View Poll Results: The longer you wait for the TREO you..

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Want it oh so bad that your stylus hand hurts

21 39.62%
  • Find more and more things wrong as time passes

4 7.55%
  • Think three strikes your out (get it treo..three)

1 1.89%
  • Dont care I'm going to buy or have a Clie

6 11.32%
  • Think culo77 is an ***** and please stop posting in visorcentral

11 20.75%
  • Are just waiting for Palm or Sony to come out with treo look alike?

2 3.77%
  • Like your Cellphone Pda Ir port idea better

1 1.89%
  • Are thinking why did i even stop to read this post

7 13.21%
  1.    #1  
    I was just sitting and pondering the meaning of life in some spare time I had, then i got bored. So I went and pondered the Treo!

When it first was anounced i was drooling on my keyboard. Then when I saw al the video's, keynote by Jeff Birdbuy, and all the reviews, I was then happier than a teenager at a strip club.

**** now all these questions and problems i see with it, the more i wait for its arrival. (BTW I am not going to buy it now). Like posted in a previous post, I has no way of backing up its info.
    1. What am i to do if i have to HARD reset and i am out of town and cant get to my desktop?
    2. 16mb is good **** how much of that 16mb is used up by all the standard app's it has? (and boy it does have a whloe bunch of extra app's).
    3. What are they gonig to do about expansion? It seems that expansion is a main thing even for the common joe market! And was their trademark that luanched them into a huge market share, plus made the compition to EXPAND their products with EXPANSION. (like that play on words?)
    4. So what are the going to do for expansion? Are the going to do the piggy back like the Edge, or a HUGE sled like the Ipac, or just not do anynthing, like not make another color visor.
    5. There are so many things that i dont like about the treo **** they are my ***** reasons and i will stop here
    Hey baby before we start do you mind if we use my M505?
    No not for that!!!!!!!!!!
    Use it to reffer to PalmaSutra, silly???????
    1. What am i to do if i have to HARD reset and i am out of town and cant get to my desktop?

You would lose whatever data has changed between that point and your last backup, which presumably wouldn't be much. This seems like a Devil's advocate contingency than a real issue, like those who criticized the Palm V's non-removable battery with questions like, "What if I go camping and there's no power outlet?"

The fact that Handspring's finally including a synch cable instead of a cradle (about time!) suggests that the professionals who comprise the Treo's core demographic are armed with laptops for the road -- a safe bet, if not correct 100% of the time.

2. 16mb is good **** how much of that 16mb is used up by all the standard app's it has? (and boy it does have a whloe bunch of extra app's).

The core apps are probably burned into ROM, in the classic PalmOS tradition. Any apps on a "goodies" disk can be installed or not at the user's discretion.

3. What are they gonig to do about expansion? It seems that expansion is a main thing even for the common joe market! And was their trademark that luanched them into a huge market share, plus made the compition to EXPAND their products with EXPANSION. (like that play on words?)

Methinks expansion is a cul-de-sac, which arguably compromises the form factor more than it appeals to the common joe market. Exhibit A: The Edge. Contrary to prevailing opinion, I happen to think that the Visor grabbed its market share by its then-cheap $250 price tag, not the Springboard. In either case, the Treo is designed for communication, not expansion.

4. So what are the going to do for expansion? Are the going to do the piggy back like the Edge, or a HUGE sled like the Ipac, or just not do anynthing, like not make another color visor.

Probably nothing, assuming the accent is on communication. The Motorola Talkabout pagers that are all the rage have no expansion capability; they just have email and SMS. But kids who can't even afford a car are shelling out $300 for these units, and $35 for monthly service. No web, no PalmOS apps, no voice -- just flat text messaging. The point is that this market sphere is much, much bigger than computer enthusiasts. For the average cell phone user, 16MB will be enough to tide her over until the next Shiny New Thing comes along, and the average geek will still be frustrated.

One possiblity, if the Treo doesn't do it for you, is to get the new Bluetooth module and a Timeport 270c or similar Bluetooth phone. Then you can still have expansion when you need it.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

You would lose whatever data has changed between that point and your last backup, which presumably wouldn't be much. This seems like a Devil's advocate contingency than a real issue, like those who criticized the Palm V's non-removable battery with questions like, "What if I go camping and there's no power outlet?" [...]
    It seems to me that your Palm example _is_ a real issue, otherwise there would have never been CLAs made or those external charging packs which hook up to the hotsync connector.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Re Gameboy70 #1:

I beg to differ. As I said in another thread, the ability to backup without a desktop is key. Yes I sync to my desktop daily, but only when it's available. It doesn't do me much good if my Palm IIIx with no backup crashes on the third day of a two week trip to Puerto Rico (real experience). Also, call me a luddite, but I don't have a desktop home, so while it may not be catastrophic, it's a real pain if it crashes over a weekend, and I either have to live without my phone book, or make a trip to the office. The existance of a backup module was the single most important reason I bought a Prism; the other Springboards I can take or leave, and have mostly left. When the Palm IIIc first came out, I was intrigued by color, but I ultimately passed. However, when the Prism came out, with both color and a backup module, I was all over it in a NY minute (and I do in fact live in NY).

The lack of replaceable batteries is less important, but still significant. I worried a lot about my batteries on a 20+ hour flight to Asia (I'd also worry if I ever went camping). The battery issue will be even more important when my cell phone and PDA are drawing power from the same source, and if I lose one, I lose both.
    Originally posted by culo77
    Good question. For Palm devices, there is the Northstar Mobile MemorySafe backup module. We could lobby the folks at Northstar Mobile to release a version for the Treo connector. FWIW, PC Magazine likes these units. The 8 MB versions are $40. To be truly useful, though, there should be flash memory to hold their backup app.
    Isn't there an online backup site? With the treo, you could just dial into your ISP (if you knew the number and settings) and restore from the online site.
    BackupBuddy used to let you do that, but no longer, and it never worked reliably, certainly not so as I'd want to have to count on it. And even if it did, 8M would take *days* to download, not to mention the cost for those cell minutes. And it still doesn't help if your someplace else where you're cell phone doesn't work. If my cell phone were also my PDA, I can see taking it with me to Taiwan, or Peru, or wherever, even if I couldn't use the phone.
    As the Treo is GSM you can store key phone numbers on the sim card in case you lose everything. I have heard of a device that lets you backup using Ir, but that would take an incredible amount of time to finish.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    can't you hotsync over the modem?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  10.    #10  
    HOTSYNC OVER THE MODEM??

I forgot about that!!!!!
    but that would take a long time to wouldnt it...and run up my cellphone bill?
    I was playing with both monochrome models last night, and for me, my impression from reading about them was confirmed.

The Treo is much too big for me to use as a cel phone and too small for a PDA.

As with many things in life, something that tries to do many things, often doesn't do any of them well.
    Does anyone really WANT a treo? It's neat and all, but nothing that I lust after.

In fact, when I'm on my cell phone, I am usually using my Visor to take notes. I actually prefer the separate devices.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    I definitely WANT one. I wasn't crazy about it when it was first announced, but since I got my VisorPhone, I realize the inherent value in something like the TREO.

The Treo is the next logical step in mobile communications. It's far from perfect right now, but there's no doubt in my mind it's the best option out there.

I really think Hawkins is right when he says PocketPC and Palm PDAs are headed for a dead-end. People don't want to watch movies on two-inch screens, but they do want to be connected to a world of information and people wherever they go.

And there's an easy way to take notes while talking on the phone: just use the earpiece. The Treo, like a Visor equipped with VisorPhone, will have full access the other apps (except those that require the modem) while the phone is connected.

The only thing I wish is that Hawkins would quit his whole obsession with blue. I mean, it's a better blue than the Prism, but it's still blue.

Yech.

Oh well, maybe I'll paint mine grey.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    The Treo is much too big for me to use as a cel phone and too small for a PDA.
    That's one thing I was worried about. I wouldn't mind the bulkier cell phone size if the screen was bigger. I'm glad the device is out there, and I hope it revitalizes HS. But based on how much I use my PDA, and how little I use my cell phone. $400 is too much for me to pay.

If the next generation allows 90% of the surface area to be used as screen space, I might bite.

Still, its the best of these hybrid devices out there.
    That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you.
  15.    #15  
    First let me say that alot of people VOTED THAT I AM AN ***** AND SHOULD LEAVE. OUCH!!!!
    Sorry to say i am still here and i know im dumb

I think the Treo is The Best and smartest idea coming out!
    I am not getting it! I wouldnt mind having a wider PDA so the screen would be bigger, **** it still needs to be thin as the edge!
    i dont want a smaller screen

**** as most of you Voted who cares what i think?????
    Originally posted by culo77
    First let me say that alot of people VOTED THAT I AM AN ***** AND SHOULD LEAVE. OUCH!!!!

hey, you're the silly wicket who put that in the poll ...
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
  17.    #17  
    I did put it there and didnt think i would end up the second highest people voted!!
    I am so sad and i think i am going to cry