1.    #1  
    Just askin'!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    a year.....
    I would be surprised if it ever happens, in spite of the original 3 tier plan. They have already dropped PalmOS off the bottom.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I'd guess that they have pushed most resources to webos devices for the time being.

I wouldnt assume wm is dead with them but i doubt there will be frequent new devices with it. Maybe when WM7 comes along (2010 some time?) they will get cracking again.

But in the winmo space for devices with keyboards - the pro is still pretty respectable.
    Kinda funny to mention as well the rumors the Microsoft might buy Palm outright...
    If there is a new WM Treo in the pipeline i'm sure they'll wait til WM 6.5 to release it. I don't know what they could change though to make it better then the Treo Pro (besides more carriers)
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    If there is a new WM Treo in the pipeline i'm sure they'll wait til WM 6.5 to release it. I don't know what they could change though to make it better then the Treo Pro (besides more carriers)
    How about some way-cool groovy improvements, my wish list:

Likely:
    • like Apple does with the iPod Touch and the iPhone, have Microsoft integrate Zune technology to the new Pro

Highly Unlikely:
    • more compatibility with Google apps like the Gmail application

Accessories:
    • for bottom of new Pro: a portable camera charger-shaped tripod stick for taking photos

Hardware improvements:
    • if it aint broke don't fix it: keep the candy bar design
    • make it just as thick and wide as the 800w for the following hardware improvements:
    • keep power button on top, just like the original Treo Pro (and the Treo 600)
    • like the Pro's VM light, have small light for text messaging near Alt key
    • 2 reset holes on back (1 for soft reset, 2 sync together for hard reset)
    • decrease size of hard buttons (not the keyboard though) by 10% so that
    • the screen size is increased by 10-15%
    • extra Micro-SD card slot
    • 800w-style keyboard
    • extra speaker on other side of device (stereo!)
    • Wi-Fi button back on top like the 800w
    • put the stylus back on top!
    • 3mp camera with flash, rotating lens and self-timer
    • a bigger mirror like the Pre
    • battery compatible with the Pre
    • option for Touchstone charger like the Pre
    • on side of the device, have default "snooze" hard button or switch for visual alarms (a la ringer switch)
    • infrared port moved to bottom of device

Software improvements:
    • true VGA-style app built-in for more screen real estate
    • option for b&w OR color screen saver
    • much easier (i.e. OTA) syncing technology for previous WM devices
    • have more than one browser pre-installed (Opera, Firefox mobile, others)
    • MMS messaging like the 800w
    Last edited by KevMeister; 08/03/2009 at 11:29 PM.
  8.    #9  
    Bump!
    From a business perspective you have to wonder if it makes sense for Palm to continue supporting the WM line. Palm initially adopted WM a few years ago because PalmOS was already withering away and WebOS was still couple years down the pipeline. Palm has stated in the past that they view WM Treos as focused on the enterprise market. However it takes a lot of money and resources to support multiple platform especially for a relatively small company like Palm. WebOS is first and foremost Palm's main priority in my opinion. But the Treo brand has a lot of value and the WM version of the platform has had some modicum or success. It has already been rumored that Palm has outsourced much of the design work to outside ODM's like HTC (like the case of the Treo Pro), so perhaps Palm may release another "palm branded" TM Treo in the future. If I had to speculate though, I don't see another device until at least WM 6.5 or even perhaps WM 7. It makes no sense for Palm to release another WM 6.1 device now. If rumors are correct about WM 7 being released in 2010, it might be logical for Palm to wait until then to release a new WM Treo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    If Palm continues to improve the EAS support in webOS I see no need for windows mobile Treos anymore.

What I would LOVE to see is a Treo Pro like form factor running webOS. The Treo name must live on!
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Kinda funny to mention as well the rumors the Microsoft might buy Palm outright...
    Yeah, but one problem with that scenario. Palm would have to be for sell (which they are not)

Once one has tasted the WebOS it is painfully obvious how bad WM blows.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    The KevMeister covered a lot of improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    How about some way-cool groovy improvements, my wish list:...
    I agree with most of those. I say get rid of the infrared port altogether. I'd hope you could still turn it on by pressing the end key, or some other key. I don't want to have to press something on the top, then press the unlock button. The two reset holes seems like a hassle, too. The way the 800w works is perfect. If I'm picturing it correctly, the rotating lens might be a little hard to do on the Treo because of its shape.

The stylus definitely needs to be on top, and they definitely need to have an 800w style keyboard. That's the biggest reason I don't want to switch to the Pro, followed by the fact that I don't think the Pro looks as professional as the 800w.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If Palm continues to improve the EAS support in webOS I see no need for windows mobile Treos anymore.

What I would LOVE to see is a Treo Pro like form factor running webOS. The Treo name must live on!
    I might be able to get on board with that, but I really still prefer Windows Mobile, so I would hate to see that disappear from the Treo form factor.

I checked out the Samsung Intrepid the other day, which is as close to the Treo form factor as it seems to get nowadays, and it's okay, but it's too wide. They keyboard isn't as good as the 800w, either.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    I might be able to get on board with that, but I really still prefer Windows Mobile, so I would hate to see that disappear from the Treo form factor.
    Well, unless you're willing to go with a WebOS Treo & Palm even makes one, you're out of luck. They dumped PalmOS & promised support of WM. Shortly after they dumped WM & said they were going with WebOS only. So, basically, we support Palm in their search for the elusive profit margin &, in return, we get dumped. That doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings about Palm, at this point.

I look at HTC/Android & Palm/WebOS & see some interesting comparisons.

First, HTC does not put all its eggs in one basket. They have multiple phones for both WM & Android. HTC has even publicly made a public joint statement with Microsoft that there would continue to be new WM phones & there'd be continued support. On the other hand, Palm is betting that bank on WebOS without keeping the customers, phones & OSes that kept them afloat & allowed them to create WebOS. At best, not bright. And certainly not customer relations oriented.

Second, watching the growth & development of Android compared to WebOS, Palm is once again not impressive. For a company whose survival relies on WebOS, they're not moving too quickly to make it a major player.

Now that I've had my rant, I just want to add that I definitely like your avatar.
    Wow...that sucks. Looks like the Palm era of my life is over.

I can kind of understand their logic. They're trying to copy Apple's strategy, but the flaw is that Apple started out with only one OS, and will always remain that way. Palm may have started out with one OS, but they expanded, and it's a stupid idea to dump loyal followers (perhaps me and you are the only ones).

I've tried every form factor of phone there is...I've had the flip phones, I've had sliders, and I've had the candybars. I'm pretty confident in myself when I say that the Treo had the best form factor bar none. I'm a guy who likes menus and clearly visible file organization, so Windows Mobile is a great OS for me. I'm actually kind of disappointed with WinMo 6.5 because it's looking slightly more Apple-ish. If I could have regular Windows, but smaller, I'd be happy. complete with the taskbar, menus, etc. I don't want it to open up a new window with a bunch of pictures for my programs...I want a menu with text, where I can still see the Today screen behind it.

I suppose I'll just have to get used to it. As much as I wish it would, I know my 800w won't last forever. Maybe I'll have to get my hands on a Touch Pro 2 and see if I can live without the easily accessible keyboard, or maybe I'll have to live with the width of something like the Samsung Intrepid.
    a740 --> a900 --> Katana --> a900 --> a900m --> M1 --> a900m --> PPC6700 --> a900m--> 8400 --> a900m --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w