Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    RIMM [sic] is far larger than Palm, but you are wrong. Palm can survive as a company releasing 1-2 devices a year. It is a small company, so it doesn't need as much as RIMM.
    Bad comparison. RIM has 4 times as many employees as Palm (4000 vs 1000). RIM produces 5 times as many phone models and generates 8 times more revenue than Palm. Comparing the number of employees makes Palm look like a company of deadbeats when compared to RIM.

This statement is not a logical statement. "We both wanted the Pre but after them killing two phones on me I have no confidence that they will fully support the Pre for the long haul and as it stands it NEEDS support"
    Be for real. This is Palm's future. Palm stated that they will not make any more WM phones. Their future phones will be WebOS. How can you say they will not support the Pre in the long haul?
    If Palm is purchased by Nokia, their support for the Pre is in question. Besides, Palm has a culture of dropping product lines like hot potatoes. Ask pretty well any Handspring Visor owner - a company that has been driving the Palm culture for the last 6 years.
    WM was nice on the Pro, but every carrier is changing. Even WM is changing its look and interface. WebOs is still young, but has a lot of potential. Some things it does better than other OSes, somethings it does worst. Its only been out 3 months where as WM has been out for years. Give it some time to mature.
    Yes, I agree with you, the product is still at a start and I may consider it a latter point. As I am not one who buys on the first release anyway so my POV is simply which one would be better now if I were to get a new device.

My other consideration is that if Palm ever change ownership, WM appeals to better for my use.
    IMO, another good move by Palm. They are a very small company compared to the competition and they need to use that to their advantage. The only way to do that to trim down the product lines.

I personally believe WebOS is going to be a home run for Palm. My Pre is far my best Palm device to date and it is getting better at a much faster rate than any of my previous Palm devices. Palm is only scratching the surface on WebOS's potential. The future is very bright!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    If Palm is purchased by Nokia, their support for the Pre is in question. Besides, Palm has a culture of dropping product lines like hot potatoes. Ask pretty well any Handspring Visor owner - a company that has been driving the Palm culture for the last 6 years.
    The company that has been driving the Palm culture for the past year is Apple, not Handspring, those guys have left the building.
    This statement is not a logical statement. "We both wanted the Pre but after them killing two phones on me I have no confidence that they will fully support the Pre for the long haul and as it stands it NEEDS support"
    Be for real. This is Palm's future. Palm stated that they will not make any more WM phones. Their future phones will be WebOS. How can you say they will not support the Pre in the long haul?

Also, if I'm not mistaking, there is still a support page for both the Treo800w and the Treo Pro. How is this cutting support?

Cutting support and not making any more WM devices are not the same thing.

You are right - the support pages are still there but what support are they providing - They put one or two bug fixes up for the 800w before it was doa and you have not seen a single thing new since then. Are you suggesting the 800w was a perfect phone after those two bug fixes. The Pro has two patches listed as well. Think you will ever see another since winmo is dead at palm...... If you do lets make a wager

When the Pre 2 hits you think they will do squat for the Pre - hell are they doing anything about the very well know hardware issues outside of claiming they do not exist.

If you like your Pre I am happy for you - That said I am done with Palm as a company as they do not value me or many other winmo customers.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    Good riddance WM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The company that has been driving the Palm culture for the past year is Apple, not Handspring, those guys have left the building.
    Ed Colligan left Palm in June 2009. You need to get your calendar realigned.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I think WM is a dog. I have a WM phone today and while it's flashier and has newer things than the Palm OS that I used for many years its no where near as finished. It's buggy and missing piles of the little basic things that made Palm OS so great.

So while i dont think ditching WM is a bad idea. I think ditching Palm OS and WM before WebOS is done cooking is a bad idea. Perhaps they never should have made the deal with the devil and put WM on treo's in the first place and spent those resources to keep pathcing palm OS to keep it current until webOS came along. Too late to fix that now though so I think they should have kept WM a little longer.

so my 2 cents is big picture it's wise, short term picture it's a little too soon.
    can't disagree with any of that. I'd say 90% of what I do on the Pro took less keystrokes and effort in Palm OS. Though I think PalmOS hd reached it's limit of tweakability on today's modern equipment and there's only so much patching you can do for a lame duck OS. though they abandoned too many of it's strengths when developing webOS so that isn't the answer for me either.

Will be checking out the Samsung and HTC android options and give them a run. So far the Pro is the only phone I've kept since trying to move on from my Centro. And there really isn't much that keeps me on it compared to the Centro. There are things I like, but the love isn't there like I had ith my 13yr relationship with PalmOS.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    ...There are things I like, but the love isn't there like I had ith my 13yr relationship with PalmOS.
    GREAT way to put it.

I had a palm III (I think that was the number)- but the treo's I was really in love with. HAd a 600, 650, 700p on 2 different carries, and a Centro. I was always waiting for the next great treo planning on how to manipulate my account so I could get the latest and greatest treo all the time. But now i'm just kind of wandering around tying to decide which of these 2nd tier options i "like" the best. Right now the devices so dont matter to me that the carrier is most important not which phone i can get.

Hopefully as WebOS matures they can come out with a device line that I LOVE again and I'll jump to that carrier. The Pre's not there for me (not a fan of the sldiers) and the pixi doesn't make me primed to jump carriers either. If my carrier gets the pixi I'll probably try it but i wont be jumping ship to get it.
    I missed that 'w' in with typing on my pro. Wouldnlt have missed that with grafitti on my i500 which was my most favorite Palm device ever. Still have it along with my Vx and Professional. I reluctantly migrated to the Treo. Heck, the Pro overall is a nice design (though the keyboard is till lackluster) and they managed to make the Pixie's design even worse. Go figure.

If Access would've came out with their Linux OS without missing a beat (say a year, year and a half ago) on good hardware I would've been so on board and could've cared less about WebOS, WM, iphone and android. Seems like it would've been the perfect blend of PalmOS and Linux.

As efudd eluded to, OS loyalty is just gone. carrier coverage and price is the driving force and whatever phone in the stable that best fits your needs will do.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Bad comparison. RIM has 4 times as many employees as Palm (4000 vs 1000). RIM produces 5 times as many phone models and generates 8 times more revenue than Palm. Comparing the number of employees makes Palm look like a company of deadbeats when compared to RIM.

Actually RIM has 12 times as many employees. 12,000. 1,000 just for R&D, the entire size of Palm. That is not a bad comparison. Palm is just extremely small

I doubt Nokia will purchase Palm. If they did, I doubt Nokia would drop the Pre. It is on too many headlines and blogs for it to be just dropped.

I don't really think they have been dropping product lines more than any other company. Every product over time will be dropped at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Yes, I agree with you, the product is still at a start and I may consider it a latter point. As I am not one who buys on the first release anyway so my POV is simply which one would be better now if I were to get a new device.

My other consideration is that if Palm ever change ownership, WM appeals to better for my use.
    That makes a a lot of sense and a valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    You are right - the support pages are still there but what support are they providing - They put one or two bug fixes up for the 800w before it was doa and you have not seen a single thing new since then. Are you suggesting the 800w was a perfect phone after those two bug fixes. The Pro has two patches listed as well. Think you will ever see another since winmo is dead at palm...... If you do lets make a wager

When the Pre 2 hits you think they will do squat for the Pre - hell are they doing anything about the very well know hardware issues outside of claiming they do not exist.

If you like your Pre I am happy for you - That said I am done with Palm as a company as they do not value me or many other winmo customers.
    You are right. I doubt they will provide any more updates. It is not their OS but I understand your point. Their are really no major problems and Microsoft won't be supporting WinMo 6.1 for much longer now. It is just evolution and the way things work. When Xbox 360 came out, most support for the original Xbox stopped. It is not something related just to Palm, but they still provide general support and answer questions for their devices.
    Ed Colligan left Palm in June 2009. You need to get your calendar realigned.
    He was probably just a seat warmer by then.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I went to a Sprint repair center with my friend because her Pro has been acting up for quite some time. He told her to come back in a few weeks because they were releasing a WebOS Treo Pro. I'm almost certain this is a case of the associate giving out bad info, he was probably thinking of the Pixi. Anyone come across something like this?
    regardless of the info, it doesn't take much to say, "no thanks. I prefer to stick with windows mobile. Please take care of it now."
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Well if you really miss windows on palm get you a windows-pre theme ... its faster than the WM phones and better but and stll a Palm....
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123