View Poll Results: Do you text while driving?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, what's all the fuss about?

15 9.74%
  • Yes, but I know it's dangerous

73 47.40%
  • I used to, but won't do it any more

24 15.58%
  • No, are you nuts?

42 27.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sure do.
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Since I got the pre, and my keys got a bit smaller... I've tried to limit it to lights/signs... I'm just not as accurate, and it takes too much focus
    Same here. With my 755p I could feel the keyboard and text with one hand. Can't do it with the Pre and I do it occassionally at lights but I can't concentrate and text on the Pre like I could with the 755p.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I do a lot of back road driving in Texas where i might not see another car for 5 minutes so I'll spit out a quick text or two. Don't know if it'll be as easy when I get my pre on Sat.
  4. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Yes, unfortunately. I HAVE to stop.
    Do you brush your teeth whilst peeing? Makes just about as much sense.
    Plus that latest study was done using Truck Drivers . There is a huge difference in what it takes to drive a 18wheeler and what it takes to drive a Car.

This is nothing but an easy way for police departments to generate revenue period . It's easy to see and easy to get reports and that makes an easy case in court for them.
    please just pull over if you need to let off a text...think about it your saving lives..
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Given that John Von Neumann enjoyed reading books while driving, I don't see why texting while driving is a problem for everyone else.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    I REALLY need a Voice Dialer - I don't text while driving as much as I try to type in a name. I have over 500 contacts, so Speed Dial doesn't work very well. Typing is fine while I'm in the office or at home, but while driving, it's a bear!
    I used to when I had a dumbphone (T9 txting) but on the Pre it is much more difficult since i have to look at the phone to type.
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Plus that latest study was done using Truck Drivers . There is a huge difference in what it takes to drive a 18wheeler and what it takes to drive a Car.

This is nothing but an easy way for police departments to generate revenue period . It's easy to see and easy to get reports and that makes an easy case in court for them.
    Yes, because the numerous accidents that have occured causing injuries and fatalities linked to texting while driving are not assosciated with it at all.

Also, the law enforcement agencies don't typically receive revenue from tickets. Secondly, cities do not regulate moving violations, states do.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    i thought that was why they made the Pre with a 1 handed key board...
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rog47776 View Post
    uh, wait...the guy in-front of me keeps slamming on the breaks...
    Hahaha............
    Quote Originally Posted by nchopp View Post
    Yes, because the numerous accidents that have occured causing injuries and fatalities linked to texting while driving are not assosciated with it at all.

Also, the law enforcement agencies don't typically receive revenue from tickets. Secondly, cities do not regulate moving violations, states do.
    Right the City and States do and who makes these Laws when they all ready have laws on the books that they could use, The City's and state's.

Don't think they are protecting you at all it's all about the Money and this is Quick easy money for them. They could get you for negligent or reckless driving just as they could for Texting but thats not bringing money in .

Give me a percentage of documented accidents caused by Texting and then give me one of those caused by just stupid driving. I bet the Stupid driving is way Higher
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Right the City and States do and who makes these Laws when they all ready have laws on the books that they could use, The City's and state's.

Don't think they are protecting you at all it's all about the Money and this is Quick easy money for them. They could get you for negligent or reckless driving just as they could for Texting but thats not bringing money in .

Give me a percentage of documented accidents caused by Texting and then give me one of those caused by just stupid driving. I bet the Stupid driving is way Higher
    Stupid Driving = Reckless Operation. And yes, that is a citable offense.

And are you saying that because you THINK stupid driving causes more accidents than texting or talking while driving, that means talking and texting while driving are safe?

Here are your statistics for cell phones and driving.

• Talking on a cell phone causes nearly 25% of car accidents.
    • One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
    • A study of dangerous driver behavior released in January 2007 by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. found that of 1,200 surveyed drivers, 73 percent talk on cell phones while driving.
    • The same 2007 survey found that 19 percent of motorists say they text message while driving.
    • In 2005, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that ten percent of drivers are on handheld or hands free cell phones at any given hour of the day.
    • A study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Motorists found that motorists who use cell phones while driving are four times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
    • In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.
    • According to the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, drivers talking on cell phones are 18 percent slower to react to brake lights. They also take 17 percent longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked.
    • An estimated 44 percent of American drivers now have cell phones in their automobiles.
    • Of cell phone users that were surveyed, 85 percent said they use their phones occasionally when driving, 30 percent use their phones while driving on the highway, and 27 percent use them during half or more of the trips they take.
    • 84 percent of cell phone users stated that they believe using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of being in an accident.
    • The majority of Americans believe that talking on the phone and texting are two of the the most dangerous behaviors that occur behind the wheel. Still, as many as 81% of drivers admit to making phone calls while driving.
    • The number of crashes and near-crashes linked to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
    • Studies have found that texting while driving causes a 400 percent increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
    I have to say that I've been so concerned about using the Pre in my car. I keep having trouble which is being very dangerous.

I love the touchscreen, I love multi-tasking, but they don't work while drive safely.

I am having trouble getting the right application to open, and then because of the multitasking, I have cards flying all over the place.

I was going to ask one of the developers to come out with an application that locks the app your in. I want to lock the phone application so that I don't accidentally bring something else up when I'm trying to make a phone call.

The Pre is definitely not a one handed phone, for me at least!

The voting should have been more broad and ask, is it dangerous to use a touchscreen and multitasking in a car while driving, that's what we should be voting on.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

well i'll tell you this,i was at a light,the guy next to me was textin or browsin,we were at the front of the line,the light changed we started to go and he just started to lane change on me,i slammed the brake and got up along side of him,the guy mouths i didnt see you,i sat there seeing him the whole time he was looking down laughing,do you know why motorcycle gloves have plastic knuckles?so we dont hurt our hands when we punch your side mirror off,his was my second

almost every wreck i've come close to had a phone involved

i do talk while driving,with the handset,but i never become unaware of things around me.and i never text.most humans are idiots,therefore there should be laws involved in this,even though they do effect thoughs of us that arent
    I will only text at a red light - but I'm not one of those people that directs all attention to the phone. I'm extra aware of what's going on around me and I always pay attention to when the light turns green (I hate the people that are on their phone and don't pay attention when the light turns).
    I find it difficult to text on the prea keyboard mostly because its too small to text accuratly and drive...
    In WA this is secondary offense, same for talking on your phone while driving. Unfortunately when you are texting while driving, look over and see a cop using his LAPTOP while driving, you just stop caring. I find myself able to type at a considerable speed with one hand using the Pre, so I rarely even have to look at what I am typing though.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast