View Poll Results: Would you switch to an Iphone on Sprint?

Voters
290. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 24.48%
  • No

191 65.86%
  • Maybe if I had a discount

28 9.66%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If Sprint announced today that it would be selling the Iphone for $199, how many current Sprint customers would be standing in line to get the Iphone?

Are you one of them, or are you a loyal "anti-Apple" person and why?
    whoa good question, I think I'm gonna stick with the PRE, I'm not totally "anti-Apple", I like what they have going for them and hopefully Palm and Sprint can pull it off soon... I like the new any mobile anytime thing... hopefully Palm can bring the Pre up to speed soon...
    im not going to lie, i love allt of things about the iphone. screen size and memory are the two biggest but absolutely cannont stand att service. it would be tough now as im falling more and more in love with mu pre but if it happened before i ever got the pre then definetlt yes
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    im not going to lie, i love allt of things about the iphone. screen size and memory are the two biggest but absolutely cannont stand att service. it would be tough now as im falling more and more in love with mu pre but if it happened before i ever got the pre then definetlt yes
    Yeah, I'm kinda with Franky. I almost made the switch to AT&T back in Feb. I was debating between two instincts for me and the wife or two Iphones.

It was the switch to AT&T that made me decide to stay with Sprint.

I really do like the Iphone and Like you Neva, I would have gone with it if I didn't have my cool little Pre. I just hope Palm and Sprint support it better then they did the Instinct.
    Why would I? The iPhone can't do the things I need my Pre for.
    I'm not anti-apple, but for my needs the iPhone is no better than the Pre. The both are very weak business devices, with poor calendar apps. The one advantage of the iPhone, it's far more mature software (both the OS and the available apps) is offset by the lack of a physical keyboard and lack of multitasking. The advantages of the Pre (keyboard and multitasking), are offset by the amazing lack of refinement, features, and customizability, and the lack of business class applications. And, to some extent, by the cramped keyboard.

Neither phone for me, yet.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I'll admit that I'm anti-Apple. Apple seems to have a stranglehold on the market, and that irritates me. They don't want anyone homebrewing apps for their devices, and they make it known. Their app store is incredibly restrictive. I've always supported the underdog as I believe that competition brings about innovation. Once a company starts to have a monopoly on something, they will stagnate as there is no reason to improve.

I personally love how everyone keeps bringing up how the Pre is missing this feature or that feature and how the iPhone has it. Yes, the iPhone does have a bunch of features the Pre doesn't have, but not at this stage they didn't. The Pre has been out for about 3 months now and is way ahead in features as to what the iPhone had at release. I use my Pre for business and I am very happy with what it is capable of.
    Not anti-Apple at all. I bought an iPhone3G on launch day last summer and loved it for 9 months. But after a while, I started to feel what I'd felt in my few months with the Sidekick in 2006 -- boxed in. Apple makes you use iTunes to sync the thing. It doesn't let you have access to the file system, so you can't save non-image files to the device through Safari. No multi-tasking. No way to change the (by now, VERY stale, IMO) look of the UI. No categorizing of apps. Annoying notification pop-ups.

I wouldn't leave the Pre for the iPhone (in its current state) even if it was free. It's a wonderful device in a lot of ways, but closing Pandora to answer a text message? Closing an IM session to respond to an email? Please. Get with the times, Apple. Multi-tasking is where it's at.

BTW, I still have an iPod Touch, and at least once every time I use it, I try to use the non-existent gesture area. The Pre has got me hooked.
    I'm not anti Apple at all in fact I have a Mac book that I love. I know it is hard for some of the new folks around here to understand but the iphone is not the be all and end all for many of us. It has nothing to do with the cost or with ATT.

I am lucky enough to able to afford any phone on any network that I desire. For me the iphone is the completely wrong form factor. Not having a keyboard is also a big deal to me. I have a iTouch that drives me crazy any time I have to input even the smallest amount of text. No multi-tasking is also a killer for me. I could go on and on about how the iphone would not work for me.

If there was no such thing as a Palm Pre my next choice would probably be a Treo Pro, Treo 755 or a Black berry and my last choice in smart phones would be a iphone.
    Last edited by rc46; 09/10/2009 at 08:38 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    After playing around with an iPod Touch, it would drive me crazy to use an iPhone. Navigating around with gestures is 2x as fast. Anyone who says multitasking is nothing is dreaming. The only apps that start up fast on the iPod/iPhone are the native ones or ridiculously small programs. They may start up slightly faster than an app on a Pre, but never faster than a running app on a Pre.

I was browsing on the iPod and clicked to open a stream. I was listening and decided to browse the web too. Wait, no way to do that. Went back to the Pre and got some real work done.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    This is a discussion that two 15 year old kids would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewhughes86 View Post
    This is a discussion that two 15 year old kids would have.
    Feel free to **** out.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I'd switch. But then again i've been playing with the idea of a Itouch lately but it just would make it easier if I could get the phone without switching carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Feel free to **** out.
    Just sayin
    ^ I dunno. It's become very passe to even speak the word "iPhone" in a smartphone discussion, but since the Pre and iPhone are each targeting roughly the same segment, conversations like this can be enlightening.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I would have stick with the Pre cause multitasking is a huge deal to me and the Pre just does it better than anyone else right now. The physical keyboard is also a must for me; with a little more maturity the Pre will get the OS/Software part in line and I think it has the potential to be the better device, at least to me.
    Multi-tasking is too much to leave. Physical keyboard and Flash strengthen my stance with Palm.
    I would still stick with the Pre, as I love everything about it. Multitasking, gestures, homebrew apps for free, and I prefer a physical keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMSD View Post

I personally love how everyone keeps bringing up how the Pre is missing this feature or that feature and how the iPhone has it. Yes, the iPhone does have a bunch of features the Pre doesn't have, but not at this stage they didn't. The Pre has been out for about 3 months now and is way ahead in features as to what the iPhone had at release. I use my Pre for business and I am very happy with what it is capable of.
    I'm sorry, but this argument is tired, stale, and ridiculous.

If I'm shopping for a phone I'm not comparing the Pre with 2 year old iPhones. I'm comparing it to the other phones that are available today. And they pretty much all blow the Pre away in terms of features, customizability, speed, and software availability. Yes, the Pre multitasks. Unfortunately, there isn't much for it to multitask with, so far.

If I'm buying a SmartPhone today, I need it to support my needs today, not give me the promise of meeting my needs next year, or the year after that. I don't buy a smartphone as a toy, to play with in my spare time. I buy one as a tool, to help manage my life. And right now the Pre falls woefully short in that regard.

I understand the Palm had little choice but the release the Pre when they did. Waiting much longer would have left them dead, by the side of the road. And I understand that developing a new OS and infrastructure to support it is difficult (more difficult than Palm estimated, it appears) and takes time. But neither of those things is my problem. And neither of those things changes the fact that the Pre simply isn't a very capable smartphone, yet. It's got HUGE potential, but for now that's all it is.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I am an avid anti-apple person, only because I am a technical manager and have had to work with many apple based systems. I like the progress over the past years with their equipement, and was stoked to hear their computer systems now have unix based kernels in them. LC III and the original iMac's where POS's IMHO. But being all that, a computer that is really simple to use doesn't quantify devices that cost so dang much. I understand a computer is not "cheap" but also don't feel that I should by a computer that is simply user friendly needs to cost 1200 dollars or more.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast