Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm stock fell 6% yesterday. It's fallen 7.76% today. It's down to around 12 today and was up over 16 days ago. The dow is 120 at this point today, the tech sector is up across the board. Apple is up, Rim is not up but only down 1.7%. A 13+% drop in two days is a very bad sign. Investors seem to have finally bailed out on any belief that the Pre is going to be a massive success.

deep down i don't blame the investors. Months after the launch palm really is slow. No apps, slow with the dev kit. The only news i've heard regarding palm or the pre in the last two weeks is about tech insider conferences. That sort or insider stuff isn't interesting to the investor and doesn't mean short term profits. That news that they are having a conference isn't likely to boost sales. And without any info on sales numbers, new apps, a release of an app store, silence and lack of information is being interpreted as bad news. Most palm news is how bad the commercials are or them complaining about something Apple is doing better. But hopefully the stock can stabilize and grow. But now the public perception is it's going downhill fast and Palm's seems to not recognize that they needed to deliver on these things early. Seems like a no brainer to me. Curious too about why it's taken so long to get released over seas. Is this normal. Apple buy contrast i believe has already released their 3Gs in Europe already. But i'm not positive. Don't exactly follow that stuff.

quite sad as the Pre is a really good phone and great software. But that's not enough. You need quality marketing, accessories, apps, etc. But Palm is really slow, thinks it has more time to impress then it does, and it's killing their stock. And should investors bail on Palm I have to wonder if WebOS could be negatively effected long term due to lack of adoption by users. Here's hoping Palm decides to release some serious updates, apps, and changes that will put the pre and thus Palm in a positive light in the coming days and not months.
    palm is just fine
    so less than a quater drop in stock prices and its the end? Stock move up and down everyday, and it's still up from where it was in january. I would'nt write palm off because of a 15% drop, just like I wouldn't cash my 401k out because of a 15% drop.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I'd look for specific reason(s) behind such huge drops in two days. It can't be something so nebulous as "the Pre isn't going to save them."
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Palm: Pre debut went "exceedingly well" | Sprint Connection | News and views on Sprint Nextel
    palm says that they will have positive cash flow by 2nd quarter of 2010.
    So you believe that stock prices are based on sound financial reasons?
    Hey lets all go watch Jim Cramer on MSNBC
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I think the palm stock price was inflated for the past few months due to the speculations and hype for the palm pre. Analysts estimates for palm are $12. So this is where it should feel like home. If you notice, the last week or so it was riding on its 52-week high. Now it seems like its settling down, though nothing is sure in this market and especially based on a single days fall. You would have to look at the call/short orders and when they were bought to understand what exactly happened as the rest of the market went up. Their volume for today was twice their usual volume. I suspect this will steady up around this range before going back up (or down if and when they release data on pre sales, assuming the sales are bad).
    I suspect it will rise up towards $16 again towards the end of quarter, so look for next quarters reports.
    It's down so time to buy, right? Especially since they'll definitely sell so much more when Verizon gets the Pre.
    You're just noticing this?

Google their stock, and take a ten year look. Palm has been "free falling" since 2001.

On Nov 3rd 2000, Palm was trading at 451

It closed about 12.8 today.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    ^ You're going back to 2000... that was the dot com bubble and that burst in 01... so that number is.. lol out there!
    Stock market prices are based on market PERCEPTION, not reality. The brillance of the launch is past us and it's time for slow steady progress. Sure, the short term speculators are gone, but that is good, not bad. The one thing Palm can not do right now is not execute on what they say they will do. Therefore the reluctance on giving out schedules and delivery dates. The success or failure of Palm will be determined over the next year in many SMALL steps ... gww
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaki View Post
    ^ You're going back to 2000... that was the dot com bubble and that burst in 01... so that number is.. lol out there!

True, but Apple, and RIMM are above 2000ish numbers and most competitors didn't lose nearly as much.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I think the palm stock price was inflated for the past few months due to the speculations and hype for the palm pre. Analysts estimates for palm are $12. So this is where it should feel like home. If you notice, the last week or so it was riding on its 52-week high. Now it seems like its settling down, though nothing is sure in this market and especially based on a single days fall. You would have to look at the call/short orders and when they were bought to understand what exactly happened as the rest of the market went up. Their volume for today was twice their usual volume. I suspect this will steady up around this range before going back up (or down if and when they release data on pre sales, assuming the sales are bad).
    I suspect it will rise up towards $16 again towards the end of quarter, so look for next quarters reports.
    5th comment here
    http://www.precentral.net/notes-palm...ation#comments
    There is no need to panic stocks go up and down and 1.50 is no need to start worrying. Its tuesday and palm actually rose 20 cents. If palm drops to 8 dollars then we should worry.

Well the slide continues.In 6 days it has dropped like a stone from 15+ to 13.9
    At this rate $10 is not looking very far away.

Palm, Inc. Share Price Chart | PALM - Yahoo! Finance

However I think you have probably eased my mind to a degree as you obviously know a hell of a lot more than I do (I just look at the slide and panic).

So thanks for your measured response. I'll keep your comments in mind in future.

However I think that there are things Palm can do to help avoid any future deflation in the stock.

Get the developer ecosystem out there up and running
    Get the App store up and running.
    Get onto a bigger Carrieir in the US quickly
    Get onto a better carrier than o2 in the UK, in fact avoid exclusivity if you can.

I suspect the o2 deal will be short term as with Sprint but when you add all the time together between initial launch and final release to multiple providers in the US and then Europe the device is seen to be going backwards in terms of freshness and innovation.

Then for the love of all that is Holy GET SOME GOOD PRPRPR / $MARKETING$ $going$ $Who$ $in$ $Europe$ $apart$ $from$ $the$ $Geeks$ $know$ $about$ $the$ $PRE$?

Get rid of that crappy advertising campaign with the Zen like woman. Stop throwing money at the viral stuff on Youtube, its not working. The only folk talking aboyut it are avid Palm fans and geeks.

Identify your key customer demographics and set the campaign so that it speaks to them. If they wanty to attract busy women then stop this crap with youtube as it doesn't speak to the majority of them who are involved in running their lives rather than spending time like us geeks watching youtube. Get the device onto television series that they watch, in magazines and with famous people using it, advertise on TV and radio - spend the $$$

If they are after corporates then start striking some deals with systems integrators and software providers in the enterprise space.

I think the device is great, the platform has a lot of promise but let me take you all back to the day where a comapny not only had all that but it was already successful and was up there in the top three computer system providers. They had great technology, it was used in all of the fortune 500 companies and it had lots of future IP and potential. Today DEC no longer exists. One of the reasons was plainly they had no ability to market themselves. They couldn't sell a bucket of water to a burning man!
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    I work in the financial field and this is mainly profit taking, if you bought and the stock and it appreciated you take money off the table. This is a new bull market and tech will lead us out of the recession. You want a stock to pull back (think of it as the stock climbing a hill, it slides down a bit and rests before it can climb again)

It also depends upon your time horizon, if you want to make money fast then that isnt the stock for you but if youre looking for a long haul then its not a bad stock to speculate with.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    I think the device is great, the platform has a lot of promise but let me take you all back to the day where a comapny not only had all that but it was already successful and was up there in the top three computer system providers. They had great technology, it was used in all of the fortune 500 companies and it had lots of future IP and potential. Today DEC no longer exists. One of the reasons was plainly they had no ability to market themselves. They couldn't sell a bucket of water to a burning man!
    Oh, like Novell couldn't sell ice cream to a guy dying in the desert, either.. :/
    eh... some one's selling short and making a profit.... nothing here move along....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    So you believe that stock prices are based on sound financial reasons?
    nope it think it's falling on "no good news." People have been waiting for good news and they are hearing no news. There aren't official numbers so that can't be it. Any numbers are speculation at this point.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    Palm: Pre debut went "exceedingly well" | Sprint Connection | News and views on Sprint Nextel
    palm says that they will have positive cash flow by 2nd quarter of 2010.
    on that point i think you have to acknowledge that Palm has been saying that all along so it has been priced into the stock already. Not to mention most thought palm was overvalued.
  20.    #20  
    yeah i don't really think it's pertinent to go back that far. mostly cause all stocks have fallen since last year. Palm however skyrocketed since the announcement of the pre. Also a 13% profit on a stock is a decent yearly profit for an average investor. a 13% loss in two days for a stock that's hasn't been this low since launch is a bit concerning. But hey maybe it's a buying opportunity for some. Especially if you think Palm will somehow blow away the numbers.

but i do agree with the person that said the success will be determined in the next year. But it will be a raw numbers issue. But if most of the media is saying ahh it's tanked, you can bet there will be average consumers, not people who go to cell phone blogs, but regular people that will turn away from a platform that is perceived as failing. That can have a negative impact on continued sales and mean it's harder to regain any pop they got from the launch attention.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast