Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I like the Treo, especially the color model. But it is missing some features which I feel are soomewhat disappointing on a $400 cell phone. Here is just my list a of a few items I feel are bltantly missing:

1. Voice Dialing/Address Book

2. Voice Memo Recording Feature (could this be anymore obviouslu needed than on a PDA, nevermind a PDA/Phone combo! Most cellphones over $100 have this feature! It comes in handy when someone on your speaking to on the phone wants to give you their number. All you have to do is press the Voice-Memo button and record them sayoing there number and put it in your address book later. The Treo doesn't have this feature.

3. Upgradability to 3G technology of 300kbps. The Treo will be upgradable to 56k, but this is not 3G. I can't really fault HS for this. I'm sure that furture Treo versions will have 3G capability..but who knows.

4. No CDMA-version. Why is HS obsessed with GSM service.? Apparently they musty be aware of something most of the U.S. isn't.

5. Bluetooth support for features like wirleess headsets.

These are just a few features I would have liked to have seen. But I think the Treo is great. I'll just wait until the price drops signifcantly on the color model and a CDMA or WCDMA (3G) version becomes available.

Anyone else have any features you would have liked to have seen?
    My hand....

..voice dialing is nice too, I'd like that, and since that tends to go along with memos, throw'er in there too...

I don't mind the lack of bluetooth so much, just how much are BT headsets anyway? The speakerphone makes up for it...

I'd also like to have seen an SD slot...

RE: GSM. me, I like it better for my needs. I think it's better for HS too because it's global... What I would have liked to see is an analog-mode... I do sometimes leave the city...
  3.    #3  
    Actually I had forgotten about the SD slot. The new Toshiba e570 PDA incorporates a both a Compact Flash Type II and a Secure Digital (SD) Media slot.

Why wouldn't Handspring think to add such a thing to their lineup. Its obvioud that they are aiming this product at the public as a higher-end cellphone. Most of these types of personhs wouldn't even consider these slots I guess.

It seems that Handsprings resources are stretched though. Why not introduce various flavors of the Treo? A basic model and higher end models with slots etc.

The speakerphone is great, but it couldn't beat the convenience of a Bluetooth headset. Eveyone in a room can hear a speakerphone, but you could talk on your phone anywhere without worrying about the wire being damaged etc. For example, I damaged two headsets for my Visophone because I put the headset in my pocket. Now I'm considering a Jabra retractable unit.

Granted, Bluetooth in a PDA/Phone combo would have been a pioneering feature, which Handspring doesn't seem to have the resources to be able to do anymore. Ayyhow..check out the bluetooth at Ericksson's website at www.Ericsson.com The headset is kinda big, which I don't like. I am sure they'll get more compact in time.

I didn't now that Sony and Ericsson had teamed up to make mobil phones. Watch out for Sony in the wireless market...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You know, I was just going to ask if anyone else had noticed that the Treo doesn't have a voice recorder feature. Seems like an obvious feature to add....

Some kind expansion slot would be nice, be it SD/MMC or CF. You almost wonder if they'd thought about a detachable Springboard slot a la the Edge, but seems that didn't get such a great reception the first time around.
    Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer
    4. No CDMA-version. Why is HS obsessed with GSM service.? Apparently they musty be aware of something most of the U.S. isn't.
    yes. they seem to be aware of the world outside of the usa. and you're correct, "most of the u.s. isn't."

mc
    I would like to see some kind of expansion as well. Likely they felt that it would interfere with the design of the Treo but you would think they would have included an SD slot or CF slot. A thought, would it be possible to make a Springboard adapter for a compact flash slot? Kinda like the detachable sled for the edge but it would connect to a compact flash slot. If you could, then I would go with dual CF and SD/MMC expansion.
    Did you just go near a burning hot river of lava or are you just happy to see me?
    GSM is the best choice. It's the standard in Europe and, from what I've read, the better standard of the two. Many Europeans make use of GSM messaging (you'll rarely see a German student without their 'handy', aka cell phone, but their primary use is text messages).

And I think that's what Handspring is counting on. The Treo can trounce the European PDA market by focusing on the GSM standard in a PalmOS handheld/phone. It's not as useful in the United States, but there is some GSM support and hopefully it will grow.
    My request isn't something they should add but more something they should do away with ... if they could get rid of the external antenna and internalize it it would reduce the form/size factor even more and it would be more appealing :-)
    Maybe it is just me, but i do not trust phones that do not have antennas. I just feel that the reception will eb worse than those do do have antenna.

Originally posted by arkitekt
    My request isn't something they should add but more something they should do away with ... if they could get rid of the external antenna and internalize it it would reduce the form/size factor even more and it would be more appealing :-)
    Originally posted by yardie
    Maybe it is just me, but i do not trust phones that do not have antennas. I just feel that the reception will eb worse than those do do have antenna.
    Many of the latest Nokia's have no protruding antenna; instead, it's hidden away inside. And RF performance certainly doesn't seem to have suffered. If anything, the present phones, like my 8210 or the newer 8310, have much better performance than older models, such as the 2140 I started out with, or the 8110.

Nigel.
    can't wait to get the GPRS-support so that with appropriate software it could check my mail every 5 minutes.
    at the moment checking mail with tr?o is more painful and time-consuming than it was with Pro and Ericsson t39.
    I'd have to say that the lack of voice dialing is what I find most disappointing. I went from a tiny T28 to the big'ol' Prism/VisorPhone and I do not really mind the size much, but I miss voice dialing in the car. I have watched the demo videos on the web, but I keep thinking, "one-handed dialing is a nice feature, but you still need to look at and/or handle the phone." (I haven't handled a Treo yet, so maybe one-handed dialing is all that and a bag of microchips).

I guess someone could argue that voice dialing eats up memory (does it?) and that your PDA has so much room for hundreds of contacts - each one with several phone numbers assigned. The Ericcson R520 has a neat trick for that - you say the name of the contact, then you say which number you want to use - like "Home" or "Mobile" or whatever. That way you save on the number of voice labels you have to store in memory. (And, no, there isn't room to give every contact a voice label.)

It seems like voice dialing could be developed as Palm software, but I suppose that will just have to wait for a future Treo.

Oh, on the GSM/CDMA preference - I really like GSM. The ability to switch to another phone by just moving your sim is nice (I sometimes go back to my tiny T28 on weekends). AT&T and Cingular plan to switch over to the GSM standard, so more US coverage is coming, eventually. And isn't the 3G wireless technology WCDMA actually an evolution of GSM, not CDMA?
    Biggest disappointment is that you still need a seperate dialup ISP ($19.95 a month) and data access ($0.15 a minute) to use the internet features of the phone.

That's dumb. Most other phones have the capability to use Cingular's own "ISP" for their data features, eliminating the per minute charge. So should Treo.
    1. Release it!

2. Voice memo

3. Assignable ring tones for each person in your phonebook

4. Voice dialing

5. Did I mention, release it already! Or at least let me preorder.

If you haven't guessed, these will be features that I'll be losing from my current cell phone.
    You seem to be comparing apples and oranges. most phones on the U.S market now are limited to what they can do with data. For the most part, all they can do is WAP. The Treo can do a lot more with data so will take up alot more bandwidth. I have heard of people using VoiceStream etc with the VisorPhone WITHOUT paying 0.15 cents a minute for data calls (minutes deducted from regular cell minutes). I am sure that you can do the same.

When the GPRS becomes available later in the year, all this will be irrelevant. Your Treo will always be connected to the internet without the need for an ISP. All you would pay for is the data that you actually use.

As far what I want to see in a TREO
    1. Color
    2. A memory slot (MMC or SD).
    3, Voice Dial (althought I never used this on my regular phone..i think its a nice thing to have).

Originally posted by jchristopher
    Biggest disappointment is that you still need a seperate dialup ISP ($19.95 a month) and data access ($0.15 a minute) to use the internet features of the phone.

That's dumb. Most other phones have the capability to use Cingular's own "ISP" for their data features, eliminating the per minute charge. So should Treo.

You can keep posting this as many times as you like, but it's still not going to change the facts; if you're using a proper GSM network, then there's absolutely no reason why you can't use Treo, or VisorPhone, with the network's own ISP.

The review that talks about this, frankly, isn't terribly well written, and it's obvious the guy has a major downer on the Treo. But he doesn't say it won't work with the Cingular's own service, does he?

He says it needs a dialup ISP - which is effectively what every WAP phone connecting via GSM uses, whether it's on the network or not. Trawl through the settings on something like an Ericsson or Nokia WAP phone and you'll find something very similar to Palm OSs network prefs. Just like the Palm, the last mobile phone I reviewed (Ericsson T65) even has multiple profiles for different ISPs, allowing me to switch between Orange (on-net) and several off-net accounts at will.

Why he used Earthlink, I have no idea; but since Treo has a standard TCP/IP stack and dialer, there is absolutely no reason for it not to work with whatever data service is provided by the network. Perhaps Handspring have given reviewers an Earthlink id because they know it will work wherever the reviewer is, while the patchy state of US GSM provision means you probably can't guarantee that the carrier in your area will have a dialup service on the network.

It's going to be very difficult indeed to design (especially using a standard GSM chipset) a device that can access an off-net ISP and not an on-net one, since the connection is handled in the same way - it's just a GSM data call, wherever it's made to.

Frankly, I'd not put much store in that review at all; it sounds like the writer is having a bad hair day to me.

Nigel.
    That might be how it is on Voicestream, unfortunately, Cingular is always $0.15 a minute.
    What id like to see is, on the treo with a keyboard, id like it if the buttons had a little dip in the center of them in case i want to type in a qucik message by pressing the buttons with the stylus.
    JChristopher,

When GPRS is out, you will be able to pay for the data you actually use instead of the time you spend to connect. This is the ideal solution. And there is no need to dial into anything. Wanna surf the web? Just launch blazer and vouila you are on the net seconds later.

That might be how it is on Voicestream, unfortunately, Cingular is always $0.15 a minute.
    With the planned pricing I've seen so far for GPRS, I'd be surprised if anyone uses it at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast