Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    They thought the Cliq was cool but underpowered and a busy home screen. One of the guys predicted that it would not be a hit.
    The cliq is not gonna be a hit. First its on Teen mobile second its has to compete with the g1, mytouch and sidekicks.
    So the only thing they said about 1.2 was soon?
    I like the design of the Cliq. Too bad you say it's underpowered... I didnt look at all the specs but some looked interesting including 5mp camera and wifi and such and thought it would be along the lines of other Android phones. Might be busy to some but the concept of MotoBlur will attract attention to those people that do the Twittering and other stuff... for them that's a smartphone.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Ya, I don't really see a website like precentral or some of the iphone/android sites being built around the CLIQ(or the Pixi, for that matter), so without hte commmunity base there it is just going to be Yet Another Phone.
    True... I guess it will be more of what I call a niche phone like the LG Dare, Prada and Prada2 and probably targeted at them. But they really don't need fanboy sites out of the gate to sell these Cliqs if they are popular and they may start at T-mobile but they usually spread out to other carriers soon after and also worldwide.

Might very well be Yet Another Phone but those are people that Apple or Palm didnt get and want while they quietly sell millions of these Dares.

Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Ya, I don't really see a website like precentral or some of the iphone/android sites being built around the CLIQ(or the Pixi, for that matter), so without hte commmunity base there it is just going to be Yet Another Phone.
  7.    #87  
    To be more accurate, they said the Cliq is very reponsive - they said the Android phones as a group are underpowered.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    All 3 of you?
    LMAO!!! that made me laugh
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    I can't believe they were bashing nokia and nokia is the feaking sponsor what a shame.
    I think that would be a disservice if Engadget patronized Nokia since they are a sponsor.
  10.    #90  
    It's not even the 3 of us - I am writing all this from my bb Curve. All of the Pres I had were hardware challenged. And the bb Tour - had had a whacked keybiard and a bad trackball. So I didn't raise my hand either - was updating y'all the whole time on my Curve. What I really wanted Jon to say was that he heard us about the hardware issues and they were coming out with something rock solid.
  11.    #91  
    Also the person who said "soon" was the Engadget guy. Jon didn't say ***** about 1.2.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wmp.dll View Post
    I think that would be a disservice if Engadget patronized Nokia since they are a sponsor.
    Engadget put up two posts about hte Pixi, and people accused them of bending over backwards for Rubenstein. I guess they felt they had to insult Nokia so that they don't look like kissasses.

On the other hand, I just don't think the resistive touchscreen thing is a big deal, especially when you consider that the N900 has by far the nicest screen of any smartphone out there today.
  13.    #93  
    How can you call a touchscreen nice if it does not respond to touches ;-) seriously they demoed it and it was VERY unresponsive. This deserves an F IMO. Touchscreens should only require a light touch - not a heavy handed mash. I think Palm did a very good job with the Pre's screen btw.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    Engadget put up two posts about hte Pixi, and people accused them of bending over backwards for Rubenstein. I guess they felt they had to insult Nokia so that they don't look like kissasses.
    I think places like Engadget/BGR/Gizmodo will always have accusations of favoritism. I don't think they would bash Nokia on purpose at a Nokia sponsored event. Then again, I have never been a Nokia/Symbian fan.
  15.    #95  
    I think they were calling a spade a spade. If a screen does not work, you can't say it's good, can you?
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    On the other hand, I just don't think the resistive touchscreen thing is a big deal, especially when you consider that the N900 has by far the nicest screen of any smartphone out there today.
    Resistive touchscreens are OK for registering taps, but it sucks to have to apply ANY pressure when swiping, IMO. My wife has a Touch Pro, and kinetic scrolling is very hit-or-miss.

Plus, there's no multitouch with resistive screens. Not the biggest deal, but it's nice to have.
    I like Engadget, I listen to their podcasts and the same attitudes surface there too. Josh especially rips on resistive screens.

If anything they sound more exasperated with Nokia then bashing it. And I gotta say that I myself don't understand what Nokia is doing nowadays.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    You cant have a capacitivie touch screen that is also 800x480, not unless you just scale everything up, thereby eliminating the advantage in the first place .The N900 is designed with a high-res screen to render pages hte way a desktop does, and allows you to precisely click links with a stylus. I prefer the Pre, but it is wrong to attack Nokia for doing a different implementation.
  19.    #99  
    Drizek, I don't think anyone knocks Nokia for trying something "new"with this screen, the issue is that it *doesn't work well.*
    A resistive screen can still be multi-touch. It's essentially a thin metal pad under the screen that dents and conforms to your fingers wherever they land. If the phone is programmed for it they can be multi-touch.

Engadget bashes EVERYTHING with a resistive screen.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast