1.    #1  
    Hi everyone!

HPUG will be hosting Bob Wudeck from Handspring this Saturday. He seems to really know his stuff, so I was wondering if there are any specific questions anyone here on the boards would like me to bring up either at the meeting (which will be videotaped) or just in conversation. Of course I'll be posting all the answers back here .
    whats the future of the Visor line? Will they come out with new visors?

Prism II. Pipe Dream?

Color Treo. Really only 3-4 months away?

better screen resolution, is handspring ever coming out with a device with one?

Now that Sony has taken over inovation in the non-phone\palm space, how will handspring react? Will they try to compete in the middle ground?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Treo Questions (you asked for it):

• Is the Flip customizable in the same way the buttons are?
    • How does the backlight work? Can I set it to automatically activate?
    • does it also have fast lookup a la the Edge/Pro/Neo (i.e. address lookup w/out flip...)
    • Does the jog rocker work with anything other than the address lookup? Does it use the same APIs as Sony's jogwheel or Handera's jogwheel?
    • Timeline for GPRS? Will the average consumer be able to get Push email from their desktop? From any email account? How will this work?
    • Stylus: it looks similiar to the standard Visor stylus, although the top is a bit different. Can I fit my pentopia into it?
    • IR port strength?
    • How many units are they making for their initial shipments?
    • Manufacturing location?
    • If he'll acknowledge previous Quality Control problems (Edge..), ask him if he anticipates any issues w/ the Treo?
    • Is there or is there not an upgrade program for Visorphone users? If not, why did they drop it?
    • Is the screen plastic or glass?
    • Why not 4.1? No, really, why not? What's the problem?
    • Why not a flashable OS? No, really, why not? Just how much does it cost?
    • Ship date?
    • Accessories? Anything coming down the pike from 3rd party developers?
    • Who will carry it? Besy Buy? Voicestream retailers?
    • What bugs were the hardest to eliminate?
    • What ratio of grafitti:Keyboard do they expect?
    • What is his imaginary friend's middle name?

yep... you had better ask all of theses!
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn

-Is the screen plastic or glass?
    -How does the backlight work?
    The "Handspring Treo Product Technical Specification and Development Guide (0.90)" (see my thread here on how to find it) says:

Screen: .6mm glass TDF LCD with plastic digitizer screen

Power Button: Power for the handheld, for the backlight and for the "wireless mode".
    Jeff
    A lot of the questions you guys are asking are confidential company information. No company reps is going to answer them without getting into trouble. Ask questions that are more likely to get answered. Companies often do not discuss products before they are released or nearly released.

dietrichbohn

I believe I can answer some of your questions:

1. Is the Flip customizable in the same way the buttons are?

No I dont think so. But I dont see why this can't be done with a hack of some kind.

2. How does the backlight work? Can I set it to automatically activate?

Backlight work like regular backlight. MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the backlight on monochrome devices. Kinder of like the glow backlights we see on some cell phones. Backlight come on automatically when phone ring I believe so you can see who is calling even when you are in the dark.

3. Does the jog rocker work with anything other than the address lookup? Does it use the same APIs as Sony's jogwheel or Handera's jogwheel?

Jog Rocker work with fast lookup and phone app. I doubt that it is the same as Sony or Handera's API. After all Sony and Handera have their own API..why wouldn't Handspring?

4. Stylus: it looks similiar to the standard Visor stylus, although the top is a bit different. Can I fit my pentopia into it?

It is not the same as the standard Visor stylus. Stylus is shorter and a bit fatter (if i can remember correctly). Silo is a bit different to. Stylus will not fall out of this one.

5. IR port strength?

I would think that it is the same as the Visor series.

6. How many units are they making for their initial shipments?
    Manufacturing location?

I doubt that you will get an answer to these questions. I would think that this is confidential information.

7. Is the screen plastic or glass?

Screen, at least the top layer, is plastic.

8. Why not 4.1? No, really, why not? What's the problem?

Palm OS 4.1 is useless on a Treo. It has no expansion slot.

9. Why not a flashable OS? No, really, why not? Just how much does it cost?

The question is why do you need a flash os? I doubt that the Treo will eb abel to use Palm OS 5 when it is released at the end of the year. I think that some of the firmware will be upgradeable such as the phone software.

10. What bugs were the hardest to eliminate?

Funny questions. Good Luck getting an answer.
    Originally posted by yardie
    A lot of the questions you guys are asking are confidential company information. No company reps is going to answer them without getting into trouble. Ask questions that are more likely to get answered. Companies often do not discuss products before they are released or nearly released.
    I never said I wanted an answer, I just wanted him to ask the question

Palm OS 4.1 is useless on a Treo. It has no expansion slot.
    Not useless. It has better alarm mangement, and poorly developed apps will work better with it. Bug fixes. Not to mention the PRPRPR $factor$.
    The question is why do you need a flash os? I doubt that the Treo will eb abel to use Palm OS 5 when it is released at the end of the year. I think that some of the firmware will be upgradeable such as the phone software.

I suppose that I would want to be able to use OS 4.6, or whatever. The bottom line is that if the Treo is really successful, there will probably be little UI tweaks that need to get added. Patches are annoying. Although the potential gain is probably minimal, the cost is just as small, if not smaller. And, again, there's always the PRPRPR $factor$.
    I think that the Treo will have Flash memory like the VisorPhone will allow the firmware to be updated. I dont think that you are goign to be able to upgrade the os though.

Originally posted by dietrichbohn

I suppose that I would want to be able to use OS 4.6, or whatever. The bottom line is that if the Treo is really successful, there will probably be little UI tweaks that need to get added. Patches are annoying. Although the potential gain is probably minimal, the cost is just as small, if not smaller. And, again, there's always the PRPRPR $factor$. [/$B$]
    Originally posted by yardie
    I think that the Treo will have Flash memory like the VisorPhone will allow the firmware to be updated. I dont think that you are goign to be able to upgrade the os though.
    That's my take also. But just how much is stored in the Phone's flash, I wonder?
    Reading a review of Treo on MSNBC I found the following passage curious:

"Treo will also be software updateable to take advantage of future GPRS data networks (with speeds jumping from the current 9600 baud to a promised 56K) when they go online sometime in 2002."

So, my question for Handspring is, "What's wrong with the GPRS data network Voicestream has been operating for months?"

I see the reviewer mentions iStream, but dismisses it.
  10.    #10  
    Great questions! What I'm going to probably end up doing is just print out the thread before the meeting and try to throw them in whenever possible. I agree that many will probably not get answers, at least official ones, but that it would still be interesting. Keep them coming!
    I guess I'm curious as to where the bonus software is located... Is blazer, the mail app, etc... stored in the Phone's RAM, the unflashable RAM chip, or in the 16 megs of user RAM?
    I have one question.....Why did they cancel thier presentation of the Treo at the CPUG meeting in december?
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
    Originally posted by timbond
    So, my question for Handspring is, "What's wrong with the GPRS data network Voicestream has been operating for months?"
    It's not handspring, it's wizcomm, the maker of the GSM chipset in the Treo. They haven't yet released the flash update to make their product compatible, so thus Handspring can't make the Treo compatible..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  14.    #14  
    The meeting was amazing in so many ways. He talked about the future of the springboard platform, the making of the Treo, flash ROM (or lack therof), Handspring going with other OSes, and so much more! It'll take me a day or two to absorb everything and write it down, but we got most of it on video that we're looking to put online soon, probably in DivX format. I asked nearly every question above over the course of the meeting.
    TRANSCRIPT PLEASE! ASAP!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I wanna know what was said. Please post tidbits at least!