View Poll Results: Is PALM out of woods after yesterday's announcement.

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, They are !!!! Look at Pre sales, Pixie, GSM Pre and upcoming APP Store.

50 51.55%
  • Nope, They have long way to go. None of these phones will get them out of woods.

47 48.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    My 2 cents ,
    Pre is selling well ( please don't bring iPhone or BB here).
    Pre is being launched in Europe in a month or so.
    Pixie will be here in two months.
    Bell Canada is selling Pre well.
    Pre is hot selling phone in BestBuy.
    PALM is offering another stock offering.

I say PALM is out of WOODS.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    It's like you went out of your way to not use "the" or "a" in everything you typed...
    Not yet. Gotta see how their app store will play out.
    selling "well" is relative :-)

If Palm thought that Pre sales numbers were impressive enough, why not announce them. It would give a boost to the stock and increase the value of the stock offering.

Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    My 2 cents ,
    Pre is selling well ( please don't bring iPhone or BB here).
    Pre is being launched in Europe in a month or so.
    Pixie will be here in two months.
    Bell Canada is selling Pre well.
    Pre is hot selling phone in BestBuy.
    PALM is offering another stock offering.

I say PALM is out of WOODS.
    Your poll does not seem as useful as it could be with only 2 extreme choices.
    The reality is they are neither doomed or assured of success. They have a good start in a race which requires stamina, endurance, and agility. This is too close to call one way or the other.

EDIT: Before anyone asks/comments, I think they have agility and considerable stamina, but have less endurance than many competitors in the race.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Palm needs to prove more dedication to the product.

When I say that, I'm referring to the app store.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    It's like you went out of your way to not use "the" or "a" in everything you typed...
    I liked the form used -- I am pretty sure it was a stylistic choice. It looks more poetry-like and helps emphasize the points. If you look at a few of the 1000+ posts by gbp he is clearly not linguistically challenged in English. :-)
    Last edited by rlopin; 09/18/2009 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Meant to reply to Shadnic's post. Added quote to clarify
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    I liked the form used -- I am pretty sure it was a stylistic choice. It looks more poetry-like and helps emphasize the points. If you look at a few of the 1000+ posts by gbp he is clearly not linguistically challenged in English. :-)
    Gracious,
    When your brain thinks faster , your fingers type slower such things happen.
    And you are right, I am not a native speaker of english :-)

I thank the guy above who needed "a" and "The" for being grammar police.

• Jon Rubinstein said the PALM Pre phone is selling well in the united states.( please don't bring iPhone or BB here).

• The GSM PALM Pre smart phone will be launched in the Europe this autumn.

• The highly anticipated PALM Pixie will be released in the UNITED STATES before the holiday season.

• Currently the sales numbers from Bell Canada indicate that the Pre is selling well.

• The PALM Pre smart phone is listed as the best selling phone on BestBuy's website.

• PALM is planning another stock offer to the investors.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    Thank you sire , for correcting the articles :-).
    Sorry if you didn't understand the intent of the post.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Your poll does not seem as useful as it could be with only 2 extreme choices.
    The reality is they are neither doomed or assured of success. They have a good start in a race which requires stamina, endurance, and agility. This is too close to call one way or the other.

EDIT: Before anyone asks/comments, I think they have agility and considerable stamina, but have less endurance than many competitors in the race.
    Agree,
    Its a tough situation when 1000 employees who are working round the clock
    They better hire more employees.
    I bet they will hire more employees after they get that money from the new stock offer.
    Last edited by gbp; 09/18/2009 at 03:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Depends on what you mean by clear. Are they going to be profitable? Survive? Become a major smartphone player? I don't think they are going to fail imminently. But the long-term prognosis is another question. They are a little fish in a big pond, with lots of other big fish. WebOS is great, but it's handicapped by a late start and 4 other big OS platforms already in the mobile world, each backed by much bigger companies. There ultimately won't be that many players. In my wild dreams, WebOS catches fire and become a huge player with Palm as an independent company. In my more realistic positive scenarios, Palm and WebOS are acquired or joint-ventured with another big player - HP, Dell, Samsung. In the worst case, they are just crushed by the big boys. It's about scale as smartphones become mainstream. It's a big land-grab for market share. And scale - the marketing, financing and distribution - is NOT something they have like the other guys. But I still hold out hope anyway. I love my Pre too much not to.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I think they are doing well. It would have been nice if they had sold 3 million Pres by now, but over half a million is good too. I imagine sales will pick up if they advertise more, especially at $150. With the introduction to Europe as well as the Pixi, I imagine there should be 2 million WebOS users by next spring.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    I think the company will survive but will swallowed up by a bigger company wanting to get into the smartphone business.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think the company will survive but will swallowed up by a bigger company wanting to get into the smartphone business.
    Who will buy ?
    Not apple,rimm,microsoft,google,nokia. Because they have their own OS
    Dell started making Android phones.
    Samsung and LG are making WinMon and Android phones.
    Might be Hp.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I would kill for a Sony CLIE running WebOS.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Palm needs to prove more dedication to the product.

When I say that, I'm referring to the app store.
    I agree to a degree. If you watched the Engadget show with Palm CEO; the comment to show its dedication to the product will be coming from more of the product itself. He commented more about Palm's responsibility to get more devices out with this OS on other carriers as well. He commented to giving Palm users more choices. I think he is right on, remember this guys was responsible for the saving of Apple for the last 9 years.

If he is able to get more people using the OS on multiple carriers, the ability to profit from apps will take care of the need for more apps by itself.
    I have to agree that they will survive but most likely be bought out. They are too small right now and if the momentum keeps up, they might need a powerhouse to step in to finish the job. I give them credit though, I would never have bought a palm product if it weren't for the pre
    Palm is still in the game...At this point last year they were dead meat...The kids in my neighborhood want pres now whereas before they wouldnt be caught dead with a palm phone so they have a future now and we will see how it all plays out...
    No. Palm is out of the woods when it has no debt, and has stable earnings. it has neither. Not only that it gave guidance for earnings which is a change but it guided that it would have lower then expected earnings. So for some reason they expect to earn less in the future. That's not stability. Phones have a rather short product cycle as well. so Palm has yet to prove that it can compete from product cycle to product cycle since in the smart phone era it really hasn't gone through multiple cycles. And whether we want to mention them or not Palm must do as well as it's competitors. We saw Motorola did fine with the Razor but lost it quickly. Basically in one product cycle and there are always going to be competitors. Not to mention the issue that most of it's competitors make several products not all of which are even in the cell phone market and thus they have other revenue streams which can fund things like, research, new products, hiring, support, heavy ad pushes, etc. Palm basically has two products at the moment, thus two revenue streams. Regardless until they develop some semblance of stable earnings and get rid of their debt, Palm is not out of the woods.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    they are on the right path but definitely not out of the woods. i'll look over their financials when i get a chance to see if there is anything i can divine from their numbers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast