Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I follow this quite closely and the last couple of times I have posted updates the price has been steadily climbing. Well over the last two weeks (and especially today) it took more than a climb and literally leaped into the sky. It's almost at $15 (it's highest was $16.5). Is this because of some momentus news (doubtful) or because the price of the PRE was dropped?

I find this especially encouraging as most of the analyst's reports are negative (but they are obviously motivated by other factors rather than logic).

Palm Inc (PALM) - Stock chart, Index chart - MSN Money
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    I own some shares in Palm so this is great news!!!

On a similar note, for those that claim to be true Palm supporters, go out there an buy a few shares.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Good point DesertSilver. Here is another theory perhaps the news from Palm's big financial report on the 17th is better than believed? or the pessimistic in me says that the Price is being hiked before the disappointing sales figures come out on the 17th.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The market does not follow the rule of logic any longer.

The drivers are fear, greed, doubt, speculation, whimsy, folly, retardedness, and OMGWTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by DogEars View Post
    The market does not follow the rule of logic any longer.

The drivers are fear, greed, doubt, speculation, whimsy, folly, retardedness, and OMGWTF.
    +1
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Palm's financials are probably about done. the human collective might know the results are good and the stock price reflects that. or a bunch of people are about to lose money. we'll see.
    Let's see, Eos/Pixie announcement, Verizon Pre next year and O2 in Europe next year, China late next year, Price cuts.....I saw the stock will continue a steady rise and will hit it's target price of $25
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    PALM

NASDAQ

Maybe the resemblance explains it a little.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    PALM

NASDAQ

Maybe the resemblance explains it a little.
    Not really. PALM often trades counter to the market. This rally in PALM began several days ago when the market as a whole was way down. PALM always seems to bottom around 12.50/share, which it did again and then moves back up. Variety of forces at work including the upcoming earnings announcement, the rumors of additional Palm WebOS phones debuting and the fact that smart phones are considered THE sweet spot of high growth tech, the darling trade of the year. Moreover, PALM has had a huge number of shorters for months now that always seem to cover, like I said, at 12.50.

However, when the market and PALM are in sync, the shorts really get pressured. Somebody knows something though. I saw a big option play in PALM last week where that someone bought a huge amount of calls at two different prices. I don't play options, but there was a technical word for the type of spread this trader was creating, but all based on PALM moving up.

No matter what they say about insider trading, it still happens...a lot.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Not really. PALM often trades counter to the market. This rally in PALM began several days ago when the market as a whole was way down. PALM always seems to bottom around 12.50/share, which it did again and then moves back up. Variety of forces at work including the upcoming earnings announcement, the rumors of additional Palm WebOS phones debuting and the fact that smart phones are considered THE sweet spot of high growth tech, the darling trade of the year. Moreover, PALM has had a huge number of shorters for months now that always seem to cover, like I said, at 12.50.

However, when the market and PALM are in sync, the shorts really get pressured. Somebody knows something though. I saw a big option play in PALM last week where that someone bought a huge amount of calls at two different prices. I don't play options, but there was a technical word for the type of spread this trader was creating, but all based on PALM moving up.

No matter what they say about insider trading, it still happens...a lot.
    Sounds like someone knew about the Pixi and price drop announcements before everyone else.
    The general attitude of investors towards a company drives a stock up or down. Palm wasn't looking to hot a few months ago, but they appear to be getting things in order now. Rumors of the pixie and other possible phones, along with the general success of webos have given palm a favorable name in the news and with the public. I agree with the statements about how the market is driven....it is mostly opinion and speculation... A company must continue to enhance their current products or services in order to keep their share price on the rise, and palm is showing investors that they are doing this.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hey Friends,

I saw another ANDROID commercial last night and I have to say that it makes me want to get one, just so I can break down walls and communicate with the supernatural.

Why in the world does that phone make me want it so bad? MARKETING!

I work in advertising and I am embaressed to associate myself with a phone that is marketed for FREAKS. The ball was dropped in a big way as soon as Sprint started with all the creepy ads.

The stock is garbage, sales suck, and and there is no WOW factor in a single ad that you see for the Pre.

Ok, it multi-tasks...sweet. But if I was writing an ad for this phone, I would talk about everything the iPhone CANT DO...oh wait, Android just did that and it was VERY impactful.

Palm, Sprint, and whoever creates these ads...GROW UP. Come up with a message that makes people want this thing!!! Dont creep me out with pale women and dancing men.

I love the Pre, so dont get me wrong, I just hate people asking me what the Pre is, and then immediately saying "have you seen that new Android?"

The ******* thing is not even out yet and everybody in the country act like they all own one. THAT IS SOME POWERFUL MARKETING.

Good luck Palm, you are going to need it.

JB
    Apparently, you're the target demographic for an Android phone, not the Palm Pre.

As a disclaimer, I like the Palm Pre commercials.
    I agree, good ads are so easy to make. They are simple, get to the point, and make the item look shiny. The Droid ads are stunning to be honest, well I dont like the one that says get a robot phone but yeah, Droid Does.

The Pre is such an amazing phone that Palm, Sprint and Bell have all dropped the ball heavily in the advertising department, they need the ads are they are competing against entrenched opponents as it is. When I do see a pre ad its odd, and to be honest I've seen very few at all for the pre.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katsnuts View Post
    Palm, Sprint, and whoever creates these ads...GROW UP.
    Oh yeah, the iDon't ads are so mature. Just like the cool guy in the mac ads making fun the fat dorky Windows user. So mature.
    Last edited by bruba; 11/09/2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsnuts View Post

I love the Pre, so dont get me wrong, I just hate people asking me what the Pre is, and then immediately saying "have you seen that new Android?"

JB
    actually this EXACT thing happened to me the other day. I was catching up with a friend who i havent seen in a few month, and last time we hung out i did have my pre. well i got a text message so i took it out and my friends like "hey what phone is that?" to which i answered "the palm pre from sprint. came out a few months ago" to which he replied "i see. Have u see the commercials to that new droid phone? look pretty sweet!!"

absolutely no knowledge or interest in this phone at all. kinda sad. i have NO idea why palm decided to go with creepy lady as their advertising. no idea at all. who IS their target market? iphone - ppl who want apps, blackberry - people who want to do many things, droid - well ppl who want a phone that does stuff that the iphone doesnt do. palm pre - ???
    link to commercials???
    Oh yeah, the iDon't ads are so mature. Just like the cool guy in the mac ads making fun the fat dorky Windows user. So mature.
    who cares if its immature.....they are still selling products. immature advertising is still better than complete **** advertising
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Some of the droid ads may be over the top and immature, but at least they don't creep you out with an albino, ghost of a woman. I love my Pre and am not planning on switching any time soon, but the commercials are really kind of embarrassing.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Just like the cool guy in the mac ads making fun the fat dorky Windows user. So mature.

But funny as hell!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast