Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Handspring has removed the comment of a discount on the TREO for current visorphone customers form the FAQ section. I guess the visorphone customers are going to get screwed??
    Originally posted by bacchus920
    Handspring has removed the comment of a discount on the TREO for current visorphone customers form the FAQ section. I guess the visorphone customers are going to get screwed??
    What can the Treo do that your current Visor/VisorPhone combo can't?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Fit in my pants pocket?
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Originally posted by mrjoec
    Fit in my pants pocket?
    Then it appears your only option would be to do what any other Visor owner would have to do: eBay your current rig to buy a new one. Handspring tried the 'upgrade' offer on the Edge and it still evidently didn't help the line, so I doubt they'd set themselves up to possibly get burned again.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    • - act as a speakerphone
      - hold 16MB of software while acting as a phone
      - dial one-handed
      - browse and select with a jog-rocker
      - accept data on a built-in keyboard
      - be upgraded to GPRS
      - display true 16 greylevel (4-bit) images in any application
      - recharge the PDA and phone battery at one time

Obviously a couple of points above would not be issues for Pro or Prism owners, but with my VDX/VP combo, they all apply.
    Jeff
    Handspring tried the 'upgrade' offer on the Edge and it still evidently didn't help the line, so I doubt they'd set themselves up to possibly get burned again.
    Then why did they ever publicize that VP owners would get a deal? Didn't they know that they got burned on Edge trade-ins before they put up the initial Treo pages?
    Jeff
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    [...] Obviously a couple of points above would not be issues for Pro or Prism owners, but with my VDX/VP combo, they all apply.
    eBay. You'll wind up losing about as much as I will when I eventually sell my Edge, but I doubt if Handspring would have knocked more than $100 off the price of the Treo for upgraders anyway (see previously mentioned Edge upgrade offer for reference).
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    Then why did they ever publicize that VP owners would get a deal?
    How should I know? It wouldn't be the first stupid thing they've ever done.
    Didn't they know that they got burned on Edge trade-ins before they put up the initial Treo pages?
    You would think so, but then you'd think that they'd have tried to fix the flaky QC problems on the Edge line also instead of denying they existed and slashing prices to get rid of inventory.
    You guys shoudl wait until the 14th before you start saying anything. I am pretty sure that there will be a "discount" of time. My bet is that old VP customers will get "with service" price.
    In addition to what PDAEnvy listed as Treo improvements over VisorPhone, one small thing is that the answer button will now work on the handsfree headset. So, with Treo, you can use that button to answer calls, hang up, and switch between calls. A small thing, yes, but something I miss from older phones I've had. (If I've missed something and someone makes a 2.5jack headset w/button that -does- work on VisorPhone, please let me know... thanks.) And, yes, I'll repeat myself, voice commands/dialling would be even better, but Treo will not have that initially.

Also, Handspring never produced a car charger for the VisorPhone like they plan to produce for Treo. Belkin does make a third-party Prism charger that works (at least with a Prism/VP combo), but I've always preferred OEM power/charger cables.
    Originally posted by bacchus920
    I was looking over the FAQ again today and rediscovered:
    Q. Is there a trade-in offer?
    A.Handspring plans to provide a trade-up incentive program for current VisorPhone customers wishing to upgrade to a Treo communicator. Details have not been finalized, but we will offer an upgrade path for the loyal customers who purchased the VisorPhone product.
    So maybe we are all worrying for nothing.
    Jeff
    Dang Jeff, your message beat my almost identical message by 2 minutes!
    Can someone please explain to me how getting the Treo at the "With Service Activation" will benefit current Visorphone owners? I'm really not understanding why people think this would actually be a "discount". If I'm currently a VP owner and I purchase a Treo...all I have to do is call Voicestream and extend my contract and tell them to switch my account to the Treo. So this is not really a discount from HS at all.

I think they need to offer the Treo to current VP owners for at least $100 off the w/Activation price ($299), with a VP/Deluxe trade-in. Geez...we were practically the beta testers fro the Treo by lugging these huge Visorphones around.
    Originally posted by RedSoxPDAer
    Can someone please explain to me how getting the Treo at the "With Service Activation" will benefit current Visorphone owners?
    I think somebody got the spirit of my question rather than the letter.
    I'm really not understanding why people think this would actually be a "discount".
    It won't be, but it's about the only 'discount' I could believe they'll offer. It's a token offer just like they offered Edge 'upgraders' $100 off and then wound up lowering the price to the 'discount' price anyway.
    If I'm currently a VP owner and I purchase a Treo...all I have to do is call Voicestream and extend my contract and tell them to switch my account to the Treo. So this is not really a discount from HS at all.
    Bingo. I don't think that Handspring can really afford to discount the Treo and possibly lose money on it right out of the gate.
    I think they need to offer the Treo to current VP owners for at least $100 off the w/Activation price ($299), with a VP/Deluxe trade-in. Geez...we were practically the beta testers fro the Treo by lugging these huge Visorphones around.
    No more than Deluxe owners were beta testers for the Neo, or Edge owners were the beta testers for a slim Visor.
    If I'm currently a VP owner and I purchase a Treo...all I have to do is call Voicestream and extend my contract and tell them to switch my account to the Treo. So this is not really a discount from HS at all.
    1. Do you know for sure you can do this?
    2. It saves VP owners from having to be locked into a contract any longer than they would be with their VP.
    Last edited by PDAENVY; 01/14/2002 at 03:42 PM.
    Jeff
    ...all I have to do is call Voicestream and extend my contract and tell them to switch my account to the Treo.
    Actually it's much simpler than that... all you have to do is remove your GSM SIM from the VP and put it into the Treo. The number moves with the SIM. The account information stays the same, with the same charges.

You may want to add SMS messaging and data capabilities if you do not already have these on your current service. I use Cingular and these extras cost me about $10 a month extra.

I use an Ericsson T28 and VP and am constantly switching back and forth (depending on how much hardware I want to lug around...
    "When I am Empress...Heads will roll!"
    Queen of Parts
    Originally posted by fixitgal
    Actually it's much simpler than that... all you have to do is remove your GSM SIM from the VP and put it into the Treo. The number moves with the SIM. The account information stays the same, with the same charges. [...]
    He didn't mean from a technical standpoint. He meant from an accounting standpoint.
    So did I

Originally posted by fixitgal
    ... The account information stays the same, with the same charges.
    To the service provider, it doesn't matter what device you're using the GSM SIM in.

Minutes are minutes...
    Last edited by fixitgal; 01/14/2002 at 11:58 AM.
    Queen of Parts
    But... as an existing VoiceStream user (Family plan- 2 lines), can I activate new service with New Treo, then get Voicestream to modify to convert it to a family plan (only 10/mo for lines 3-5)?

I assume that I cannot buy a Treo for $399 and use my existing VoiceStream service-- the closest, cheapest alternative is getting the service converted to a third line on the family plan.

Does that make sense? Anyone have any other thoughts for how to get Treo for cheapest price if already a Voicestream/VisorPhone user?
    Maybe this will explain better... From the FAQ on Handspring's site:

Q.Can I transfer my current mobile phone service to my Treo communicator? Can I keep the same phone number I have with VoiceStream or Cingular now?

A. If your current GSM service provider is VoiceStream Wireless or Cingular Wireless (in California, Nevada, Washington, North Carolina, South Carolina, Eastern Tennessee and Southeastern Georgia only), you can purchase a Treo communicator without a service plan and activate your Treo communicator by removing the SIM card from your current phone and putting it inside your Treo communicator. You can learn more about purchasing a Treo communicator without a service plan here on Handspring.com once Treo communicators are available for shipment. If you own a phone that runs on a different network with other carriers like AT&T, Verizon or Sprint PCS, you will have to purchase your Treo communicator with a service plan from a GSM carrier.
    Queen of Parts
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast