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by freitasm


    Can't believe they charge all this for a mobile with data capabilities and do not provide it as a modem as well... So, is it a handicapped phone?

    That's another reason why I moved to a Bluetooth solution with a real mobile phone... I can use it with my Visor Prism, or with my notebook. And I can also manage the phone from my desktop, using the TDK USB Bluetooth.

    And the T39m is tiny
    I think you're missing the point of the treo...
    With the treo you only have to carry 1 device...the treo. And not a mobile+laptop of PDA.

    It's that zen thing again...


    I'm sure withing a year there will be somebody who wrote a program to use your treo as modem via IR.
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

    I think you're missing the point of the treo...
    With the treo you only have to carry 1 device...the treo. And not a mobile+laptop of PDA.

    It's that zen thing again...


    I'm sure withing a year there will be somebody who wrote a program to use your treo as modem via IR.
    I know about the Zen thing. And I used to have a VP just because of that!

    The problem is that mobility requires more than a small screen sometimes. I need the laptop to do some of my work. I need to connect to our VPN, from hotels, from the airport, from the customer site. Expecting something to happen in the future is not good for a lot of people.

    Of course the wow factor is great. People "wow" when I use my Bluetooth gear too! But we need functionality in real life...

    If only for the Zen thing, I could use the Nokia MobileCard in my notebook PCMCIA slot and have a GSM data enabled notebook. Don't even need Bluetooth!

    But thanks for the message. I understand different people have different requirements!
  12. #12  
    Yet again another key feature left out of the Treo by Handspring. The Treo seems to have more cell phone options left out then put in.
  13. #13  
    Originally posted by freitasm


    I know about the Zen thing. And I used to have a VP just because of that!

    The problem is that mobility requires more than a small screen sometimes. I need the laptop to do some of my work. I need to connect to our VPN, from hotels, from the airport, from the customer site.
    Most hotels either have broadband internet or an analoge line nowadays so you can still connect that way (and a lot faster too)

    Originally posted by freitasm

    Expecting something to happen in the future is not good for a lot of people.
    I disagree, I think this is the strongpoint of PalmOS, what is not here today will be there tomorrow because of the big developper community. This way the needs of most users can be catered without adding cost for people who don't need the functionality...

    Originally posted by freitasm

    Of course the wow factor is great. People "wow" when I use my Bluetooth gear too! But we need functionality in real life...
    I agree, functionality is what counts.


    Originally posted by freitasm

    If only for the Zen thing, I could use the Nokia MobileCard in my notebook PCMCIA slot and have a GSM data enabled notebook. Don't even need Bluetooth!
    true, if you have that great

    Originally posted by freitasm

    But thanks for the message. I understand different people have different requirements!
    I think thats the whole thing, few user will be interested in this feature. adding it would add more cost to the allready expensive Treo.
    I would like to have seen it too, but don't really need it...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  14. #14  
    Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer
    Yet again another key feature left out of the Treo by Handspring. The Treo seems to have more cell phone options left out then put in.
    I think you're being a bit harsh here. How many cell phones do have the modem functionality? Most of them dont...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  15. #15  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

    I think you're being a bit harsh here. How many cell phones do have the modem functionality? Most of them dont...
    I disagree. Nearly all of of SprintPCS & Nextel phones operate as wireless modems. I believe all of Verizon's Motorola phones operate as modems, as well as most other digital providers.

    The reason for this is that since the network is already digital, a "modem" isn't required to translate the signal between the PDA/Laptop from analog to digital and vice-versa. Most new digital phones have this capabilty.

    I don't think we're being harsh. I think we are being critical of a $399 product that lacks the features of smaller phones which cost 1/2 the price. I don't think shoving in the PalmOS, a larger screen, and a thumb keyboard can justify such a higher price.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer


    I disagree. Nearly all of of SprintPCS & Nextel phones operate as wireless modems. I believe all of Verizon's Motorola phones operate as modems, as well as most other digital providers.

    The reason for this is that since the network is already digital, a "modem" isn't required to translate the signal between the PDA/Laptop from analog to digital and vice-versa. Most new digital phones have this capabilty.

    I don't think we're being harsh. I think we are being critical of a $399 product that lacks the features of smaller phones which cost 1/2 the price. I don't think shoving in the PalmOS, a larger screen, and a thumb keyboard can justify such a higher price.
    Most GSM phones don't have the modem/IR functionality... At least not in Europe and Asia...

    Smaller phones might look cheaper, but they are not...
    If you add up the real cost of a cell phone with IR/modem functionality, a PDA and a keyboard you'll definately pay more AND carry around a lot of gear...

    I would have liked to see this feature too, but saying it is missing a basic functionality is simply not true..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer


    I disagree. Nearly all of of SprintPCS & Nextel phones operate as wireless modems. I believe all of Verizon's Motorola phones operate as modems, as well as most other digital providers.


    The questions is: How many people actually use their phones as modems fro laptops? I bet not very many. in fact, I have never seen anyone use their phone as a modem for their laptiop. Its a lot easier and faster to plug it into a network or use dialup via a phone line.
  18.    #18  
    Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer


    I disagree. Nearly all of of SprintPCS & Nextel phones operate as wireless modems. I believe all of Verizon's Motorola phones operate as modems, as well as most other digital providers.
    in fact any phone that supports data and has IR, is in fact a modem. my question is basically a technical question; i am really not trying to take the treo apart (the reviews will either succeed or fail at doing that, and i really hope they fail, b/c i really want one). back to the point: is it technically feasible to make it work as a modem (i.e. what is needed; a driver for windows? are there any hardware specs that MUST be in the treo for this to work in the first place?)

    regardless of zen, i personally have an important use for this function (i am often having to work from a boat where GSM coverage is the only thing available, and the palm just won't do). i know that i am not the typical user here, and i am not suggesting that this must be a built-in feature. but if i find out that it is not programmable to start with (i.e. if you cannot do something to make the IR talk to the laptop as a modem, i.e. data communication which the treo already does out of the box, but not thru IR), then i think that handspring missed the zen of palmos to start with, which is that anything (pretty much) can be added as an app.

    if somebody knows, technically, what would be needed for this to work, then pls enlighten me.

    thanks
    Beblawi
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by beblawi


    in fact any phone that supports data and has IR, is in fact a modem. my question is basically a technical question; i am really not trying to take the treo apart (the reviews will either succeed or fail at doing that, and i really hope they fail, b/c i really want one). back to the point: is it technically feasible to make it work as a modem (i.e. what is needed; a driver for windows? are there any hardware specs that MUST be in the treo for this to work in the first place?)

    regardless of zen, i personally have an important use for this function (i am often having to work from a boat where GSM coverage is the only thing available, and the palm just won't do). i know that i am not the typical user here, and i am not suggesting that this must be a built-in feature. but if i find out that it is not programmable to start with (i.e. if you cannot do something to make the IR talk to the laptop as a modem, i.e. data communication which the treo already does out of the box, but not thru IR), then i think that handspring missed the zen of palmos to start with, which is that anything (pretty much) can be added as an app.

    if somebody knows, technically, what would be needed for this to work, then pls enlighten me.

    thanks
    Actually technically on the hardware front everything you need is there... the treo allready has the GSM modem built in to make the datapart working.
    So all you need is somesoftware that links the IR port with the GSM modem.
    In order to do that you need to know the protocols used and write an app.. It will be pretty low level programming so you'll probably need an experienced programmer...

    Does that answer your question?
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  20. #20  
    Originally posted by beblawi
    in fact any phone that supports data and has IR, is in fact a modem.
    Not strictly speaking... for example, the early IR-equipped Nokia's like the 6150 had both support for data and an Infra-Red port, but they didn't contain a modem.

    To make a data call with such a phone, you needed a software modem to run on your computer, including TDK's offering for the Palm platform (which wouldn't work with Handspring, because of the different serial port and a lack of IR support from TDK).

    However, most modern phones with IR have a hardware modem - ie something that will respond to commands via a cable or the IR port, and act just like a Hayes AT-compatible modem. In that case, you don't even really need a driver. At worst, tell Windows it has a standard Hayes modem, and add the GSM commands to request the type of connection you want to the init string; you can so similarly on Mac OS.

    With regard to how widespread modems are in the GSM world, the buyer's guide at the back of the current issue of What Mobile lists 78 phones either available or due to launch shortly, of which 28 have an infra-red modem allowing them to be used with a PDA.

    Several others can be used with a cable connection, and the total figure include pre-pay and some phones that are clearly not aimed at the business market, including quite a few that you'll get free when you connect.

    If you consider just 'business class' phones, then I'd say that the majority have an IR modem.

    Nigel.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions