1.    #1  
    According to this article posted yesterday, Palm cutting staff, overstocking the Pre? | Electronista , Palm is looking to cut some staff. However, it seems like some of their facts are, well, just plain wrong. All I have heard from Palm is that they are on track with their plans and continue to hire MORE people. Anyone know the specifics of whats going on here?

Palm cutting staff, overstocking the Pre?
    updated 11:55 am EDT, Wed September 30, 2009
    Palm may be cutting jobs

Palm is engaging in a fresh round of job cuts due to disappointing sales of the Pre, according to a pair of assertions made today. One tip has the smartphone creator laying off some staff within the US. Numbers and the particular divisions affected aren't mentioned by CoolSmartphone; the move is only known to be prompted by "restructuring."

One analysis issued today suggests that the cuts may be necessary given not just Palm's wider losses but also a possible masking of actual Pre sales numbers. As the company's recent 10K filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission only counts deliveries to Sprint as sales rather than sales through partners like Best Buy and Radio Shack, it's suspected by TheStreet that a reported 13,000-phone increase in inventory doesn't reflect a much larger glut of phones left unsold the channel. Palm is estimated to have actually sold about 375,000 Pres but to have as many as 275,000 phones still in stores, or enough to last it for another 11 weeks. Apple by comparison often has only about four weeks.

The poor sales are attributed to two of the most commonly cited problems with the Pre's availability on launch. Its $200 contract price was considered high in June and was cut to $150 just over three months later, not including third-party discounts that have brought the phone to as low as $80 at Walmart. Also, Palm's now almost exclusive dependence on Sprint in the US may be a liability as it not only limits the reach of its phones but could lose a bargaining chip when trying to negotiate a fair price from Verizon or other carriers.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Kinda funny that Palm has 95 jobs listed in the career section of their web site.

Sounds like an ANAList like Cramer who did a "short and slam". Short the stock of a company then come out with some bad rumor. The apologize all the way to the bank.

I'll believe it when I see a Palm press release.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    You know, I and others said the Pre only being a Sprint phone and not widely available internationally makes it less appealing than Android.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by scobb View Post
    Kinda funny that Palm has 95 jobs listed in the career section of their web site.

Sounds like an ANAList like Cramer who did a "short and slam". Short the stock of a company then come out with some bad rumor. The apologize all the way to the bank.

I'll believe it when I see a Palm press release.

I agree. Career Opportunities | Palm USA

96 positions, with a vast majority for engineers, and a lot of those in the last two months. Yup, sure sounds like they're taking the axe to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Also, multiple sources have corrected their stories to reflect that Palm isn't cutting staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    You know, I and others said the Pre only being a Sprint phone and not widely available internationally makes it less appealing than Android.
    And this opinion of your's is related to the thread topic how?