1.    #1  
    yesterday(sept,10) i went to the sprint store and picked up my new palm pre(replacement), b/c the other was messed up (it had manuc warranty). When i logged in my profile(it started syncing), once it finished syncing, I realized I did not have any contacts in my cell phone. I called customer service, and they told me that wireless backup dont work anymore in the cell phone (since last week). I lost all my contacts , they said next time I had to save it under some other account. Just few minutes ago, I added a google account, It was syncing, and it also didnt work..... I looked on line cuz i thought maybe i did something wrong. In the palm.com forum I read that they had the same issue.
    I guess palm stopped syncing with google......... wtf!!!
    I don't know if you fixed your probelm, but to get your contacts again, you need to open up your contacts app. Open up preferences & accounts. You may have multiple accounts for syncing, so click on both of them, and enter your passwords for your accounts. Once you have done all of that, click on the sync now button. It may take it a couple of moments but your contacts will start to repopulate after that all. That's what i've had to do multiple times now. At first I thought the same thing was happening to me, but found this out and it worked.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Your message is a little confusing, but let's be clear about what's supposed to happen:

You're supposed to have all of your contacts somewhere else, such as Google or Facebook. When you add a contact on the phone, it's supposed to go to whatever is your default.

Unless there's been a problem recently, I can say from experience that all my contacts are either in Google or Facebook. I just added a test contact and did "Sync Now" and it appears in Google, no problem. Stuff I added earlier in the week magically went to Google, even though I didn't "Sync Now" when the automated sync occurred.

I've never tried relying on "Palm Profile" to save my contacts, however.

Wireless backup does not save your contacts because they are presumed to be elsewhere (Google, Facebook, Exchange, etc.). So, even if Palm's wireless backup systenm was down, this would have little to do with this problem.
    Holy crap this same issue just happened to me too!! i lost all my contacts and was basically told since i didnt have a gmail account or anything like that that there isnt anything they can do. So now i tried adding a gmail account and hopefully that works but now i have that as a default account and none of my contacts have loaded in there yet i hit sync now too!
    What about contacts that are just numbers? I have a TON of people's numbers without email addresses; they're certainly not in my Gmail or Ymail address books.

Are you guys really saying they only exist on my phone itself? What's the point of the Palm profile over a SIM card if it doesn't actually back up your contacts (instead of just pointing to Gmail)?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar717 View Post
    What about contacts that are just numbers? I have a TON of people's numbers without email addresses; they're certainly not in my Gmail or Ymail address books.

Are you guys really saying they only exist on my phone itself? What's the point of the Palm profile over a SIM card if it doesn't actually back up your contacts (instead of just pointing to Gmail)?
    You can put items in your gmail contacts without an email address.

That's cloud... Everything is stored elsewhere.
    I don't know if this helps but all of the refurbished phones I have gotten lost my contacts as well. That is, until I updated to the most current webOS version. Most of the phones were on 1.0.2 when I got them. Did everyone try and update to 1.1 then do a full erase and see if that helps? It worked for me just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    You can put items in your gmail contacts without an email address.

That's cloud... Everything is stored elsewhere.
    Ok I'll rephrase. I have a ton of numbers with no corresponding email addresses. I don't email them, they aren't in my Gmail contacts, and I have no interest in flooding my Gmail contacts list with them.

My phone is a day old and has the oreo effect, so I'd like to swap it out but not lose half or 2/3 of my contacts. Backup in the "cloud" says to me Palm would have a copy on their servers, not simply point to a location they were already saved to (which might not exist, like in this case).
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar717 View Post
    Ok I'll rephrase. I have a ton of numbers with no corresponding email addresses. I don't email them, they aren't in my Gmail contacts, and I have no interest in flooding my Gmail contacts list with them.

My phone is a day old and has the oreo effect, so I'd like to swap it out but not lose half or 2/3 of my contacts. Backup in the "cloud" says to me Palm would have a copy on their servers, not simply point to a location they were already saved to (which might not exist, like in this case).
    The problem is that storing all of your contact information is not part of the Palm Profile part of the cloud.

Part of the downside (or upside, depending on how you look at it) of "cloud" is that you aren't supposed to care where something goes. If Palm say that contact information goes to Gmail/Exchange/etc., then that's where you're supposed to let it go.

Since you just got the device, I'd suggest returning it and changing to a different phone that doesn't rely on this approach. A Treo, for example, synced to Palm Desktop. Or use BackupBuddy. Or another phone and something like BitPim.

How did this ton of phone numbers get in your Pre? Did you really enter a "ton" by hand in the one day you have the phone?

Oh, and if it seems like I'm trying to argue with you, I'm not. It's just that I've had my Pre since the week it was released (that's what, 4 months give-or-take) and have learned how it works. Or doesn't work.

If you don't like the fact that your Google contacts are going to get filled with e-mail-less phone numbers, you're really going to hate how everyone you e-mail using Google will magically appear as a Pre contact. Really, do I need optout@some-advertiser.com in my Pre's contact list?
    Wow that's crap. I had been putting phone numbers in my phone because I assumed this was backed up by Palm Profile. I don't have a google account.

This definitely needs to be more clear, because this is the first time I heard that contacts aren't backed up and the way all the Palm Profile marketing is worded it makes it sound like contacts are backed up (or at least gives absolutely no reason to think it wouldn't be).

The worst part of this is that there is no way to quickly figure out what numbers I entered by hand now. Some people had facebook accounts without numbers that I added in by hand, some accounts I added manually.

lame...

*edit*
    Looking at my phone now it has "Palm Profile" listed as my default account. How does that NOT imply that my phone numbers will be backed up via the palm profile backup?

*edit2*
    After hooking my pre into a google account there does not seem to be an automatic way to move a contact from the palm profile to the google account, and the only way to do this is to re-enter all your palm profile contacts by hand. Very ****ty.
    Last edited by KallDrexx; 09/14/2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    Wow that's crap. I had been putting phone numbers in my phone because I assumed this was backed up by Palm Profile. I don't have a google account.

This definitely needs to be more clear, because this is the first time I heard that contacts aren't backed up and the way all the Palm Profile marketing is worded it makes it sound like contacts are backed up (or at least gives absolutely no reason to think it wouldn't be).

The worst part of this is that there is no way to quickly figure out what numbers I entered by hand now. Some people had facebook accounts without numbers that I added in by hand, some accounts I added manually.

lame...

*edit*
    Looking at my phone now it has "Palm Profile" listed as my default account. How does that NOT imply that my phone numbers will be backed up via the palm profile backup?

*edit2*
    After hooking my pre into a google account there does not seem to be an automatic way to move a contact from the palm profile to the google account, and the only way to do this is to re-enter all your palm profile contacts by hand. Very ****ty.
    Agree. And I also want to admit a mistake that I made.

According to the user's guide, "Your phone backs up the contacts, calendar events, and tasks that are in your Palm profile account, as well as system settings and applications you downloaded to your phone."

So, I was wrong. If it's in the Palm Profile, it's SUPPOSED to backup.

To be specific (Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Using Backup

"[Backed Up:] Contacts saved to your Palm profile account on the phone. Account credentials (usernames and passwords) for accounts that synchronize contacts online, for example, Google. Contacts preferences, for example, sort order, default account, etc."

"[Not Backed Up:] Contacts stored in online accounts. Linking relationships between contacts. Original contact photos added from a local image on the phone. Password for Facebook accounts. If Facebook was set up, you’ll have to re-enter your password when the account is restored. Contact speed dials."

So, while I was totally wrong about it not backing up Palm Profile contacts, it is still important to note that there are things that it won't backup.
    No argument here either squeff. I'm familiar with how cloud tech works, and the not caring where it goes part is what turns me off about it. I think it's great for non-essential stuff but can't stand reading articles from the cloud fetishists who think commoditized computing and moving everything to the "cloud" are the way to go.

I'm an AT&T transport, so all my contacts were on my phone. I also had them on an old SIM card and saved via Motorola's clunky phone tools software. My SIM could be pulled from my phone if it died, and even if I lost it I'd have the backup on my PC.

When I read about the Palm profile, I interpreted it as saving your merged contacts. So when you pull in Joe Smith's email from your Gmail account and his number from your phone contacts, Synergy would combine them and save that combined contact on a Palm server somewhere.

Having the contacts only exist locally and the "backup" just pointing to where you originally got the imports is not nearly as powerful and I can't believe the guys who made the Pre so intuitive would've stopped short of what I described in the last paragraph.
    ^ Just posted at the same time you were so I just read your last one. It sounds to me like it does what I described in my post, which makes a ton more sense...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Does Palm profile back up the contacts that were moved into my pre by sprint when I got the phone?? All the contacts that I have added by hand are backing up in my google account, but I do not see any of the contacts that were ported over by sprint...
    I just went to the Sprint store about an hour ago because my slider was really loose.

Squeff was right in his last post; ALL contacts seem to have backed up fine, including the ones that existed solely on my old phone. It took a couple minutes but the Pre pulled in my 4 email accounts, Gchat, AIM (terrible idea; now removed), my app store apps, and the contacts from my AT&T phone.

It did not back up media (duh), secured Wi-Fi settings, or the order I had my apps arranged in.
    I am having a similar problem. I replaced my palm Pre with a new one yesterday at the local Radio Shack store. When I signed in using my Palm Pre profile on the new phone, my contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos did not transfer. The only thing that transferred was 4 applications.

I talked to Sprint for 45 minutes did several re-sets and new sign ins but they couldn't fix it so they told me to call Palm. I talked to Palm for 30 minutes and she had me one partial reset on the phone and sign in again but it still didn't work.

Palm is supposed to be calling me back (an advanced technician).

Any suggestions?