Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski
    I see only two potential benefits to the present Palm direction. First, as Palm & retailers work toward getting rid of the Treo inventory, hopefully I can pick up 1 or 2 GSM Treo Pros dirt cheap as replacements. Second, if I'm correct in what I've said above, it might make Palm a good buyout target by some company that can really develop the WebOS platform without killing itself or its customer base in the process.
    Excellent points & I agree. I do hope that the Treo's hardware & body styling are mentioned if bought out & also hope it is not Apple .

I hadn't thought of the the Pro's being available cheap, and if they do I will certainly pick atleast one up.

Actually that explains why Palm volunteered to send me a brand new unit when my replacement developed cracks; they are getting rid of inventory & ofcourse made a customer happy in the process.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I think Dell would be a better prospect than Apple. Seriously, though, I'm hoping that Sprint can help pull Palm through the knot-hole, and that once Windows Mobile 7 comes out Palm reconsiders... Sprint currently has the best plan pricing around, and some of the best phones - Touch Pro2, Pre, soon Pixi, and the Hero. For those in good coverage areas, I can see non iPhone people jumping ship left and right. I hope I'm right. Can you imagine how awesome the next iteration of a Treo Pro, running Windows Mobile 7 would be? I think Pal will reconsider.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilen71 View Post
    I think Dell would be a better prospect than Apple. Seriously, though, I'm hoping that Sprint can help pull Palm through the knot-hole, and that once Windows Mobile 7 comes out Palm reconsiders... Sprint currently has the best plan pricing around, and some of the best phones - Touch Pro2, Pre, soon Pixi, and the Hero. For those in good coverage areas, I can see non iPhone people jumping ship left and right. I hope I'm right. Can you imagine how awesome the next iteration of a Treo Pro, running Windows Mobile 7 would be? I think Pal will reconsider.
    Just having Sprint as a partner isn't enough. There's a whole world market out there being being eaten up by the Nokia's and iPhone's .... etc... of the world.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

4. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    No offense to Sprint, but I don't understand how Palm can be seriously competing with iPhone by making it an exclusive on the smallest of the 4 large providers & on a technology that has a limited world market. Ofcourse that doesn't mean that the partnership doesn't strengthen Palm's postion & I sincerely hope it is a success

Which reminds me, has anyone heard any concrete plans for a GSM Web OS? There have been some talk about a GSM Pixi being listed in the upcoming devices on A&T.
    There's talk of the GSM version of the Pre being released in Europe and Australia in late October - early November. I haven't seen anything firm, other than a German Carrier having a picture of the Pre now.

I haven't heard of a GSM version of the Pre being released in the US. Once the GSM version of the Pre hit's Europe, there will be unlocked versions available online and on EBay.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Just having Sprint as a partner isn't enough. There's a whole world market out there being being eaten up by the Nokia's and iPhone's .... etc... of the world.
    The big thing with not being aligned with a particular carrier is that you're not limited to a particular cell technology. The only phone maker I know of that is limited that way is Apple & IIRC they chose GSM then chose the carriers. And you're right about Nokia -- except in North America, the Symbian OS is pretty much the most popular throughout the world. That only changing with iPhone's increase in distribution outside North America.
    I understand that Palm is thinking it will make great strides with the Pre and devices that follow using the WebOS....but I for one cannot keep paying for new phones....I really like the Treo Pro and am saddened that Palm has effectively consigned a very good product to the scrap heap of technology well before its time!!!!!!!!! I am looking seriously at HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint and hope if I go that way ...that HTC doesnt go under or get ideas of abandoning WM OS....Either HTC or Blackberry (but I hate that trackball! and no Wi Fi)....

I think Palm has put all its tech eggs in one basket, and that is IMHO not a wise thing to do.......
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrog View Post

I think Palm has put all its tech eggs in one basket, and that is IMHO not a wise thing to do.......
    This and Palm cannot survive as a Company releasing 1-2 devices per year. RIM/Blackberry has committed to 16 releases in 2010 (trackpad is coming for those who hate trackball) and HTC possibly even more new releases.

The Pre and Pixi with an incomplete new WebOS is nowhere near a homerun imo. Don't know why Palm is still getting funding from investors and don't know why people are buying Palm stock.

Palm made the transition to Windows Mobile smooth for most of us years ago. Its sad to see them abandon us. Like mentioned from many other members I also won't be purchasing another Palm device in the future.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Wow, just as I was getting used to my WM Treo device.
    When did that happen?
    I thought you were still using the 650.
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    My first smartphone was a Treo 800w, and I now have a Treo Pro.
    I love Windows Mobile - I've used friend's BB's, and played with WebOS, and don't like them.
    I would like to try Android, but right now, I'm sticking with WM.
    I don't really like the non-front facing keyboard devices, so I kinda hope HTC comes out with something comparable...
    Or it could be that Palm's tweaking of WM is what makes it great...
    It's also funny, in retrospect, why this phone is called the Treo Pro - seems to be the last Treo Palm is releasing (unless they go with WebOS Treos).
    I'm sad that they've pulled out, but I hope my current phone will last for a while, and when I need to replace it, I hope there will be a comparable front facing device available.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Wow, just as I was getting used to my WM Treo device.
    No doubt. I think they got it just right thus in the Pro.
    Well, that's it for me. I am very sad that Palm have made that decision. I've had Palm devices since the Vx and have gone through the ranks from T3 to Treo 750 to Pro. I really like the Treo Pro and have got very much used to WM.

For me now (and I know many people will disagree) its going to be an iPhone.

I really am not a "me too" person, but everywhere I look I see iPhones and hardly ever see a Palm device (I live in the UK). You just cannot find any Palm devices for sale through the major cellular networks over here (Vodafone, Orange, T-Mobile etc.)

What this says to me is, can there really be a revenue stream to encourage further innovation from Palm? With the HUGE install base of iPhone, there is always going to be application development, product enhancement, accessories etc. etc. I just can't see this being there for the Palm brand as no-one uses them, no matter how good they are. iPhone has become the defacto standard and as such is going to be one step ahead of the market for a long time to come. (Not forever, but a long time!)

I know there are big differences between the Pro and the iPhone but from the "playing music, browsing the net, using email, using applications, having a future proofed purchase" perspective, I have now come to the conclusion it is the best option.

It would have been great to see further innovation in the Windows direction but this is not going to happen, which is a shame.

Ce la vie!
    My Treo Pro is my last Palm device. I have moved from the 650 to the 700wx to the Centro to the 800w and now to the Treo Pro

I moved from the 800w as it had some issues and Palm killed it in less than a year. I understood it - wasn't happy about it but no other carrier picked it up.

The Pro has numerous carriers so I thought it would be safe....

Nope - it is effectively dead in less than a year as well.

I will be moving over to the Hero as will my wife. We both wanted the Pre but after them killing two phones on me I have no confidence that they will fully support the Pre for the long haul and as it stands it NEEDS support.

Note I am not saying they will abandon WebOS but the hardware will probably get dumped and thus any updates for it.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
  14. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    We both wanted the Pre but after them killing two phones on me I have no confidence that they will fully support the Pre for the long haul and as it stands it NEEDS support.
    I think this is what they are trying to say with that statement, I could be wrong though.
    True that is what they are saying but they released in my opinion a very rough product with numerous issues and the last two phones they have released they let die with little issue or concern for their customer base. Why should they do anything different here. They release a new phone and are done with it.

And because of that they have lost two up to this point loyal customers - My wife has been a palm user for a long while as well.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    It's a shame Palm is stopping WM devices.
    My first WM device is the Treo Pro. I have always used PalmOS in the past but was tired of Garnet. WinMob is very configurable. I am suprised on how much it has matured since my first trial of WinCE.

I have posted this in other places and felt this was also a good explaination of why WinMob will continue to be one of my OS's of choice for a mobile phone. I am peeking at Android but seems a tad bit slower than WinMob not sure but my next phone will be MinMob or Android not WebOS.

Palm Needs to come clean about the location and application tracking and allow users to opt out. Palm has a patent on file for use of the tech to SPAM you as you are walking around in your daily life. Just imagine driving down the road and every coffee shop or fast food place you pass that has signed up for Palm's advertising SPAM campaign will send you a message whether you want it or not. I will put WebOS phone at the bottom of my list until this is done.

OrionNE
    Last edited by OrionNE; 09/23/2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typo
    I don't think Web OS has not reached its potential yet. I think WM is better at this point. Palm OS is past its point, hence it is retired.

However, (little OT) with Nokia interested in Palm, I would not stay with Palm I will choose another WM device instead.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    No offense to Sprint, but I don't understand how Palm can be seriously competing with iPhone by making it an exclusive on the smallest of the 4 large providers & on a technology that has a limited world market. Ofcourse that doesn't mean that the partnership doesn't strengthen Palm's postion & I sincerely hope it is a success

Which reminds me, has anyone heard any concrete plans for a GSM Web OS? There have been some talk about a GSM Pixi being listed in the upcoming devices on A&T.
    Actually, Sprint is the 3rd largest carrier in the US. They are a small company and low on cash. They have to start off small, work out the bugs and then grow from there. Iphone is not the only competitor nor is it the main focus. Palm has to compete with Android OS, WM, blackberry, Maemo5. It has to offer something that will draw customers away from these platforms. Even Android did take off so fast when it came it. It took a year for it to really get a lot of traction.

Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    This and Palm cannot survive as a Company releasing 1-2 devices per year. RIM/Blackberry has committed to 16 releases in 2010 (trackpad is coming for those who hate trackball) and HTC possibly even more new releases.

The Pre and Pixi with an incomplete new WebOS is nowhere near a homerun imo. Don't know why Palm is still getting funding from investors and don't know why people are buying Palm stock.

Palm made the transition to Windows Mobile smooth for most of us years ago. Its sad to see them abandon us. Like mentioned from many other members I also won't be purchasing another Palm device in the future.
    RIMM is far larger than Palm, but you are wrong. Palm can survive as a company releasing 1-2 devices a year. It is a small company, so it doesn't need as much as RIMM. Apple release one phone a year and generate quite a bit of money doing so. Palm is just starting off with a new operating system. Did Android release 10 devices when it first came out? No. A year had to past for it to mature.

As far as GSM phone, there will be one this year. They are releasing one to O2, which uses GSM. So that will be between October and November. Patience. Rome wasn't built in a day

I don't think Web OS has not reached its potential yet. I think WM is better at this point. Palm OS is past its point, hence it is retired.

However, (little OT) with Nokia interested in Palm, I would not stay with Palm I will choose another WM device instead.
    WM was nice on the Pro, but every carrier is changing. Even WM is changing its look and interface. WebOs is still young, but has a lot of potential. Some things it does better than other OSes, somethings it does worst. Its only been out 3 months where as WM has been out for years. Give it some time to mature.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    My Treo Pro is my last Palm device. I have moved from the 650 to the 700wx to the Centro to the 800w and now to the Treo Pro

I moved from the 800w as it had some issues and Palm killed it in less than a year. I understood it - wasn't happy about it but no other carrier picked it up.

The Pro has numerous carriers so I thought it would be safe....

Nope - it is effectively dead in less than a year as well.

I will be moving over to the Hero as will my wife. We both wanted the Pre but after them killing two phones on me I have no confidence that they will fully support the Pre for the long haul and as it stands it NEEDS support.

Note I am not saying they will abandon WebOS but the hardware will probably get dumped and thus any updates for it.
    This statement is not a logical statement. "We both wanted the Pre but after them killing two phones on me I have no confidence that they will fully support the Pre for the long haul and as it stands it NEEDS support"
    Be for real. This is Palm's future. Palm stated that they will not make any more WM phones. Their future phones will be WebOS. How can you say they will not support the Pre in the long haul?

Also, if I'm not mistaking, there is still a support page for both the Treo800w and the Treo Pro. How is this cutting support?

Cutting support and not making any more WM devices are not the same thing.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post

I guess HTC could fill the void if they wanted to; however, they are all giddy with TouchFLO/Sense, which is less appealing for them on 320x320 (obviously, some people like is). I think HTC could do a candybar qwerty with a 320x480, if they really wanted to. But I think us "niche" Treo users will be out in the cold.
    I think actually samsung is trying to fill the treo void.

they got a handfull of treolike form facotrs with WM on them. (both with WM Pro touchsceen and WM standard sans touchscreen for whatever people prefer)

if they could just get the little palm tweaks right they'd be perfect devices. I've got a saga now (its sort of like an 800w but a world phone and instead of a 5way it uses an optical mouse) and everytime it pocketdials (becasue WM doesn't have a stinking workable keygaurd) and there's no palm tweak - i want to throw it out the window.
    Last edited by efudd; 09/23/2009 at 01:48 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast