Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_bob View Post
    All of us who..shelled out the 500 bucks got screwed over..we demand some money back..cause we got defective units at a huge price and now the better ones or a new model of pre is coming and we all bent over and grabbed our ankles if you know what i mean...we got SCREWED!!!!
    That's the risk of being an early adopter of any tech product. It's happened to me numerous times with computers, cellphones and the first iPhone. I think the individual who said they need a higher end product to make room for lower pre entry pricing and very low pixie pricing is dead on.
    I highly doubt they will come with a new pre. First of all the pre isn't one of those phones that come out in various types For example( a v3,v3i,v3xx,etc) . Most of the advancements can be done in over the air updates. The palm pre is a solid phone and i don't think they'll throw new pre's every 6 months Besides the phone has only been out for about 3-4 months now. The price drops happen in any sort of technological objects and palm have their own game strategy.

On a brighter side I'm happy to see palm getting back on their feet and being somewhat the center of attention nowadays.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ...They had to rush to market, and now that they've probably found most of the kinks in the hardware and figured out things they'd like to change...
    This isn't how it happens in product development. Ever. When developers identify bugs in a product, they issue a line change to the factory and that issue gets addressed. We've already seen this policy in action with Palm and the Pre. Companies do not keep producing problem units, make no attempt to fix them, and then try to introduce the product's successor less than a year after the original was released. That would be stupid and costly.

I have no doubt that a new phone from Palm will happen, but it will be well after the Pixi and nowhere near the timeframe you suggest.
    I'm always flummoxed by the lack of critical thinking by people who start threads.

And I've always admired those who comment on them as if they are to be taken seriously.
    And what do you think about those that post nothing about the topic discussed and just wanna say how flummoxed they are?

Quote Originally Posted by egretman View Post
    I'm always flummoxed by the lack of critical thinking by people who start threads.

And I've always admired those who comment on them as if they are to be taken seriously.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    This isn't how it happens in product development. Ever. When developers identify bugs in a product, they issue a line change to the factory and that issue gets addressed. We've already seen this policy in action with Palm and the Pre. Companies do not keep producing problem units, make no attempt to fix them, and then try to introduce the product's successor less than a year after the original was released. That would be stupid and costly.

I have no doubt that a new phone from Palm will happen, but it will be well after the Pixi and nowhere near the timeframe you suggest.
    You're living in theory land. Palm had to rush quick to meet the new iPhone announcement. They brought in Rubenstein who basically had to start it largely over again and rush development or miss Palm's chance- even he said this in several interviews. The hardware did not have time to be thorughly vetted. Witness all the problems. Now they've seen things they can improve (not just bandaid fix as they've done thus far on oreo and other issues) and will come out with an even better product. They've got to add more to reposition it as a higher priced product again to make room for the lower priced pixie.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    And what do you think about those that post nothing about the topic discussed and just wanna say how flummoxed they are?
    lmao
    Don't panic, there will be plenty of time for that later.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    It isn't the price of the phone that is going to make or break the carrier or the phone manufacturer. The manufacturer receives carrier subsidies through those 2-year contracts.

It's all about MRCs and ARPU. If you heavily discount the Pre, it creates a huge incentive for customers to purchase the phone and even switch networks if necessary. But where the money comes in is that monthly subscriber plan. And those apps. Take the iPhone for example. Apple doesn't even make the apps but they get a sweet 30% profit off each app purchase. How do you get more people writing apps for your device? You get the device in the hands of more people? How do you get the hands of the device in more people? You sell it at a lower price.
    I'm of the opinion that we'll see a Pre "refresh" (read: version 1.1, only minor build cost reduction changes) sooner rather than later. My crystal ball says somewhere in the neighborhood of the Pixi launch.

If this happens, the refreshed Pre will have 16GB to differentiate it from the 8GB Pre. If this happens.
    I think the main reason for the price cuts is due to sales being lower than expected at this point.

A new Pre? Yes it will be coming but we don't know exactly when.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    You're living in theory land. Palm had to rush quick to meet the new iPhone announcement. They brought in Rubenstein who basically had to start it largely over again and rush development or miss Palm's chance- even he said this in several interviews. The hardware did not have time to be thorughly vetted. Witness all the problems. Now they've seen things they can improve (not just bandaid fix as they've done thus far on oreo and other issues) and will come out with an even better product. They've got to add more to reposition it as a higher priced product again to make room for the lower priced pixie.
    What are you talking about? Palm had developed the Pre over years.... it was far from rushed. Every phone company will have problems with their phones, both hardware and software. The Pre has an entirely new OS, and has very few software issues. There are hardware issues with some Pres, and no hardware issues for others. They have no reason to release another Pre in the next 2 months. The cause for the price reduction is exactly what others have already said, to sell more phones. Not all phones follow the way of the iPhone or Storm....

What nem0nic said IS what happens in the industry.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    What are you talking about? Palm had developed the Pre over years.... it was far from rushed. Every phone company will have problems with their phones, both hardware and software. The Pre has an entirely new OS, and has very few software issues. There are hardware issues with some Pres, and no hardware issues for others. They have no reason to release another Pre in the next 2 months. The cause for the price reduction is exactly what others have already said, to sell more phones. Not all phones follow the way of the iPhone or Storm....
    What nem0nic said IS what happens in the industry.
    "over years..."

True, but when he got there Rubenstein said the hardware that was the prototype was totally wrong, so they totally scrapped and started over on it, rushing with a totally new idea in the last periods. He's been interviewed on multiple occasions where he has stated exactly this.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    "over years..."

True, but when he got there Rubenstein said the hardware that was the prototype was totally wrong, so they totally scrapped and started over on it, rushing with a totally new idea in the last periods. He's been interviewed on multiple occasions where he has stated exactly this.
    What he said was that he was unimpressed with the hardware, specifically the use of resistive touch screen, and started over with capacative. This doesn't mean they didn't keep any aspects of the first prototype, they very well could have. And the fact that it was put together to have a working prototype by CES doesn't mean its cheap hardware. Some have problems, some don't, which is the case with ALL phones.
    Last edited by pathymo; 09/26/2009 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The sudden reduction in price is a result of the poor showing in first quarter Pre sales. They have to get those number up in the market place if they're going to have any sort of impact.
    "Poor showing"?? Is this inside information, wishful speculartion, or did you fire up your crystal ball? Regardless, do an source check - the Pre hit it's first quarerer sales expectations, since it wasn't available for sale until the second quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I doubt they would do anything for early adopters... you bought at subsidized price so you already got a deal (through a mail-in rebate ). If anything they may knock off $200 (mail-in rebate ) off full price?

That's why part of me doesnt think they will bring out a new phone. People may be able to stomach now that their $399 phone is $99. But to come out with a new phone and make yours 'old' in 3 months with no upgrade path?

PRPRPR $nightmare$ $that$ $would$ $be$.

They really have to get momentum and the app store rocking and other stuff to justify the price of 2nd gen pre.
    That's the second time you mentioned $399. When did the phone ever sell for $399 (subsidized)? I bought mine release day. It was $299, then I got the rebate to make it $199.

Please, don't pad numbers to make your theories more plausible. It has the opposite effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    If Palm releases a new higher capacity (16/32 GB) Pre so soon, I would be pretty annoyed...
    Not me. My wife would love her "new" Pre (1), and I'd be all over the Pre2
    I doubt palm is in any position to invest in the r&d and production of a new version of the pre with a price point of $199-$299 after rebate, especially considering version one hasn't been widely accepted yet.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I'd be looking for a new Pre around June of 2011, right around when the 2-year contracts on the first Pres run out...
    Quote Originally Posted by silent_bob View Post
    All of us who..shelled out the 500 bucks got screwed over..we demand some money back..cause we got defective units at a huge price and now the better ones or a new model of pre is coming and we all bent over and grabbed our ankles if you know what i mean...we got SCREWED!!!!
    welcome to the world of technology. get used to it, it's just how it is
    This signature for rent
    Your right... Was $299 minus $100 mail-in rebate = $199. I'll make the edit.

Wasnt trying to pad... I did mention that I believe Palms attention was to command iPhone prices and dunno why I thought the iPhone and Pre were both $399 (Had to check my own receipt). And I just bought the 32GB phone not long ago. Maybe it just felt I overpaid $399. lol.

And yes. Just theory to someone posting a theory of his own.

One thing to consider is when Apple accounce the $99 3G, that had to catch a lot of people off guard including Palm and had to effect sales.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's the second time you mentioned $399. When did the phone ever sell for $399 (subsidized)? I bought mine release day. It was $299, then I got the rebate to make it $199.

Please, don't pad numbers to make your theories more plausible. It has the opposite effect.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast