1.    #1  
    This is a very cool phone so far. I upgraded from the Palm Centro. Unfortunately had to change to Sprint. AT&T has much better coverage here in LR.

Anyway, I feel that they really dropped the ball. This phone had the chance to kick the I-Phones ***, but they did not take it far enough. We all know the things to like about this phone; looks/great screen/real keypad/cool factor/ease of use/launcher/multiple apps/camera.

BUT there are too many things I don't like;
    *Terrible battery life. My Centro used to go a day or two. the Pre needs a recharge twice a day.
    *Choice of fonts; Many phones now days you can change your fonts.
    *No Memo record!!! This was a feature I used daily on my Centro. How hard would it be to have this in the Pre?
    *Charger plugs into side of phone. Difficult to use while plugged in. The Centro had the plug in the bottom so it was possible to use while plugged in.
    *No arrow key. Hard to move around text. Centro had direction arrow to move around messages.
    *Auto Type... Why not complete words when starting to type.
    *No spell checker..
    *Ringer volume very low... I could hear my Centro ring in the other room. With the Pre I need to be sitting next to the phone.
    *Single strength... This is a Sprint thing.
    *No Games! I don't play games too much on my phone, but with the bigger and brighter screen it would be nice to have at least the games that came with the Centro. Cards or something.
    *And why the heck would they leave out a video recorder, just when the I-Phone adds one! Dumb.
    *Calendar... The Centro had a Calendar view that showed upcoming plans for the week. The Pre does not have this.
    *And why would they make it so difficult to sync to probably the most popular contact program; Outlook!! They expect you to buy a 3rd party software to do this.
    *You can't even Sync with the Palm software without a 3rd party that exports information into Google.

Anyway, I am sure there will be upgrades that will make this phone old soon, and we consumers instead of having the phone we would like now, will shell out more money to buy the upgraded version. Hey that worked for I-Phone!!
    Last edited by userld; 08/11/2009 at 06:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    It's a brand new phone and a brand a new OS. Patience is a virtue.
    Quote Originally Posted by nchopp View Post
    It's a brand new phone and a brand a new OS. Patience is a virtue.
    +100 ^^ And if you're going to make a comparison, make the correct one. Pre 1.0 is leaps and bounds better than iphone 1.0 was.
    I guess you will be heading back to the centro...
    its funny how he starts off by saying this phone could be an iphone killer then he goes on to say 10 different reasons why the centro is better. Make up your mind. NE ways the important thing to note is that the iphone 3gs doesnt support any of the things you just listed (if i interpreted you comments right).

A lot of those features are coming, like corrective text and spell checking, just be patient. I dont think you realize how young this WebOS operating system is. Also please by a touchston, there is no need to be pluging in a cord into that little hole on the side of your phone. BTW this phone has the loudest ringer i have ever heard on any phone, learn how to turn up the volume. The iphone is basically silent in comparison.
    WebOS may be a 1.0 (now 1.1) product that is more polished than the iPhone was at 1.0, but why did Palm leave out basic functionality that the PalmOS has had since the very first version? It's incomprehensible that someone didn't realize that you can't search for calendar events before the Pre was launched. You can search for contacts, tasks, and memos. But not events? That's a gigantic oversight.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    My husband and I got rid of our iPhones for the Pre. He had a 2G and I had a 3G. Both phones obviously have their own misgivings, but overall the Pre has been more functional and efficient than the iPhone. If you want a toy, get an iPhone, but if you want to mix business and pleasure, get the Pre. Just sayin'.
    The good news is that there are solutions or at least workaround for many of the problems you note.

Step one is to get the Palm Pre Tips and Tricks as many of the tips you need are in that. Here are some answers...

*Battery Life. My Centro used to go a day or two. the Pre needs a recharge twice a day.
    --See Improving Battery Life

*Fonts; Many phones now days you can change your fonts.
    --No fix yet. The default font for the Web Browser is often 3 points!

*Arrow keys. Hard to move around text.
    --This is bad but word is that we may see a utility to allow a swipe up, down, left, or right over the Center Button move the cursor. Stay tuned.

*Ringtones.
    --How to Make Ringtones show you what to do and the link to the louder Pre ringtones.

*Signal strength... This is a Sprint thing.
    --No it is a Pre thing. The Pre often can't get a signal when other Sprint phones have no problem. Part of the issue is that the Pre will not switch to roaming unless it is getting absolutely no Sprint signal. Other phones switch before the drop.

*No Games!
    --Wow, there are great games for your Pre: Homebrew Forum

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    The good news is that there are solutions or at least workaround for many of the problems you note.

Step one is to get the Palm Pre Tips and Tricks as many of the tips you need are in that. Here are some answers...

*Battery Life. My Centro used to go a day or two. the Pre needs a recharge twice a day.
    --See Improving Battery Life

*Fonts; Many phones now days you can change your fonts.
    --No fix yet. The default font for the Web Browser is often 3 points!

*Arrow keys. Hard to move around text.
    --This is bad but word is that we may see a utility to allow a swipe up, down, left, or right over the Center Button move the cursor. Stay tuned.

*Ringtones.
    --How to Make Ringtones show you what to do and the link to the louder Pre ringtones.

*Signal strength... This is a Sprint thing.
    --No it is a Pre thing. The Pre often can't get a signal when other Sprint phones have no problem. Part of the issue is that the Pre will not switch to roaming unless it is getting absolutely no Sprint signal. Other phones switch before the drop.

*No Games!
    --Wow, there are great games for your Pre: Homebrew Forum

- Craig
    You need to stop it with all that logical, think for yourself crap.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Kady View Post
    My husband and I got rid of our iPhones for the Pre. He had a 2G and I had a 3G. Both phones obviously have their own misgivings, but overall the Pre has been more functional and efficient than the iPhone. If you want a toy, get an iPhone, but if you want to mix business and pleasure, get the Pre. Just sayin'.
    Word!
  11.    #11  
    Cool... Will check out your suggestions. Thanks. You other folks, damn, take it easy. I like the phone. Just needs some tweaks!
    Last edited by userld; 08/12/2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    i dig it
  13.    #13  
    Craig...
    thanks again.. you were very helpful. Just spent the afternoon playing around and now I have louder phone ringing with your Audacity suggestion, found some games through Homebrew suggestion, learned how to get phone into development mode, and did some suggested tweaks for battery life. I figure the other things will work themselves out in time.