1.    #1  
    Recently I read an article about how iPhone users were overloading the AT&T network. Apparently the average iPhone user uses ten times the data of a "normal" smartphone user. This is severely overloading the AT&T network in places where iPhones are especially popular. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/te...hone&st=Search

And there are followups all over the tech news media that you can find by searching on Google News.

As it happens, I went to the Sprint website this afternoon to take care of some stuff on my bill, and remembered that they have a tool that lets you analyze your usage of different aspects of your data plan. I went in and looked at my data usage. I found that for the last ten months of Treo 755p use, I used about 250,000 kBytes/month on average. In my two months of Pre use, I've used about 1,750,000 kBytes/month average. The numbers were similar in both months, so so far there is no indication that this is short-term because of my new toy (slight drop in second month). So my data usage has gone up seven times! And I already considered myself a fairly heavy data user, I spend an unhealthy amount of time using the internet on my phone! I had no idea that my usage would increase so much.

I'd love to see a breakdown of where the increase is. I suspect it is Pandora, though I'm not that heavy a Pandora user, I suspect I use about an hour per day on average. I don't think my internet surfing has increased that much, though perhaps I did less on my Treo than I now think.

I now have a little more sympathy for Sprint and the jump in my bill that occurred when I had to go to "Simply Everything" to get the Pre! I suspect Sprint actually lost out on the deal, thanks to my voracious data usage!

To view the plan usage analysis, go to "my sprint" (first page after you sign into your account), select "are you on the best plan?" from lower right side of the screen, the choose "want to see your usage history?". You can select things like cost, messages, anytime minutes, etc. at the top of the graph. Click "show months" below the graphics to show information for the last twelve months and see changes over time.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

Yes but data is lots chaper than voice and I've heard that text is very cheap so not sure of the need to feel bad for Sprint.
    AT&T's network sucked from day one of iPhone launch. They didn't even have 3G and have been trying to catch up. In contrast Sprint already had a fine EvDO network in place.

AT&T is a behemoth built on top aquisitions with a mishmash of networks that are hard to integrate and advance quickly.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Why feel sorry for Sprint or AT&T? They released a network heavy device without considering the impact on their networks. Why should you, me or anyone pay for their logistical mistake when they sell unlimited data plans?
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    AT&T's network sucked from day one of iPhone launch. They didn't even have 3G and have been trying to catch up. In contrast Sprint already had a fine EvDO network in place.

AT&T is a behemoth built on top aquisitions with a mishmash of networks that are hard to integrate and advance quickly.
    The precise problem AT&T has is the mismash of billing system associated with the merger/acquisitions. The radio/network hardware independent of billing isn't that much of a problem in terms of innerop.

But yes, AT&T having number of different systems has been an expensive problem for them. It was one of the reasons the FCC investigated them over number portability back in 2004.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    i'm a serious data hog... i'll freely admit that. but, at the same time, i also use next to zero minutes. every month i look at my bill and i use like 100 or 200 minutes max. if i could get a plan that's data-only i would

right now i'm on a family plan though... 5 people sharing 1500 minutes. everyone else on the plan can use my minutes since i don't.
  7.    #7  
    Yep, Sprint makes out big time on me as far as my anytime minutes. I signed up for the plan with fewest minutes, but still haven't used even half my available anytime minutes since switching to the Pre (and had similar low usage for the ten months of data I could view). My gf lives about 100 miles away, has Sprint (a very basic dumb phone!) and we do a lot of Sprint-to-Sprint minutes, though.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

Palm V-->Palm Vx-->Palm m505-->Garmin iQue3600-->Treo 650-->Treo 755p-->Palm Pre

I've used about 600MB with month with just tethering my Pre to my laptop. If I just stick to Pre-only usage, it'll hover around 200MB/month. To be honest, I don't transfer that much data, but i'll pay for the unlimited just to have it in case.
    I try to only feel the same amount of sympathy for corporate entities as they might possibly feel for me.

I have had the simply everything plan for a few years now. I feel it to be reasonable for $100 a month (comparable to competitors) it handles all my voice and wireless data needs with no surprises/overages each month. Very budgetable.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    if we ever get a skype app, i dont think i'll ever use my minutes again
    I probably use wifi for the bulk of my usage on the Pre. I used to steam radio stations over 1xRtt and then EvDO on my treos (at Sprint's expense). Now I stream over wifi to my Verizon DSL account (but I don't feel sorry for Verizon or Sprint). Data has been getting cheaper and cheaper year over year. Sprint used to send me nasty letters saying I needed to get a "Phone as a Modem" plan if I was tethering. I rarely tethered (and never tethered for most months (about 10 every year). They sent the nasty letters based solely on my data usage. I just ignored the letters. Sprint eventually offered buyouts to people who were costing them too much money (mostly due to monopolizing the CSR's time by constantly complaining about issues). Sprint knows when people have crossed the line and are no longer profitable. As long as we don't abuse the system, we don't have to worry about them and they don't have to worry about us.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  12.    #12  
    In discussing this with an Android-using buddy, he pointed out that the automated backup may be using a fair amount of data. I hadn't thought of that. That didn't happen with the Treo, so it may account for some new data usage.
    Mike B in OKlahoma

lol... I'll show a screenshot of my usage... and honestly, it would be higher if I had a bigger battery or car charger. I feel like I don't use it much to begin with. I don't tether my phone either.

BTW I need to refute that directory assistance charge... I don't use that crap. I can look up everything i need on the internet

Now that I think about it.. that data usage would be higher if it weren't for wifi on the phone...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As been said above, I also have been paying for years for a minimum number of minutes I never got close to using. And I still barely use voice, I'm forced to. So no sympathy. And don't get me started on their rebate.

That said, don't think the data is expensive, it's the coverage.