Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Tech Rumor of the Day: Nokia Needs Palm | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

One of the statements in this story also surprised me
    Palm gives instant access to the U.S. market where Nokia has almost no sway

I was not aware that Nokia had little impact in the US and just assumed that Nokia was dominant everywhere. If this is indeed the case this one point makes for a large driver to the story and to Nokia

Video link from the story quoting why the new N97 from Nokia is having a difficult time (Price!)
    Videos On Stock Market & Wall Street News, Trading & Investing News & Market Analysis Videos | TheStreet.com

The last paragraph in the story makes a very good point
    Last edited by as147; 07/24/2009 at 07:10 PM.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Nokia is not in the business of continuing products or businesses they buy.

In the past, Nokia purchased Intellisync and Avvenu which Nokia completely discontinued and dumped any Palm support.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Nokia is not in the business of continuing products or businesses they buy.

In the past, Nokia purchased Intellisync and Avvenu which Nokia completely discontinued and dumped any Palm support.
    I don't know much about Nokia and was just sending out the news story. However in terms of intellisync they adopted a better model IMHO by using Activesync. This has become the defacto standard and it made no use Nokia keeping their own sync software when they could use what everyone else is using.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    No problem. You bring in the news and I thank you for that. I can only try to picture what will happen if Nokia does make that step.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I rather Nokia not buy Palm
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    As the writer stated "it is highly unlikely that Nokia will act"

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Palm Gains on Talk That Nokia May Bid for Phone Maker (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

Sept. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Palm Inc., maker of the Pre mobile phone, gained 7 percent in Nasdaq trading, a jump that some analysts attributed to speculation Nokia Oyj may bid for Palm.

Palm, based in Sunnyvale, California, rose $1.12 to $17.07 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. Palm has climbed more than fivefold this year.

Nokia, the world’s biggest mobile-phone maker, has fallen behind rivals in software for smart phones and buying Palm would help close the gap, said James Faucette, an analyst at Pacific Crest Securities Inc. in Portland, Oregon. Espoo, Finland-based Nokia is spending $3 billion a year on software research and development, more than 10 times Palm’s R&D budget, he said.

“Palm is worth $17 a share on its own, and $25 to $30 to Nokia, based on what they are spending to replicate Palm,” said Faucette. He rates Palm stock “outperform” and doesn’t own shares. Such an acquisition “would make a lot of sense,” he said.

Derick Mains, a spokesman for Palm, said the company doesn’t comment on rumors or activity about its stock. Arja Suominen, a spokeswoman for Nokia, declined to comment in an e- mail.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    wow if that goes thru, palm stockholders may have a very good day.
    Do you like Nokia phone...they are expensive and their "smart" phone are not too nice...

I don't know if it is a good idea for Palm to join Nokia.
    NOKIA SUCKS.if nokia buys palm,I will BONJOVI this product!
    HAVE A NICE DAY!
    I wouldn't be too concerned. Ruby wants to be captain of the uss palm.
    smartphone not too nice? they still sold 2 million N97 phones in the first 3 months out. yes worldwide sales but at extremely high prices and people pay for it. you imagine their ability to get WebOS out to the world like that?

i actually dont think the synergy would be good either... but i can see nokia seeing their market share at risk and they can afford to buy palm and take a chance to go against Apple and RIM.

I had thought earlier in the year Palm will get bought and still think they will. If they don't get into gear with the App store and any more missteps and it will happen. Dell has cash.

Kinda thinking lately... HP would be a good buyer... and they had a hit with their ipaqs early on (that would be funny to bring the name back... iPaq versus iPhone!!) and like what they did with their recent communicator line. Going WebOS would be good. HP is a monster company.

iPAQ vs iPhone!!! join me everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    Do you like Nokia phone...they are expensive and their "smart" phone are not too nice...

I don't know if it is a good idea for Palm to join Nokia.
    Humm .. could be interesting .
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    Humm .. could be interesting .
    Nokia or HP?

I'm diggin the HP idea... HP has the muscle!

They could probably get Palm for $20-25/share.

iPAQ vs. iPhone!!
    yes either..isnt Dell in the game now?
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Dell has money available as evident from them buying Perot Systems the other day. I like Dell too because I loved my Dell Axim. But as a company they have been lagging and haven't seen anything great.

HP on the other hand is rocking right now and has a hand in everything from consumer PC and laptops to Servers and I think they could integrate smoothly.

iPAQ with WebOS vs. iPhone!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmcnamara43 View Post
    yes either..isnt Dell in the game now?
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Eh, correlation isn't always causation. I think the increase in stock price has more to do with the public offering than with this.

Rumors like this pop have been popping up this time of the year for the last couple of years.
    Agreed. But news like this can spark interest and thoughts by other companies... to want to get into the wireless mobile computing space which is the next tech frontier. PCs and Laptops are yesterday and Dell and HP don't want to be left behind. It's gotta happen real soon and Palm is ripe for the picken and someone WILL take them.

WebOS iPAQ baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Eh, correlation isn't always causation. I think the increase in stock price has more to do with the public offering than with this.

Rumors like this pop have been popping up this time of the year for the last couple of years.
    This makes me nervous, too! Long time Palm users remember an application vendor named PdaApps that wrote Verichat who was bought by Intellisync who was then bought by Nokia.... Arguably the best Palm Treo app ever written. Nokia bought them and surreptitiously shut them down...hopefully this doesn't happen again, but it does bring back bad memories...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast