Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Lots of discounting and price cuts lately. This often starts to happen to clear out inventory before a new model comes out. Could be we're going to see a new Pre in 30 to 60 days, perhaps with more memory, adjustments to hardware, new features, etc. It's about that time. Thoughts?

My hopes:
    -16 gig (or 32)
    -Improved keyboard
    its always possible lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Doubtful. Maybe after the Pixi launch this holiday season. I think Palm already has more than enough on their plate, especially considering the small size of the company.
    yes, it's called june 6 2010
    i dont usually say this but dream on fella.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Doubtful. Maybe after the Pixi launch this holiday season. I think Palm already has more than enough on their plate, especially considering the small size of the company.
    You might be right, but each day the odds are increasing. They had to rush to market, and now that they've probably found most of the kinks in the hardware and figured out things they'd like to change, it is time for a new model that gets rid of those kinks, plus starts to segment its price offerings (more $ for more storage, etc.).
    The sudden reduction in price is a result of the poor showing in first quarter Pre sales. They have to get those number up in the market place if they're going to have any sort of impact.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The sudden reduction in price is a result of the poor showing in first quarter Pre sales. They have to get those number up in the market place if they're going to have any sort of impact.
    Could be right. Hope that's not the reason, but...
    I wouldn't think there'd be a Pre2 so soon, especially with the upcoming Pixi release.

My guess is that given Palm's financial situation this is a move to increase the number of Pres out there and appease stockholder nervousness ("we might not be making a ton of money but we've increased our marketshare x percent").

Not that I'm a financial dude, just was my first thought when I read this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Pure unabashed speculation!

Hope your right!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    like vickmackey said, look for june 2010
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Say an upgrade does come out, will sprint do something for us? I would love pre with more space.

Also, will it be like the iPhone where our applications we download are saved?
    First off, aren't these price reductions on the 3rd party end? Wasn't their a projection on how much the pre actually cost to make leaving the profit margin very wide? So to draw more customers to buy from them, a 3rd party retailer like Walmart would want a lower price than everyone else.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 3rd phone came out in the first part of 2010. At this point, since they have a solid team working on webOS, they just need a team to do the hardware part. If they can get a solid virtual keyboard, i'm sure it would be easier to come up with a Keyboard free design like the Pre.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    It could possibly happen. Not of their wanting to but maybe no choice in having to.

They put themselves in a situation... or maybe Sprint put them in this situation.

I have no doubt that Palm and Sprint were expecting to command iPhone prices and be able to stay with them on it and hoping the phone would be so popular that ther are hard to keep in stock the whole year. I don't think they would have wanted to even think about price change until next year where they would probably have had a new model at least 16GB and can reduce the 8GB model like iPhone.

In the three months your $299 phone sold at $199 (with generous mail-in rebate) is now a $99 phone. I can't see this as being planned. Everybody speculating how high the Pre numbers must have been last quarter and how very good they were... but I think dropping a phone to $99 gives you a better idea of where the real number were in that range people were speculating.

And you just announce a new phone (PIXI) and tell everyone you are selling it at $199 and you KNOW that in specs it a weaker phone.

One, how do you justify the $199 PIXI coming out unless it is fully subsidized and they are giving them away with new contract? Two, How do you justify bringing your flagship phone back past $199 and make some money? If they sell both phones like that, they will get killed and every carrier they make a deal with will have them under a barrel because they will not sell the phones higher than Sprints.

I wonder myself... but think Sprint screwed them and forced the drop because they havent been the blockbuster that they hoped it would be (and let's be honest, they were looking for an iPhone killer). Sprint is treating their flagship phone no better than any of their past Palm models and IMO they need to get out from under Sprint or they will get buried.

They need to get the App store rocking ASAP. Really wonder what the friggen delay is because the longer it goes, other phones gain more attention while this one dies because you can only flip cards with no good apps for so long. Once the app store is rocking, they can add value to the phone and release the new phones at higher prices and be able to justify them.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    You might be right, but each day the odds are increasing. They had to rush to market, and now that they've probably found most of the kinks in the hardware and figured out things they'd like to change, it is time for a new model that gets rid of those kinks, plus starts to segment its price offerings (more $ for more storage, etc.).
    Last edited by donm527; 09/27/2009 at 06:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 93akkord View Post
    Say an upgrade does come out, will sprint do something for us? I would love pre with more space.

I doubt they would do anything for early adopters... you bought at subsidized price so you already got a deal (through a mail-in rebate ). If anything they may knock off $200 (mail-in rebate ) off full price?

That's why part of me doesnt think they will bring out a new phone. People may be able to stomach now that their $299 phone is $99. But to come out with a new phone and make yours 'old' in 3 months with no upgrade path?

PRPRPR $nightmare$ $that$ $would$ $be$.

They really have to get momentum and the app store rocking and other stuff to justify the price of 2nd gen pre.
    Last edited by donm527; 09/27/2009 at 06:56 AM.
    If Palm releases a new higher capacity (16/32 GB) Pre so soon, I would be pretty annoyed...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Probably just an increased storage model. Maybe announced @ CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I think the price reductions mean:

(1) 16GB Pre model coming sometime this year (which means the Pixi will sell at $79 or less...maybe even $49), and/or

(2) a push to get sales past the 1MM mark so that Palm can use that headline number in advertising (eg, for the Pixi), carrier negotiations (with VZ for example), and so on.
    Last edited by Really mobile; 09/26/2009 at 06:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 93akkord View Post

Short answer: No
    Long answer: No way!

One of the benefits of being an "early adapter".
    Last edited by wodin; 09/26/2009 at 05:44 PM. Reason: afterthought
    All of us who..shelled out the 500 bucks got screwed over..we demand some money back..cause we got defective units at a huge price and now the better ones or a new model of pre is coming and we all bent over and grabbed our ankles if you know what i mean...we got SCREWED!!!!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast