Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. joehp1's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
       #1  
    Your GPS location AND web surfing details are being sent to Palm to "help us enhance your user experience"!



    Palm Pre phone secretly used GPS to report user's location to company | Technology | Los Angeles Times
  2. atlanta's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    #2  
    Know your facts before you post something, searching is your best friend, they don't monitor your web surfing.
    Only
    * Location
    * Which apps you've used and for how long
    * App crash logs
    * Installed apps


    http://www.precentral.net/fyi-pre-re...-location-palm

    And I don't even mind who cares everyone's acting like they are out to get people for running apps and stuff.. keep it moving.
  3. joehp1's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
       #3  
    did not see the previous post.
  4. #4  
    Hello....My name is Yesterday....Have we met?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehoff99 View Post
    Hello....My name is Yesterday....Have we met?
    Groundhog Day.....



    run
  6. #6  
    Yea...what's with all the FUD? Until Palm does something out of line with the data they are "innocent until proven guilty". I think Google, your carrier, your ISP and that Video Professor guy have/do more with your information/data that's damming then what Palm is doing.
    Besides, its spelled-out in their TOS/policy.
  7. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #7  
    who cares, your not that important for palm to care about stalking you
  8. ink883's Avatar
    Posts
    872 Posts
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    #8  
    The problem is that they hold on to the data. You can't control when and if they delete it. Moreover, if you are involved in a legal action (civil or criminal) that data may exposed via a subpoena. It is cheap for a lawyer to issue a subpoena and expensive for you to fight it.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883 View Post
    The problem is that they hold on to the data. You can't control when and if they delete it. Moreover, if you are involved in a legal action (civil or criminal) that data may exposed via a subpoena. It is cheap for a lawyer to issue a subpoena and expensive for you to fight it.
    And you think only Palm has access to this same info? Anything that would be obtained from a subpoena would more than likely be from Sprint, not Palm.

    Also there are about 50 other threads outlining this, search for them.
  10. geogray's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Yea...what's with all the FUD? Until Palm does something out of line with the data they are "innocent until proven guilty". I think Google, your carrier, your ISP and that Video Professor guy have/do more with your information/data that's damming then what Palm is doing.
    Besides, its spelled-out in their TOS/policy.
    Watch what you say about that Video Professor guy. They monitor the 'net and DO go after people. Do Bing search (or google it) and see what I mean.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by geogray View Post
    Watch what you say about that Video Professor guy. They monitor the 'net and DO go after people. Do Bing search (or google it) and see what I mean.
    What a duche...it's common knowledge that the "free" disk is in exchange for your information so they can sell it to a mailing list. (As I understand it).

    Back to the tread topic....

    Has Palm said what they are actually doing with it? I don't think they, themselves, know yet.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    What a duche...it's common knowledge that the "free" disk is in exchange for your information so they can sell it to a mailing list. (As I understand it).

    Back to the tread topic....

    Has Palm said what they are actually doing with it? I don't think they, themselves, know yet.
    watch what you say. I wouln't call anyone a ******. The Forum overlords may ban you like the guy in this thread
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by FA508 View Post
    watch what you say. I wouln't call anyone a ******. The Forum overlords may ban you like the guy in this thread
    My rant is a free speech opinion at someone not connected nor directed at a Precentral member. I'm not worried.

    Again, back to the thread. I'm not worried about Palm's information being collected.
  14. #14  
    hmm, this is so complex.

    if my palm know what app is running on the phone, and even where the phone it at, not a huge issue for me.

    but i can see why ppl would be up in arms if palm also know that it was my specific phone.

    palm share this info with its partners, but does sprint pass on their info to palm?

    palm may know where my phone is currently located, but do they know that it is my phone?

    i havent seen an answer to that.

    an again i dont care, but i see why other would be.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  15. #15  
    Honestly I could care less.
  16. groovy's Avatar
    Posts
    941 Posts
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    #16  
    Felipe, I think that's my biggest gripe. I would most likely be okay with how they're using my information IF I KNEW! This blanket statement that allows them to do almost anything with our data is disconcerting. And, true, it's not just Palm.
  17. #17  
  18. #18  
    You are all aware that cell phone providers also just do this? ALL THE TIME. In fact they can be required to provide this information to the government without informing us.
    It's like everyone forgot the illegal wire tapping done through AT&T, and Verizon.

    There is also a little check box, that allows Google to do this. You have to leave it checked and agree to this for it to work.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  19. #19  
    Been a long discussion about this going on for days in this other thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...y-privacy.html

    I'm happy to be Pre-free, no Pre for me!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Been a long discussion about this going on for days in this other thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...y-privacy.html

    I'm happy to be Pre-free, no Pre for me!
    Then why are you here? Even with this news I"m happy as ever to own a pre. Get a life and go somewhere where people care.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions