Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not me. My wife would love her "new" Pre (1), and I'd be all over the Pre2
    My plan exactly
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    In this case, sadly, no.

The price cuts (now down to $0 after MIRs) are simply a reflection of demand.

Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Lots of discounting and price cuts lately. This often starts to happen to clear out inventory before a new model comes out. Could be we're going to see a new Pre in 30 to 60 days, perhaps with more memory, adjustments to hardware, new features, etc. It's about that time. Thoughts?

My hopes:
    -16 gig (or 32)
    -Improved keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_bob View Post
    All of us who..shelled out the 500 bucks got screwed over..we demand some money back..cause we got defective units at a huge price and now the better ones or a new model of pre is coming and we all bent over and grabbed our ankles if you know what i mean...we got SCREWED!!!!
    Please, lets keep the smug attitude from the iPhone community away from the Pre. I remember that top tech stories were iPhone users were outraged about the $100 price drop like a month after the phones came out so Apple gave them all some sort of rebate. If I got my Pre 2 weeks later I could have got an additional $50 off. I did try to see if I could sweet talk them into it, but I couldn't, and I can live with it. I love this phone and am extremely happy with Sprint's service over Verizon.
    Sprint still sells the phone for $149 right? That is the only price upgrade customers can get. The $99, $79 and free price points are third parties subsidizing it even more so they can get the cut of your contract fees. They do get a commission for selling you a contract. Also if you notice alot of these resellers have an extra ETF on top of Sprint's ETF. So as far as I'm concerned the price is still $149.99 or only a $50 drop from original price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Since the Pre missed Sprint's first quarter 1-1.5 million unit sales planning figures considerably (Link), may have matched the lowered 400-500 unit sales estimates (still a mystery though Link), yet still maintains its actual sales figures as something akin to a state secret, this sudden plummet in pricing (after an unprofitable quarter) is likely explained as a way to boost market share by stimulating the Pre's lagging sales figures.

BTW - what did you mean by: "the Pre hit it's first quarerer sales expectations, since it wasn't available for sale until the second quarter." Palm's September report was for the period 1 June - 31 August which coincides with Palm's first fiscal quarter for their 2010 business year, which also happens to be the first business quarter in which the Pre was sold. What were you trying to say here?
    I'll answer the last part first.
    I was being facetious. It was never clearly defined who "they" was (were?), but since the OP mentioned possible new models, and Sprint doesn't manufacture the Pre, I was assuming "they" was Palm. I wastalking about Palm's first quarter, not Sprint's.
    Your links are to analysts web sites, I've never seen anything "official" that said Palm expected to sell 1 to 1.5 million in the first quarter of sales; even the first full quarter. We're not even sure, at this point, whether it's Palm or Sprint that's doing the price-cutting.
    At any rate, there are as many analysts that are impressed with the (estimated) sales of the Pre as there are unimpressed. I've seen few that called the sales "poor".

Of course, web sites are full of folks that wish to protray the sales that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course, web sites are full of folks that wish to protray the sales that way...
    So true. I'm really just interested in the truth on this. I wonder why Palm is being so coy with the actual sales figures?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I wonder why Palm is being so coy with the actual sales figures?
    That's the question, jimmy....
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    It's an 8 gig smartphone and is competing primarily with the 3G iPhone and perhaps the (insert whatever BB you like). A $99 subsidized Pre seems like the right place to be, actually. But really it's just the discount houses that have them at that price..>Sprint is still at $149.

Pixi will hit well before any updated\refreshed Pre. I'm wondering if a larger cpacity pre might be a good idea when the Pre is offered outside of Sprint. might be a nice selling point to have a 16GB or 32 GB Pre on Verizon, and then being available on Sprint.

I don't hold much hope that Sprint would just let current users have any substantial discount on a upgrade though. Most everyone already took their discount getting the Pre already. Those folks (like me) would most likely need to wait til their contracts are up again.
    So true. I'm really just interested in the truth on this. I wonder why Palm is being so coy with the actual sales figures?
    I think they will release something once sales exceed 1MM. In fact, if it does so before 1.2.1 is released that's even better: a press release about crossing the 1MM sales threshold and information about the new software upgrade....
    It's been speculated that it may be part of an NDA with Sprint, and that makes sense to me. Obviously, any announcement of specifics on the Pre from Palm would also be revealing information for Sprint. Sprint may not want their competitors to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    I don't hold much hope that Sprint would just let current users have any substantial discount on a upgrade though. Most everyone already took their discount getting the Pre already. Those folks (like me) would most likely need to wait til their contracts are up again.
    Most of the "early adopters" of the Pre will be eligible for another upgrade in June of next year. I really don't think we'll see a new "better Pre" much before then.
    Is a Palm Pre MOR(E) 16GB UPCOMING VERY SOON?

FACTS:
    .In this world of finance you have seen Palm getting a lot of CASH selling stocks recently.

. Also you have seen Pre on sale on different retailers stores: WalMart $79.99 , Amazon $99.99.

.Now you can get in UK via O2 a Pre FREE with a 2 year contract with a monthly fee.

.My questions are:
    These retailers just have a lot of CASH and finance support in the first case?

.O2 just wants to speed sales, but it needs a lot of finance support too, donīt you think?

.Just want to increase Pre demand?

. Rushing sales because:
    it is a sign that a Palm Pre MOR (E) 16GB is upcoming very soon. ?

P.S : PALM PRE MOR(E) is not Palms Pre new brand, I am just supposing and inventing it.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    If by very soon, you mean about a year from now, then yes!
    I really wanted to start the discussion you just posted up but I decided not to because apparently you'll get flamed. But IMO, yes, I do think they are going to release a Pre with more memory. It's inevitable. For people to say that Palm will stick with an 8gb Pre until June/July is fooling themselves. That's not how the mobile phone device business model works - especially for smartphones.
    Yes we are on a very very competitive smartphone world now, changes has to happen very quickly IMO
    I love how others have responded to similar thread about how they KNOW that Palm will not be releasing other iterations of the Pre but look at the articles today about how Verizon may be getting an "updated" version of the Pre with a slightly larger screen, more memory and potentially even a memory card slot. AND this is all after when the Palm Pre exclusivity contract expires for the Sprint.
    Oh boy, and people were screaming that they paid $200 for their Pre and now people can get it for $79.

I love my Pre with 8GB, I love my Pre for the money I paid, I love my Pre with 1.2, I love my Pre...

I have this little bugger for at least a year until I am eligible for an upgrade again, my only hope is that when that year is up there is a new version (faster, better, etc.) available. If one comes out before then? I think that is great because it will get MORE people onto this platform!
    Oh boy, and people were screaming that they paid $200 for their Pre and now people can get it for $79.

I love my Pre with 8GB, I love my Pre for the money I paid, I love my Pre with 1.2, I love my Pre...

I have this little bugger for at least a year until I am eligible for an upgrade again, my only hope is that when that year is up there is a new version (faster, better, etc.) available. If one comes out before then? I think that is great because it will get MORE people onto this platform!
    My bet is that once the "new" Pre is out on Verizon, it won't be long till Sprint will get their own - unless Verizon has their own "exclusive" deal with Palm. Urgh. They need to get rid of these type of deals.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast