Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    smartphone not too nice? they still sold 2 million N97 phones in the first 3 months out. yes worldwide sales but at extremely high prices and people pay for it. you imagine their ability to get WebOS out to the world like that?

i actually dont think the synergy would be good either... but i can see nokia seeing their market share at risk and they can afford to buy palm and take a chance to go against Apple and RIM.

I had thought earlier in the year Palm will get bought and still think they will. If they don't get into gear with the App store and any more missteps and it will happen. Dell has cash.

Kinda thinking lately... HP would be a good buyer... and they had a hit with their ipaqs early on (that would be funny to bring the name back... iPaq versus iPhone!!) and like what they did with their recent communicator line. Going WebOS would be good. HP is a monster company.

iPAQ vs iPhone!!! join me everyone!
    Worth keeping in mind that a lot of those high end and high priced Nokia (and HTC phones) can be had for little to free on contract with Euro carriers unlike here in the States.

Case in point, that N97 that fetches upwards of $600 can be had for free on contract on Vodafone U.K... Nokia N97 - Buy Nokia N97 Mobile Phones from Vodafone on a 35/month ($57.39) plan.
    Now i don't know about you but if any U.S carrier was giving away N97's for free with a minimum $60 plan and 2 yr contract, it would be black friday come early i think.

Even that 1GHZ Snapdragon Toshiba is free on Orange U.K..damm..
    Last edited by Merovingian; 09/22/2009 at 09:53 PM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    This may be the worst possible thing for Palm. They are striking out in a new direction with a lot of potential. Last thing they need is for one of those big companies to come along and suck the life out of them. Seriously, companies like Motorola, Nokia, Dell, HP, and yes, even Microsoft, have demonstrated nothing but pure incompetence in the mobile market over the last couple years.

For instance, look at Nokia's response to the iTunes App Store -- called Ovi. They had plenty of time to observe iTunes and make their store better. Instead, it sucks even worse than iTunes, by a long shot.

These big companies would be the worst possible thing for Palm. They would bring a cash infusion, but months or years down the road, it will be Palm RIP.

If Palm is smart, they will stick it out on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    This may be the worst possible thing for Palm. They are striking out in a new direction with a lot of potential. Last thing they need is for one of those big companies to come along and suck the life out of them. Seriously, companies like Motorola, Nokia, Dell, HP, and yes, even Microsoft, have demonstrated nothing but pure incompetence in the mobile market over the last couple years.

For instance, look at Nokia's response to the iTunes App Store -- called Ovi. They had plenty of time to observe iTunes and make their store better. Instead, it sucks even worse than iTunes, by a long shot.

These big companies would be the worst possible thing for Palm. They would bring a cash infusion, but months or years down the road, it will be Palm RIP.

If Palm is smart, they will stick it out on their own.
    Totally agree with you. When a small firm gets sucked in by a BIG one, nothing is left. I doubt Nokia will make WebOS better. I think they will make it worse. And completely abandon it in a year. Let's hope Palm will make a wise decision.
    Your right. I just thought in the US you have to pay full price for one of those phones and forgot how they are sold in other countries. But they still sold/selling a lot of N97s.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Worth keeping in mind that a lot of those high end and high priced Nokia (and HTC phones) can be had for little to free on contract with Euro carriers unlike here in the States.

Case in point, that N97 that fetches upwards of $600 can be had for free on contract on Vodafone U.K... Nokia N97 - Buy Nokia N97 Mobile Phones from Vodafone on a 35/month ($57.39) plan.
    Now i don't know about you but if any U.S carrier was giving away N97's for free with a minimum $60 plan and 2 yr contract, it would be black friday come early i think.

Even that 1GHZ Snapdragon Toshiba is free on Orange U.K..damm..
    Ugh...I would prefer Nokia stay away from Palm. Does anyone remember what happened to Avvenu remote desktop service and PDAaaps verichat etc? Everything Nokia seems to get their hands on gets discontinued or axed, never to be seen or heard from again. They simply don't have a good track record with their acquisitions in my opinon...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    ...If Palm is smart, they will stick it out on their own.
    I think it's the shareholders that call the shots. It's an opportunity for them to double their investment money in a slow economy. Money talks.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Yeah, it is about money for shareholders (and brokers) and bye, bye to Palm. Nokia has no real interest in any of Palm products.

Such is the life
    I think Nokia could sort out the hardware side of things though!
    @kamakazikev24, Why would Nokia do that? They have their own hardware line that is standard to their line of business. Nokia would dump Pre in a heartbeat and get rid of one more petty competition. They may get the OS and that's it.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    5 years ago, Palm wanted to divest its hardware business and become a software company. Now they have a mobile OS laden with world-class potential but are still plagued with complaints about hardware build quality, and need capital for R&D and market development on the platform.

Nokia makes some of the world's greatest mobile phone hardware, driven by the weakest smartphone operating systems, and are hemorrhaging market share worldwide, but have a large war-chest of capital for acquisitions.

When looked at this way, it does actually seem like an interesting opportunity for both companies.

The problem is, it would be Nokia taking over Palm, and Nokia's cash would ultimately trump all of Palm's decisions, which isn't the best strategy for either of them. Not a good situation.

Nokia's handsets are awesome from a standpoint of their physical indestructability, but I don't particularly want to see their management team on top of Palm's (even though Palm has historically had pretty bad management problems of their own). I can see the appeal of the idea, but it's just not really wise, especially during a major software development push.
    "Anyone who quotes me in their signature is an *****." -- StormD
    Before you guys start trashing Nokia, bear in mind that they're the king of the commoditized phone.

If you want the fastest way to see a half dozen new webOS phones with 10 million users to spur development, Nokia is probably it.
    If history is any indicator, Nokia has shown that any Palm supported or based product no longer exists after a take over. Definitely Palm will not be around on this takeover, you may have several WebOS devices, it is made by Nokia.

I don't think that trashing Nokia. It is what has happened. Can it change, sure after corporate culture does a complete makeover for that to happen. Nah, Nokia will follows its proven path, it will take what is useful to its business only. Whatever it is it decides to keep, there will be no indication that Palm ever existed.

Edit: this just be a stupid rumor fueled by speculators but if Palm is really in dire financial condition, then it may happen
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 09/23/2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added the speculation details.
    Source of the false rumour that Nokia is going to buy Palm is a press release issued Tuesday in Finland, home of Nokia, about Nokia's purchase of Plum Ventures, Inc. That's Plum, P-L-U-M, not Palm! Of course if you are a non-English speaking Finn Palm and Plum are just two very similar, random sets of characters. That and previous Nokia/Palm rumors started the rumor anew in Finland. It jumped the big pond to The US, and back again to Europe, without the clarifying press release. Palm stock shot up when the rumor began circulating widely and still hovers above $17.00 a share. Wouldn't want to hold a lot of Palm Stock when this hits the wires. English version of release: (add http: //) media-newswire.com/release_1099224.html]Media-Newswire.com - Press Release Distribution - PRPRPR $Agency$[/$url$]
    Last edited by smanion; 09/23/2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: correction
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    wow!
    Now that the Android variants are coming out in droves, Palm is beginning to fade from the spotlight. It seems like all we're hearing about is all Driod, no Storm2. RIM's and Nokia's lifestyle-centric devices are being left in the iPhone and Android dust.

I really think that Palm can compete, given the resources. They are "in-touch" with the what's going on and coming to the forefront on these smartphones and can be really innovative...an important aspect battling the juggernauts. Offer something that the others don't and make them play catch-up This is where RIM and Nokia can't seem to get it (RIM less that Nokia).
    It would behove RIM or Nokia (RIM especially) to acquire Palm as their lifestyle-device division so they can compete. The Blackberry OS is soon becoming the kludge that was Garnett (but with stability).

So what do you all think? RIM-Palm?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Palm shares rise as takeover rumor resurfaces

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:56pm EST

NEW YORK/CHICAGO (Reuters) - Shares of Palm Inc rose 8 percent on Friday fueled by rumors that bigger rival phone maker Nokia may be eyeing the maker of the Pre and Pixi smartphones.

"Palm shares jumped and its call volume surged to 9 times their normal level as more than 80,000 call contracts traded by midday on renewed takeover speculation," said Frederic Ruffy, option strategist at WhatsTrading.com, a Web information site.

Representatives for Palm and Nokia were not immediately available to comment after Palm shares rose 8.1 percent to $12.38 in active afternoon trading on Nasdaq.

Chatter about a combination of Palm and potential suitors has bubbled up from time to time for months. Ruffy said that in September, the speculation was that Nokia might bid for Palm -- but nothing ever happened and Palm shares have been down 30 percent since then.

"The same speculation has resurfaced this Friday, one week before November options expiration," he added. "A lot of the activity is in the Palm November call options with some investors opening new positions expecting additional gains while others are closing out positions ahead of next Friday when they go off the board."

Technology companies Dell Inc and Microsoft Corp and handset manufacturer Motorola have all been named as potential suitors.

In theory, owning Palm could bolster a company's mobile presence and provide a challenge to Apple Inc's iPhone and Research in Motion's BlackBerry devices.

But many analysts have called such a deal unlikely, saying that any buyer would have to pay more than $2 billion, and then sink more in to marketing and distribution.

Rather than buy the company, Nokia could simply license Palm's operating system technology for far less, some have said.
    <merged>Some analysts wants to make this happen.
    anyone think about google buying out palm and implementing their IP into future releases of Android? Just me playfully dreaming... All those android apps, within a webos UI.... (iPhone extinguisher, anyone?)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12