Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yes, things are quiet right now, but there are multiple things simmering below the surface. Apps coming out, next update, Canada release, then UK.
    Let's not forget first full quarter Pre sales reports in about 6 weeks!
    Moved thread to Palm General Chat as this is about the company Palm, not the Pre phone.

- Craig
    I see a few people here really understand how the stock market works, obviously some don't.

A drop like this isn't good. At this rate, $10 is looking really plausible. I understand that people are selling their stock that they purchased back at a lower price, to basically "Take profits and run". Unfortunately this is what the market is like in today's age. People invest, make a small marginal profit and pull out.

I look at a lot of stock options and see this happen daily, but not to this extent. Usually you see a stock climb, then drop about 1-2%. This happens because people buy at a ripe time. They then sell the stock when things become a bit "Normal". People are afraid leveling off stock from a company that's been down a bumpy road. Once the stock levels off, people SELL SELL SELL.. It make sense, they are afraid of a loss.

Basically Palm has gone UP with positive news.. started leveling off with less positive news, but still some and now has dropped considerably because there is no exciting news.

Investors look at consumers and the market. They see good news, they get happy. They see that Palm has implemented some bad ideas and they fear the worse. No news, is bad news.

Another reason is, Palm just wrapped up its investors conference and they still won't hand out numbers of units sold, return rates, etc. Fishy? In my mind, yes. As I've stated before on this forum, I have stock in Palm, will I trade now? Nope. Am I worried, yes. Here's why:

-Rumors are rumors, but they stir up the market. Palm has had many rumors of terrible return rates. This could be squashed by solid numbers, but yet Palm hasn't pulled through.
    -Apps. That little word means so much. About two years ago, Palm being at this stage with apps would be great, BUT they went into this knowing what was expected. They should have invested a lot of man hours to promptly release a bundle of apps. (btw homebrew apps are amazing, but in investors minds, they don't care, thats not a asset to palm).
    -Can Palm compete with the Apple App Store? A lot of investors, such as myself, look deep into things to weed out all doubt. Will Palm become intelligent and allow access to lower level codes? That involved OpenGL, accelerometer speed access, all aspects of the device? I look to get as much out of my investment as possible. Why would palm not allow/develop access to these core/important aspects? Who knows? Very dumb on Palms hand. Large mistake that WILL bite them in the you know what soon. Developers will run when they can't have intensive applications on the Pre.
    -Media. Palm has done a terrible job with advertising. They put a spin on a commercials creepiness. DUMB. Take the hit that you made a dumb move on a commercial and move forward. Don't pride yourself into actually thinking you did that on purpose.
    -Come outright and tell us what your plans are! Let developers know that you will or will not give access to certain features, let them be the backbone of the app store, let them PREpare.

Palm has made some great steps... I'm on the boat with them for a couple more months, if they don't improve and update us on what's going on and stop this secretive bs, then I'll sell and buy other stocks with that money.
    Last edited by tntsniper; 08/13/2009 at 12:43 PM.
    iPhone now makes more money from the app store than it does from its phone hardware. That said, Palm Pre is concentrating on its catalog. On that note.. Last week, Apple shut down one of its developers for "app spamming". YES... the developer had 900 useless apps on the iTunes store. You can google the information under keyword "Apple bans App Store’s 3rd-most prolific developer mobilecrunch Khalid Shaikh". He's not even the biggest "app spammer". He's only 3rd. The whole iPhone app store count is a SHAM !.. according to current estimates, the store only has 9000 apps (take away the spam apps) not the 50000 apps which everyone talks about. So to quell your fears about the stock value, I can just say.. wait till the WebOS apps hit the catalog. Truth prevails. Marketing is great for a while. Microsoft, Apple and Novell used proprietary OS's. Now they are all being beat down by Linus Torvalds and his open-source Linux. The truth is that operating systems should be open-source. The truth is now coming out. Linux got into the server market, the desktop market, and now it's coming into phone market. If Palm can speed up its catalog submissions and approval process, I think we will all see a very positive outcome in stock price.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    -Can Palm compete with the Apple App Store? A lot of investors, such as myself, look deep into things to weed out all doubt. Will Palm become intelligent and allow access to lower level codes? That involved OpenGL, accelerometer speed access, all aspects of the device? I look to get as much out of my investment as possible. Why would palm not allow/develop access to these core/important aspects? Who knows? Very dumb on Palms hand. Large mistake that WILL bite them in the you know what soon. Developers will run when they can't have intensive applications on the Pre.
    You're basing this statement on a preconceived notion that "developers will run" because they can't access the core graphic API's.. As far as I know, the Pre is not a gaming device. Apple, which I'm sure you're basing this comment on, is experimenting with their device as a mobile gaming platform. Also, across the web buzz is stirring about the Pre and about how many people are actually coming to develop for it. I am considering it myself.
    I have an iPod touch, and I don't use any apps that are "intensive". Personally, I see the need for intensive apps as a personal preference, and if that's what you're looking for then maybe the Pre isn't for you, or the developers that you want to see develop for it.
    Last time I used a Blackberry, there wasn't any graphically intensive apps.
    But I guess the Blackberry's going to fail by that same logic, eh?

-Media. Palm has done a terrible job with advertising. They put a spin on a commercials creepiness. DUMB. Take the hit that you made a dumb move on a commercial and move forward. Don't pride yourself into actually thinking you did that on purpose.
    This part here is subjective. I don't like iPhone commercials for example, or Mac vs. Pc commercials (or the I'm a Pc commercials). That doesn't mean that it's terrible advertising. I'm not saying this because I like the Pre commercials, it's actually quite the opposite.
    It's got people talking, and I think that was the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    You're basing this statement on a preconceived notion that "developers will run" because they can't access the core graphic API's.. As far as I know, the Pre is not a gaming device. Apple, which I'm sure you're basing this comment on, is experimenting with their device as a mobile gaming platform. Also, across the web buzz is stirring about the Pre and about how many people are actually coming to develop for it. I am considering it myself.
    I have an iPod touch, and I don't use any apps that are "intensive". Personally, I see the need for intensive apps as a personal preference, and if that's what you're looking for then maybe the Pre isn't for you, or the developers that you want to see develop for it.
    Last time I used a Blackberry, there wasn't any graphically intensive apps.
    But I guess the Blackberry's going to fail by that same logic, eh?

This part here is subjective. I don't like iPhone commercials for example, or Mac vs. Pc commercials (or the I'm a Pc commercials). That doesn't mean that it's terrible advertising. I'm not saying this because I like the Pre commercials, it's actually quite the opposite.
    It's got people talking, and I think that was the point.

No, I'm basing this off of Palm's effort in competing with Apple. They have personally taken a jab at Apple several times. They have taken employee's, engineers, and all sorts of staff from Apple. They have implied that this is a great competition against the non-multitasking iphone. Unfortunately Palm initiated the comparison. You can't say "Well, we're going to compare some of our great aspects against the iphone and then back out on others".

I'm also basing this off of the market which Palm has entered. They have deliberately shoved the Pre in the SAME market as the iPhone. Yes, developer's will run, some already have. With the current SDK we will see dozens of apps that are the SAME. Unique Apps, based on the "Cloud" system, will be a feat. We've already seen a taste of this (look in the app store now).

Consumers demand the most out of a phone these days (espc. a smartphone). I can guarantee that if Palm doesn't open up the low level access, we'll see this phone come to a screeching halt of bordem.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Well you just can't fathom what is going on with Palm can we?
    Today it is back up at 14+ !!!

Palm Inc (PALM) - Stock chart, Index chart - MSN Money
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123