1.    #1  
    I love the WebOS interface and find it very easy to use and navigate. But in certain instances especially when trying to navigate text on a web page/document or trying to select menu/buttons on a small screen, the touch interface can be extremely unnerving. In these cases, I keep yearning for the simplicity and ease of use of my old trusty 5-way nav pad that made the Treos soo famous and easy to use. The nav pad (particularly on palmos Treos and Centros) made one-handed navigation a breeze and made selecting and accessing menu items very easy as well....

What if something like a 5-way nav pad could be integrated into a Pre design with webOS? How? Well since the Pre has a slide out keyboard, how about integrating that into the sliding keyboard? Why not have a small 5-way nav pad on the top portion of the slide out keyboard with the keys naturally underneath it? That way you woudl have access to the 5-way nav only when you slide out the keyboard and the rest of the time you would have the normal webos finger friendly interface? When the keyboard is slide open, you could choose whichever navigation method you wanted to use, touchscreen, nav pad or both! I think it could be a great idea? Anyone else there with me on this?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I like that idea plus maybe they can make the slider rotate down for landscape support too.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    How about a key that you can press, similar to the orange key or shift key, that would turn the Y, G, H, J, and V keys into a 5 way?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    They could potentially integrate it with some advanced gestures all centered around the button on front. Swipes around the button could simulate 5 way nav.
    They should've just kept the main face buttons of the treo. Made the phone a little longer with a longer screen. That would've been sweet.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Dont have a pre yet but isn't there a large center button? Why not just put a trackball there or my favorite would be an optical mouse. I'm using a Samsung Saga now with crappy Winmo 6.1 which is far from finger friendly in many places. Other WM phones I've used needed the stylus all the time (unlike my older palm OS treo's). Anyway samsung slapped this optical mouse on the saga and i use it ALL the time- the only time i need to stylus is to use it to stick in the reset hole.
    Yeah, I think a trackball instead of the center button would've probably made the most sense.
    Isn't the ceneter button touch sensitive? If so, could it be possible to make it into a trackball via gestures on the button and maybe make tapping on the gesture area mgo to card view so center button could be pressed for select
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    Isn't the ceneter button touch sensitive? If so, could it be possible to make it into a trackball via gestures on the button and maybe make tapping on the gesture area mgo to card view so center button could be pressed for select
    No, but the area around the center button is.
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    Dont have a pre yet but isn't there a large center button? Why not just put a trackball there or my favorite would be an optical mouse. I'm using a Samsung Saga now with crappy Winmo 6.1 which is far from finger friendly in many places. Other WM phones I've used needed the stylus all the time (unlike my older palm OS treo's). Anyway samsung slapped this optical mouse on the saga and i use it ALL the time- the only time i need to stylus is to use it to stick in the reset hole.
    I was thinking the same thing. Why don't they make the button bigger and have an optical mouse. Or maybe they could keep it the same size and use a laser mouse pickup. I wonder if that could be retrofitted?
    Probably not enough depth for that. And you'd still need it integrated into the OS.
    I would not mind a 5-way key similar to the HTC Touch, it was very easy to operate and very discreet, I mean it's not big at all and the center button could double as the card-button.

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/2268/htctouchr.jpg
    we all can dream
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post

I dunno... A trackball reminds me of a blackberry? A lot people hate the trackball on those devices. Do you really think it would work on the Pre? Making the glowing button in the middle of the gesture area a trackball like button would be interesting, but that would not enable the 5-way functionality I was talking about in my original post. However it would enable another interesting navigation method...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I completely agree. I have been using a Touch Pro for a few months now and HATE the useless D-pad. I'm probably going to get a Treo Pro just for that reason. I think I could even get by with the horizontal slider if the Touch Pro had a decent D-pad.

HTC's moronic decision to do without even an awful D-pad on the TP2 is inexcusable.

It's funny how all these companies are trying to copy Apple. Once Apple releases an iPhone w/ a D-pad to encourage better gaming, it'll take HTC and everyone else a few months to go back to the past and add the D-pad back in.

A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I dunno... A trackball reminds me of a blackberry? A lot people hate the trackball on those devices. Do you really think it would work on the Pre? Making the glowing button in the middle of the gesture area a trackball like button would be interesting, but that would not enable the 5-way functionality I was talking about in my original post. However it would enable another interesting navigation method...

was just tossing the trackball out there. The mouse on the Saga is the best thing since sliced white bread. You can use it 3 ways depending on what's going on- 1) as a real "mouse" where there's an actual pointer on the screen and you can move it around by sliding around your thumb then pressing the pad to click. 2) as a d-pad- switch it to d pad mode and sliding left acts like d-pad left. Right like d-pad righ, etc. 4) as a little mini kenetic gesture area- no need to move your thumb up to the screen (not sure of the ergonomics of the pre as I dont have one)- rather you just flick your thumb on the pad and it gets kenetic on you.

and that's just what the lame Winmo os can do. I think Palm could really do something cool with such a pad besides just being a big goofy single action button. (that's what the current one does- right?)
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I'm with you. I'd love a 5-way NAV... just for easy one handed navigation and for ease in editing text. Glad I'm not the only one. In fact, it's what's stopping me from buying a pre right now.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brandobean View Post
    I'm with you. I'd love a 5-way NAV... just for easy one handed navigation and for ease in editing text. Glad I'm not the only one. In fact, it's what's stopping me from buying a pre right now.
    I agree also with some kind of navigational pad. It would help with one hand navigation which I love. Am I going backwards if I want shortcut keys too? I think the touch screen is way over rated.

I'm going out on a limb and speculating the motorola scholes will address some of these issues. WAG (wild a$$ guess)
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    I would be interested to see a Blackberry like device from Palm. WebOS + Trackball/Trackpad...I'm there. This is my first touch screen device, and the novelty has sort of worn off.