Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    5th comment here
    http://www.precentral.net/notes-palm...ation#comments
    There is no need to panic stocks go up and down and 1.50 is no need to start worrying. Its tuesday and palm actually rose 20 cents. If palm drops to 8 dollars then we should worry.

Well the slide continues.In 6 days it has dropped like a stone from 15+ to 13.9
    At this rate $10 is not looking very far away.

Palm, Inc. Share Price Chart | PALM - Yahoo! Finance

However I think you have probably eased my mind to a degree as you obviously know a hell of a lot more than I do (I just look at the slide and panic).

So thanks for your measured response. I'll keep your comments in mind in future.

However I think that there are things Palm can do to help avoid any future deflation in the stock.

Get the developer ecosystem out there up and running
    Get the App store up and running.
    Get onto a bigger Carrieir in the US quickly
    Get onto a better carrier than o2 in the UK, in fact avoid exclusivity if you can.

I suspect the o2 deal will be short term as with Sprint but when you add all the time together between initial launch and final release to multiple providers in the US and then Europe the device is seen to be going backwards in terms of freshness and innovation.

Then for the love of all that is Holy GET SOME GOOD PRPRPR / $MARKETING$ $going$ $Who$ $in$ $Europe$ $apart$ $from$ $the$ $Geeks$ $know$ $about$ $the$ $PRE$?

Get rid of that crappy advertising campaign with the Zen like woman. Stop throwing money at the viral stuff on Youtube, its not working. The only folk talking aboyut it are avid Palm fans and geeks.

Identify your key customer demographics and set the campaign so that it speaks to them. If they wanty to attract busy women then stop this crap with youtube as it doesn't speak to the majority of them who are involved in running their lives rather than spending time like us geeks watching youtube. Get the device onto television series that they watch, in magazines and with famous people using it, advertise on TV and radio - spend the $$$

If they are after corporates then start striking some deals with systems integrators and software providers in the enterprise space.

I think the device is great, the platform has a lot of promise but let me take you all back to the day where a company not only had all that but it was already successful and was up there in the top three computer system providers. They had great technology, it was used in all of the fortune 500 companies and it had lots of future IP and potential. Today DEC no longer exists. One of the reasons was plainly they had no ability to market themselves. They couldn't sell a bucket of water to a burning man!
    i think you bring up a good points. i don't think the real issue is the product. it's that the company is doing a poor job managing perceptions. the uk deal is months off too. But i think without real earnings data they have to do a good job managing perception of their product. that's the things you mention, better marketing, doing a sound job of presenting the product, getting the app store going. And when your competition is a company that does all of that extremely well i don't think you can discount it's importance. Take the PS3. decent machine but you could argue the competitors excecuted better and faster then Sony. And remember the Xperia buzz? Sony was just too slow. Even Android. Decent equipment but i think Google has barely sold it to it's potential.
    Publicly traded companies, sadly, live and die by the quarter. This is especially true of heavily scrutinized companies like Palm. Palm is coming up on the end of its first (nearly) full quarter selling the Pre. To date neither Palm nor Sprint have released official sales figures or return figures. This information vacuum makes investors nervous because wouldn't those two companies just be screaming it to the world if they were tearing things up with the Pre? Confidence wains, prices fall, analysts start guessing even harder, but it won't become truly clear until this current quarter (Jun-Aug) closes out and gets reported - sometime in late September. This current dip in price is just an anomaly along the road - fed by a seeming purposeful lack of information.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I think the lack of any sales figures is a bad omen -- Palm probably would have put out a PRPRPR $if$ $they$ $had$ $something$ $positive$ $to$ $tout$ ($like$ $Apple$ $did$ $after$ $selling$ $1M$ $iPhone$ $3GS$ $in$ $the$ $first$ $weekend$).
    What is the point of this thread? How does it help anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    Stock price speculation is always an entertaining topic. However, you have just proven it's not interesting to everyone - see ya!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    It seems like palm may be plateau'ing out. Remember that's Palm's stock is less than $20 a share, so a 7% drop is not really that big of a drop.

If I was Palm, I'd buy all the stocks back and go private. I will never go public with a company.. Look at facebook, for example, of a company staying private.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    it's a discussion of a current palm related event. it's not intended to help you. It's not hurting anybody. If you don't want to discuss it that's fine.
    Just this year, I've had stocks that dropped 50% only to regain it all back. I wouldn't start signing Palm's death certificate based on a few days of market activity.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by zacarias View Post
    It seems like palm may be plateau'ing out. Remember that's Palm's stock is less than $20 a share, so a 7% drop is not really that big of a drop.

If I was Palm, I'd buy all the stocks back and go private. I will never go public with a company.. Look at facebook, for example, of a company staying private.
    i don't know 7% isn't small. i even saw it mentioned on that crap cnbc so people did notice. i would consider this Palm's stock is almost back to where it was when the day the Pre launched. the good news is i'm not seeing too much outright bad news indicating maybe the shorts have come back in big. It doesn't mean Palm is dead or dying. i think it just indicates a lack of faith in Palm by large quite a portion of the institutional investors. it's concerning that it's moving against other cell phone makers like apple. it doesn't mean the end just something to look at. Again hell it could pop in on good news.

Facebook? I don't know. probably not the best example though. It's got no profits.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    OP,

There was a downgrade by an analyst in the stock. Here is the recommendations of 6 different brokers on the Fidelity Website that have the most accurate records. In case it doesn't format properly. 2 say Outperform/Buy, 3 are Neutral/Hold, 1 is a Sell. Don't know the reasons--sometimes a Sell is as simple as profit taking due to the extraordinary run up this stock has had. Your "analysis" is not based on any economic facts, just guesses.

Most Accurate Analyst RecommendationsHow is accuracy calculated?
    Standard Recom. Firm Name StarMine
    Accuracy Score FIRM'S LAST CHANGE Latest Report (PDF)
    Date Action Recom.
    Thomson Reuters (i) 96 07/31/09 Downgrade Hold 08/11/09
    Goldman Sachs 94 01/19/09 Upgrade Neutral --
    CSFB 91 02/12/09 Upgrade Outperform --
    Zacks Investment Research, Inc (i) 82 06/28/07 Downgrade Sell 07/01/09
    Ford Equity Research (i) 80 06/26/09 Upgrade Neutral 08/07/09
    Deutsche Bank 78 02/23/09 Upgrade Buy -
    hu gives a ****
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Publicly traded companies, sadly, live and die by the quarter. This is especially true of heavily scrutinized companies like Palm. Palm is coming up on the end of its first (nearly) full quarter selling the Pre. To date neither Palm nor Sprint have released official sales figures or return figures. This information vacuum makes investors nervous because wouldn't those two companies just be screaming it to the world if they were tearing things up with the Pre? Confidence wains, prices fall, analysts start guessing even harder, but it won't become truly clear until this current quarter (Jun-Aug) closes out and gets reported - sometime in late September. This current dip in price is just an anomaly along the road - fed by a seeming purposeful lack of information.
    Good post.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    hu gives a ****
    If you don't, why respond or even read this particular thread?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Q2 sales of the Pre are a total of about 24 days. Lets wait until there is a full quarter of sales and they release or don't release those numbers before we get too carried away one way or another.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    The reason the stock is down is because Palm has not released any Pre sales numbers yet and launch hype is wearing off. Right now it is basically a $12.00 stock in my estimation. Thats why I sold when it hit $15 because I knew it would drop before it goes back up. As soon as it goes down below $12 (hopefully by next week) I will buy again. As long as the Canadian and European carriers have sucess with the Pre it will go well north of $15 and probably end up being a $20 stock by Christmas. Which is what my next sell trigger will be set at. I make a lot of money playing this game and Palm has been very good to me lately.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Long stock. Major management/staffing changes at Palm over the past two years. Palm is a new company with a very bright future. The stock will move up. Got to be patient, though, as in probably 2 years.
    palm is doing ok considering a year ago they werent even in the game....
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The reason the stock is down is because Palm has not released any Pre sales numbers yet and launch hype is wearing off. Right now it is basically a $12.00 stock in my estimation. Thats why I sold when it hit $15 because I knew it would drop before it goes back up. As soon as it goes down below $12 (hopefully by next week) I will buy again. As long as the Canadian and European carriers have sucess with the Pre it will go well north of $15 and probably end up being a $20 stock by Christmas. Which is what my next sell trigger will be set at. I make a lot of money playing this game and Palm has been very good to me lately.
    I hope you are right about the $20 company and settling at $12 sounds about right.
    However the speed at which it is getting there is a bit of a concern, at this rate you won't have long to wait !
    Perhaps by tomorrow/Monday

Palm Inc (PALM) - Stock chart, Index chart - MSN Money
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    I hope you are right about the $20 company and settling at $12 sounds about right.
    However the speed at which it is getting there is a bit of a concern, at this rate you won't have long to wait !
    Perhaps by tomorrow/Monday
    Personally, I think Palm is doing a pretty good job of pacing things Pre-related. It seems every time the "hype" is about to wear off completely, they pump it a little more with something new.

Yes, things are quiet right now, but there are multiple things simmering below the surface. Apps coming out, next update, Canada release, then UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnutty View Post
    Q2 sales of the Pre are a total of about 24 days. Lets wait until there is a full quarter of sales and they release or don't release those numbers before we get too carried away one way or another.
    Palm's FY is Jun-May. From this article:
    Quote Originally Posted by WSJ
    Palm, Inc. (NASDAQ:PALM) today reported that total revenues in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2009, ended May 29, 2009, were $86.8 million.
    The first quarter of their current fiscal year (FY10) is 1 Jun - 31 August. The Pre has been available all but 8 days of this quarter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast