Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    That would bother me, the bigger, micro SD slot Pre.
    Err did a new iPhone come out after Apple dropped the price $200 shortly after release or were they just trying to sell more devices?
    yes, next june, around the 6thish
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    That would bother me, the bigger, micro SD slot Pre.
    ditto
    I highly doubt you'll see a MicroSD slot. More capacity built in? Sure. But the MicroSD slot is probably a no go, my guess.

Technology however has to move forward and more capacity is probably a no brainer. However, if I have to sacrifice having to deal with damn V-Cast for an additional 8 GB?

Forget it. :P
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    This isn't how it happens in product development. Ever. When developers identify bugs in a product, they issue a line change to the factory and that issue gets addressed. We've already seen this policy in action with Palm and the Pre. Companies do not keep producing problem units, make no attempt to fix them, and then try to introduce the product's successor less than a year after the original was released. That would be stupid and costly.

I have no doubt that a new phone from Palm will happen, but it will be well after the Pixi and nowhere near the timeframe you suggest.
    Are you still so sure about that? See the article linked below (I realize this is a rumor, but still believe an update will happen fairly soon):

http://www.precentral.net/rumor-verizon-get-updated-pre
    Last edited by hbg; 09/29/2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Add
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Didnt they mention when it was concept that adding SD slot would change the thickness of the device? IE add SD slot, more thicker device?
    Who cares if VZW get's an updated Pre. Sprint will soon get theirs or something similar. Besides, I bet the phone will cost more than ours at launch (or about the same) and being coupled with their expensive data services, it's a loose/loose situation for their customers. You can't pay me to goto VZW. I would rather run backwards with a rake up my **** before selecting a VZW plan.......look at what they did for the TP/diamond users...gimped the phone up so bad by slashing the ram almost in half, slashed windows own apps and put on their own app crap, and some other stuff then charged $50 MORE for it out the door with a plan!! That my friends is crappy business practices.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    @LupeValenz: They dropped the price only a few months after release of the original Iphone. The 3g didn't come out for many months after that so no.

I want a new Pre in June of new year, and without it being on a single carrier. But I will hate Plam if verison gets one and Sprint has to wait
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Didnt they mention when it was concept that adding SD slot would change the thickness of the device? IE add SD slot, more thicker device?
    Yea. That's what Jon said. In order to keep it as thin as it is, they couldn't add that. But if VZW is getting a bigger screen, then I guess there might be room.

I don't see how you could have room for a sim card and not an SD card.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Makes complete sense. Don't see how the Pre can remain competitive for long at 8 gigabytes. I bet we'll see a 16 model even before Verizon gets it, albeit at a higher price.
    Palm will do what Apple Does. Ever year a new phone. The Pre is a fantastic phone is it will be hard to improve what we have already.
    I highly doubt Sprint will make their customers wait that long to get the "new" Pre. It would be against their interest since they are so sensitive to losing customers at this point.

Also, if you think about smartphones these days, the turnover to get the "new and improved" is so much faster. The Blackberry Tour that release for Sprint and Verizon initially did not have wifi and now they are set to release that same unit with wifi before Christmas (if not sooner). Look at T-Mobile and G1. The G2 (aka "mytouch") landed 8 months later.

Anyone that is still stuck on the "new product once a year" bit is fooling themselves. A company is not going to sit and wait while other companies are on their next redesign schedule 6 months after company A's released their new product.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    yes, next june, around the 6thish

I agree with VickMackey ....
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    For what it's worth I would much rather have a Pre that supported MicroSD cards. Being able to swap them out on my old Centro was great.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Are you still so sure about that?
    Yes, I am. I don't see Palm putting any more development resources into this phone until they sell over a million and have better global distribution.

Besides, if the Verizon version did have 16gb, they would just end up crippling 8gb of it. Actually, I'll personally be surprised if the Pre makes it to Verizon. Verizon is so draconian about their phones that the user experience will be very different (no free GPS, Verizon only app store, no Amazon, blah blah). If they leave it alone, that would be great, but Verizon is really good about taking a good phone and screwing it up (HTC Touch, I'm looking at you).
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unicycle View Post
    Makes complete sense. Don't see how the Pre can remain competitive for long at 8 gigabytes. I bet we'll see a 16 model even before Verizon gets it, albeit at a higher price.
    While I'm saying your wrong, the top of the line BlackBerry have 256MEG storage, and last time I checked, they were still "competitive"
    Fyi Brighthand is now reporting a rumor that the Verizon version of the Pre will be different and slightly enhanced:

Verizon May Get an Enhanced Version of the Palm Pre - Brighthand.com Smartphone and PDA Discussion Forums

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    would u really pic up a new pre if it came out tomorrow? i know i would wait anyway unless i could exchange this one... i dont have money like that ... i can update every year so in the very least i would get it next summer... and if you would like this phone to be better than it it why would u buy the first gen pre... we all knew when it came out it didnt have a micro sd. the screen was smaller then the Iphone and it was only 8gigs... i love this phone with all its defects... i never had a palm phone before but i think i will be getting palm phones from now on...if verizon gets a knew phone we might have to wait till june anyway for ours... sprint has this phone till next year so why wouldnt they have the same kind of deal for verizon. i know i would want that... imo i feel that unless your going to have your on name on a phone like the sprintpre no phone shound be locked up on one carrier....
    <merged and moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast