Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.wmexperts.com/palm-finished-windows-mobile

John Rubenstein himself during a financial conference call:
    Due to importance of webOS to our overall strategy, we've made the decision to dedicate all future develoment resources to the evolution of webOS. Which means that going forward, our roadmap will include only Palm webOS-based devices
    T'was fun while it lasted. Of course it makes sense from their end, can't blame them. Yet the Treo Pro was a pretty nice turn around for them.

Can HTC fill their shoes?

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    http://www.wmexperts.com/palm-finished-windows-mobile

John Rubenstein himself during a financial conference call:

T'was fun while it lasted. Of course it makes sense from their end, can't blame them. Yet the Treo Pro was a pretty nice turn around for them.

Can HTC fill their shoes?
    That's sad. Moto's out of the WinMo game as well.

Maybe HTC buys the Treo branding/IP from Palm?
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
    A very, very sad day.

The Treo Pro is one of the best WinMo devices out there. I understand they want to focus on the future, but I think it's a bit early to put the nail in the WinMo coffin.

The LEAST Jon/Palm could do is open up the source code for the Treo 800w and Treo Pro (for unlocking, custom ROMs, etc.; I know the one for Treo Pro is out), so that the user community to continue to use them.

The Treo 800W and Treo Pro both have current feature sets, and are very functional. A shame to let them die on the vine.

I guess they think the Pixi will bring the Treo form factor folks over, but the absence of Wi-Fi is a massive fail. I guess we wait the Pixi 2.

While I am bummed, I have a nicely functional Treo Pro and Treo 800w, and I'm sure they will tied me over until mid next year.

I guess HTC could fill the void if they wanted to; however, they are all giddy with TouchFLO/Sense, which is less appealing for them on 320x320 (obviously, some people like is). I think HTC could do a candybar qwerty with a 320x480, if they really wanted to. But I think us "niche" Treo users will be out in the cold.
    Damn...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    We all knew this day was coming. Time will tell if WebOS is a homerun for Palm. Many believe in its current state its very incomplete and I agree with that. The Pre so they say is close to 1 million sold. Not exactly a wait in line at a store device.

The Pixi is the worst name of device ever. Not many guys will be diving on this one. How awkward is the conversation guy to guy about the name.

"Dude, what phone is that?"
    "It's really cool, its called a Pixi."
    "You sure?"

Guess the Pixi is for those looking to upgrade their Pink Centro. Keyboard looks cramped and tiny like the Centro. WebOS, gross.

Palm releasing two phones in one year, Wow, may have to call Guiness.

Sad day, Palm's dead.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I won't say I told you so.

Given the change in command and his strong anti-MS lineage, plus that of the others that joined Palm (APPLE, Apple, apple...), I would have only been surprised if Palm released another WM device. Rubinstein was put at the helm to take Palm in a new direction and that's exactly what he's doing.

After Palm OS, Palm provided the means to take the WM route or the webOS route. But once they released webOS, it's no longer in their self interests to sell devices with competing mobile OS.

Wow, just as I was getting used to my WM Treo device.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    Maybe HTC buys the Treo branding/IP from Palm?
    I've said that for the longest... it makes sense.... but it also makes sense for palm to keep it, just in case they need to revive the name... or sell the company later.

But then, I'm not so sure htc needs the "treo" brand... if the treo is out the way, and htc builds a "treo-like" device, it will sell. HTC is a known name now...

I hope Palm sinks to the bottom of a lake. If it were not for the palm treo pro situation, I'd feel a lot different about palm.

I have serious doubts if I will EVER buy a palm os device again. Considering google, apple, and win 7, I'm sure I'm not saying anything I could not do. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Dang.... love my Treo Pro, way more than my previous Touch Pro. It's by far the best WM phone or PDA that I've had in the last 9 years.

But hey, evolution happens... Palm may have something here with Web OS, although I think missing out on Windows Mobile 7 is a mistake - they may come back to WM in the future, who knows.

I'm excited about the Pixie, and also about the HTC Hero. Sprint has got more good stuff going for it with regards to new phones than ever before. Let's hope they can pull through the knot-hole and survive. I'm on board...
    Global Posts
    2,653 Global Posts
    A pixi eos with 8gb or more with a 320x480 screen would be a worthy successor to the treo pro. I could live with that otherwise its on to something else either android or wm6.5 or better. Waiting for October 6 and see what ATT comes out with.
    so there'll be no Palm phone with an expansion card and a good PIM anymore. Bye bye Palm for me. Will hang on with the Pro for a bit, but I'll probably say goodbye to that and check out the Hero. I'm still bitter that I can't keep my user fields in win mobile, but I could on a BB. And webOS still sucks for PIM functionality compared to PalmOS. I also drop more calls on my Pro and my brief time with the Pre than I've done with my Centro that I've had since its release. So while the Pro has some things going for it, my love of Palm died with PalmOS. webOS has some slickness, but dumbing it down for the Google crowd is a no go.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Very sad day for me. I have had both the 700wx and now the Pro, and really like both devices. Palm showed me WM was not the problem, but other device makers didn't know how to tweak and design WM to fit their devices.
  13. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I have been brand loyal to Palm ever since the first Palm Pilot came out and then eventually transioned over to WM with the Treo 750. Having tried other WM devices, I am convinced Palm had utilized WM the most practical way.

At this point I am very happy with my Treo Pro, but I am pretty sure I will be staying with Palm even if they only market Web OS devices.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
    I've been a treo user since the 270 days. I remember the reluctance in my transition from the legacy palm os to wm. I've bee reliant on wm ever since in its near perfect incarnation in the candy bar form w/ keyboard on my treo 700wx, 750, 800w and now pro.

I wish palm the best, but I know when the time comes to replace my pro i'll have more options than I ever have before in the past. I plan on purchasing the handset with a feature-set that best matches my needs, and for the first time in a long time palm may not be an option.

The way I see it, competition and diversity can never be a bad thing for us consumers
    If Palm keeps changing focus like they have in the past few years, third party developers won't stand a chance. I kind of like my Pro, better than all Palms before it. WebOS (Cloud computing) doesn't interest me.
    Android has won me over already anyway as i am headed to the Sprint Hero when it lands.

Having prefaced with that i would say that Palm's special-sauced-Treos were the most tolerable Windows Mobile devices i have ever used over the years. The one-handedness could not be beat...Treo 700Wx and my now Treo Pro are in different leagues...but at the end of the day we need more from Win Mobile.

To be honest, WebOS has disappointed me greatly (or maybe it's the Pre hardware itself) along with its emphasis on almost everything..."the cloud". For now it's hard to separate WebOS from the hardware that is the Pre. It is akin to when Android came out and all we had was the G1 to go with it.

Palm is not know for bigger than 2.4 inch Win Mobile devices, which i think had always been a skill they lacked. As modern mobile O.Ses get richer and bigger screen devices are needed to enjoy them fully, Palm was always at a disadvantage. I wonder what they would have come up with to run Win Mobile 7.

Change is the only constant thing in life, and change for the better is always appealing.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I have been brand loyal to Palm ever since the first Palm Pilot came out and then eventually transioned over to WM with the Treo 750. Having tried other WM devices, I am convinced Palm had utilized WM the most practical way.

At this point I am very happy with my Treo Pro, but I am pretty sure I will be staying with Palm even if they only market Web OS devices.
    Interesting. I still have a T5 that, when I charge it up, still works. My good experience with that got me to take a hard look at the Treo Pro. I have friends who've had other Treos & not had great experiences with them.

I see a series of things that might make this a bad decision for Palm.

1) WebOS isn't a mature OS, the app base is still pretty abysmal & I'm not impressed with Pre hardware quality. The 1st two of those was also true for HTC when Android came out & Apple brought out the iPhone & the iPod Touch. But HTC & Apple had a pre-existing fanbase & ongoing set of products to keep them going while Android & the iPhone matured & developed market share. On the other hand, Palm's putting all their eggs in one basket that really hasn't proven itself, yet. The potential is there, but it's not yet a proven product or product base.

2) Palm's treatment of customers seems to leave something to be desired. When they determined they wanted to move from PDAs to phone/PDA combos, they appeared to pretty much just drop the PDA-only market. They then added WM to the phone OS choices. When they perfected that in the Treo Pro, it became pretty clear that Palm OS was dead. Shortly after the Treo Pro, they bring out the Pre, & then announcing no more WM (& therefore no more Treo Pro), once again abandoning an existing customer base in search of the Holy Grail. I'm seeing no customer care in this history.

3) Assuming that WebOS is really "the next great thing", it isn't there, yet. The Pre is selling well, but there aren't huge sales. With only an immature OS, small app base & not necessarily stellar hardware for the Pre, Palm is going to cut into Pre sales by bringing out a 2nd WebOS phone in under 6 months?!? They're fragmenting sales while adding to manufacturing costs by having to have more than one production line. Why, with all of the above, am I sensing no stability here?

I hope I'm wrong & Palm does really well by focusing on WebOS. But, right now, I see only two potential benefits to the present Palm direction. First, as Palm & retailers work toward getting rid of the Treo inventory, hopefully I can pick up 1 or 2 GSM Treo Pros dirt cheap as replacements. Second, if I'm correct in what I've said above, it might make Palm a good buyout target by some company that can really develop the WebOS platform without killing itself or its customer base in the process.
    Some insightful commentary there Kraski.

I think Palm is running the Pre and Pixi together, to complement how they used to run the Treo and Centro lines in tandem. But you're right about it being a costly jump, which carries many risks.

As far as Palm being a buyout prospect, I would not be shocked if the Apple-heads now running Palm desired to get Palm hooked onto the Apple Mothership . The iPhone still is exclusive to AT&T in the USA, but having Palm would help Apple reach other carriers with "something". And then the two companies would be working together instead of at odds with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    As far as Palm being a buyout prospect, I would not be shocked if the Apple-heads now running Palm desired to get Palm hooked onto the Apple Mothership . The iPhone still is exclusive to AT&T in the USA, but having Palm would help Apple reach other carriers with "something". And then the two companies would be working together instead of at odds with each other.
    I hope you're wrong on that one. Although it might be interesting to see what Apples phone OS would do for a phonewith a keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    ....Second, if I'm correct in what I've said above, it might make Palm a good buyout target by some company that can really develop the WebOS platform without killing itself or its customer base in the process.
    I think you're spot on!
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast