View Poll Results: Should the FCC make all data carriers remove restrictions?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Free Mobile choice

2 50.00%
  • No, It should be the providers choice

2 50.00%
  1.    #1  
    Got this off Forbes!

NEW YORK -- Wireless carriers shouldn't be allowed to block certain types of Internet traffic flowing over their networks, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission chairman said Monday in a speech that figures to provoke a fight with the industry.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said wireless carriers should be subject to the same "open Internet" rules that the agency has begun to apply to home broadband providers.

It's unclear how the rules would apply in practice to wireless data. For instance, carriers officially restrict how Internet-access cards for laptops are used, but rarely enforce the rules. The government also has been investigating Apple Inc. ( AAPL - news - people )'s approval process for iPhone applications, but Genachowski isn't directly addressing manufacturers' right to determine which applications run on their phones.

Essentially, Genachowski wants to codify the principles the FCC has already been applying to wired Internet traffic - and extend them to wireless.

Last year, the agency sanctioned Comcast Corp. ( CMCSA - news - people ) for secretly hampering file-sharing traffic by its cable-modem subscribers. In making that ruling, the agency relied on broad "principles" of open Internet access that hadn't previously been put to the test. The cable company filed suit, saying the FCC didn't have the authority to tell it how to run its network. The case is still in federal appeals court.

BATS Real-Time Market Data by XigniteThe chairman is now proposing to make it a formal rule that Internet carriers cannot discriminate against certain types of traffic by degrading service. That expands on the principle that they cannot "block" traffic, as articulated in a 2005 policy statement
    I know the whole entitlement thing is in vogue at the moment, but they're offering you a service you can accept or reject. Just as they can't force you to buy their product, you can't force them to offer you something they don't want to. Vote with your pocketbook and move to a competitor if you dislike their practices.

Once you have the gov't step in and dictate the terms, they gain control and we all lose. You might think the so-called "neutrality" will let you get your heavy (subsidized) bandwidth fix, but when you ban the ability to prioritize traffic types you'll suddenly find yourself without streaming hi-def or any number of future services that need guaranteed, real-time bandwidth because it's illegal to have time-insensitive email/file transfer/text packets take a back seat.
    I find this very interesting. I certainly understand what the FCC is trying to do, but I totally understand what jaguar717 is saying.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's