Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Conveniently, revenues do not include costs/expenses. Naturally, Palm gets to take credit (revenue) on total phones moved through the system. However, Palm expenses for refurbing the returns is probably contributing significantly to their $165 million loss in that same first quarter of Pre sales. Those "phones in limbo" can become an overwhelming financial burden if not controlled.

10 Months ago Verizon released the BB Storm as an exclusive provider. The release was a nightmare of returns and bad reviews. Still, within three months of the Storm's release, Verizon reported selling over 1,000,000 of the devices. The Palm/Sprint Pre story pales in comparison.
    LOL!!! Uh no. I'm pretty damn sure the loss was taken on the legacy phones, not a mere possible 50,000 or so limbo Pres. You don't get a 50% decline in sales in your legacy products without huge losses.

BTW, have a look at the RIM Tour's trackball issues and talk of a 50% return rate. Now that's an ouchie.

More Issues Facing BlackBerry Tour, RIM Yanks Firmware Update

Last week, the BlackBerry Tour faced some public scrutiny due to its trackball. Beyond that, RIM (NSDQ: RIMM) officially approved new firmware for the Tour...and then yanked the update after it caused even more problems for end users.

The Tour's first few weeks of life in the smartphone market aren't going so well. An analyst recently noted that the device was seeing high return rates due to faulty trackballs. Both Sprint and Verizon Wireless have publicly reassured customers that there were indeed some hardware-related issues at first, but they have been fixed.

This morning's reports that suggest RIM approved and then pulled a firmware update for the Tour are troubling, to say the least.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...PSKHWATMY32JVN
    I don't recall Sprint acknowledging any major issues with the Pre, but my memory could be faulty. Anecdotal evidence noted here withstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    LOL!!! Uh no. I'm pretty damn sure the loss was taken on the legacy phones, not a mere possible 50,000 or so limbo Pres. You don't get a 50% decline in sales in your legacy products without huge losses.
    Of course not - that's why I said "contributing significantly."

Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    BTW, have a look at the RIM Tour's trackball issues and talk of a 50% return rate. Now that's an ouchie.
    True - that one analyst making the claim sure has gotten some press. Just like when he wrote this article about Palm Pre 1st quarter sales (416,000 total sold). Like you've said around here before - a single spreader of FUD can gain more press than is deserved.

At the same time, RIM's about to release the results of yet-another strong quarter (40% revenue jump over same quarter last year). RIM also routinely releases their sales numbers, by device, probably because they understand how that kind of information contributes to the overall financial picture. I wonder why Palm and Sprint would choose to keep similar sales information, about a single, allegedly important phone in their respective lineups, so secret? Because it's been so successful? Hmm...
    What date was the cutoff for this fiscal quarter report?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    What date was the cutoff for this fiscal quarter report?
    31 Aug 09.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Just to irk you further because you sure seem to have a bug up your as...**** about the defective Pres or something else.

Cramer Says Wake Up Or Get Swept Away

CNBC's Mad Money Jim Cramer warned people who are shorting Palm (NASDAQ: PALM) to wake up or be swept away by internet mobile tsunami.

Cramer Says Wake Up Or Get Swept Away | Benzinga.com

And before you even ask, NO, I'm not accusing you of being short Palm. I'm just messing with you because you seem like a curmudgeon.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123