Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    what's/who's kafka?
    Try this:

    Kafka
  2. #42  
    People complain about Jamie having a sense of entitlement. But they also resent that he has a particular view of tipping (a conentious issue in its own right). It's a free app so either take it or leave it.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    People complain about Jamie having a sense of entitlement. But they also resent that he has a particular view of tipping (a conentious issue in its own right). It's a free app so either take it or leave it.
    It isn't about the free app that most people left. It is just another example of how he believes that there is no proper answer than his. It just highlights his ego problem.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

    It told me.
  4. #44  
    Oh wow you mean presenting a decent user experience requires limiting developer actions?

    Scrooge McAsperger's indeed, what a big blubbering baby.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    It isn't about the free app that most people left. It is just another example of how he believes that there is no proper answer than his. It just highlights his ego problem.
    But Palm can ignore him, and everyone here can ignore him as well. If he's just a baby, why is everyone up in arms?

    I'm a little biased though, as a long time XEmacs user
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Oh wow you mean presenting a decent user experience requires limiting developer actions?
    Really, we need to restrict developers for a decent user experience. Steve Jobs would be proud.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  7. #47  
    <moved>
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #48  
    Man, this guy is such a cry baby. Get over yourself and play by Palm's rules or find somewhere else to develop. $5 is too much for you to pay to have your apps on the catalog? Then I guess you don't think people really want to use your stuff. Apple sure as hell charges you more than that to have a free program listed.

    Besides, how does Palm not know you're not going to sneak in advertising or something in their or later on decide to charge a price? I'm sure they don't want to keep track of that crap.

    Palm to JWZ:Twitter / bgalbs: @jwz hey, I just started a ...
    JWZ to Palm:Twitter / Jamie Zawinski: @bgalbs no, I have no inte ...
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    But Palm can ignore him, and everyone here can ignore him as well. If he's just a baby, why is everyone up in arms?
    Palm can't ignore him, otherwise folks will take what he says as fact.
  10. #50  
    It's a Tip Calculator.....need I say more?
  11. signde's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #51  
    not to bump an old thread but this just really rubbed me the wrong way

    jwz - Dear Palm, it's just not working out.
    jwz.livejournal.com/1108212.html

    (can't link because i don't have enough posts)

    he goes off on a rant and it looks like he dropped the pre for an iphone. he is complaining about how performance on the pre is terrible and how the iphone just works. i don't know what he is smoking but i said the same thing about the pre ("it just works").

    good riddance, cry baby.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by signde View Post
    not to bump an old thread but this just really rubbed me the wrong way

    jwz - Dear Palm, it's just not working out.
    jwz.livejournal.com/1108212.html

    (can't link because i don't have enough posts)

    he goes off on a rant and it looks like he dropped the pre for an iphone. he is complaining about how performance on the pre is terrible and how the iphone just works. i don't know what he is smoking but i said the same thing about the pre ("it just works").

    good riddance, cry baby.
    this makes me giggle.

    for a man passing off his frustration under a veil of open source heroism, he sure seems to vote closed with his dollar.

    hilarious.

    here is the direct link

    http://jwz.livejournal.com/1108212.html
  13. #53  
    You know he makes some very good points.

    Here's one of the replies, something to make you think:

    One of the "Zen of Palm" competitive demos we used to do showing off against a Pocket PC was how you could reach into your pocket for your PDA and have your calendar up and displaying today's events before it was even in front of your eyes.

    The Pocket PC on the other hand took 5-10 seconds to launch.

    Palm used to ridicule that sort of performance. It is sad that is what they now deliver.

    *sigh*
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    You know he makes some very good points.

    Here's one of the replies, something to make you think:
    that's not insight its stating the obvious. And its not like there are threads any where else talking about this.
  15. #55  
    Palm has a totally new platform. I agree with the paradox you raise but this is sort of like Palm's re-entry into the atmosphere and it's not going to be smooth sailing. I think they are on a good trajectory though.

    Regarding this dude, most everyday users will ignore him and people in the know realize that he's blowing smoke. Palm developed a program that specifically addressed his initial concerns very well. I don't think there is anything else they can do. The end result is good (for everybody except this guy).

    Hoping this thread goes back into the dust where it belongs!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    that's not insight its stating the obvious. And its not like there are threads any where else talking about this.
    If it's stating the obvious, doesn't that mean jwz is right after all? I don't understand the scorn from the peanut gallery.

    Everything he said is spot on. Even if you disagree with his response to Palm's development program offers.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  17. s219's Avatar
    Posts
    498 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    #57  
    I can't say I like jwz, but many of his points are spot-on.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    If it's stating the obvious, doesn't that mean jwz is right after all? I don't understand the scorn from the peanut gallery.

    Everything he said is spot on. Even if you disagree with his response to Palm's development program offers.
    His first post, the one where he *****ed about the submission process for apps, was just him being whiny... and even after Palm decided to entirely change their process for open-source apps, pretty much in response to him, it wasn't good enough for the guy.

    This most recent one where he decides to switch to an iPhone, he does in fact make good points. The syncing with Mac issue isn't Palm's fault, that's all on the Missing Sync guys. But the part about the Calendar being ridiculously slow is accurate, as is the phone UI being very slow to come up after answering a call.

    His last point about the camera app sounds part wrong to me. Going from taking a picture, to the phone knowing I've taken a picture doesn't take 20 seconds for me. But yes, opening up the photos app to review it is slow.

    Unlike him though, I don't think it needs to be "10x faster across the board" to be usable. There's definitely some apps that need to be sped up, but overall, the performance of opening apps doesn't affect me. I guess that's why I'm keeping mine and he's getting rid of his.
  19. signde's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #59  
    1) i'm okay with using google as my calendar source
    2) i haven't noticed any slowness with the phone ui when answering calls... maybe i am just lucky?
    3) i think the pre is amazingly fast, personally

    if he thinks the pre needs to be 10x faster across the board i guess he's never used windows mobile before
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions