1.    #1  
    OK...I have a brand new love for this device! Last evening at around 5:30, during one of NY's now frequent and major thunderstorms, I got out of my car forgetting my Pre was in my lap. My Pre hit the ground FACE DOWN in about a half inch of water. You can only imagine my horror! As quickly as possible, I pick it up, dried it as best as possible on my shirt, and called by best friend of 28 years to tell of my unfortunate accident. Much to my surprise and joy, my Pre made the call. The only issue I had was that the earpiece volume was low, and I couldn't really hear well, even at the highest setting. My boy told me to remove the battery and let it air out, which I did for about an hour. Tried again, same problem . Here's where it gets fun...Got home, Pre went on the Touchstone like always, and it cooked as usual (you know, how it gets hot?). Had to pick it up to make a call about 15 minutes later. And.......ALAS!!! Made a call and all is perfect!!! I have to say...with all the quirky software issues that we've all been having, plus the things that are "missing" from our Treo days that made our lives so "customizable"...I have a brand new love for this thing!!! Now if I can only get the ding off the bottom of the phone. Cheers to palm for making a device that stood up to being submersed in water.
    Last edited by david10240; 07/27/2009 at 08:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I had this EXACT same thing happen to me today, EXACTLY the same thing happened, got out of car, phone fell on ground, got water on it, pulled it out dried it off and the headset speaker is very quiet. ****, mine was not in anywhere near as much water as that, just enough to get water on the face, but not around the sides.
    Last edited by Pyrex; 07/29/2009 at 07:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    HAHA I did the exact same thing and it worked! Incredible! the self-repairing phone!
    good to know, touchstone not only charges, but it also dries.
    A friend of mine had a few too many Crown & Cokes one night when he dropped his blackberry in the toilet. Another drunk told him to put it in the oven for 15 minutes as a joke but it actually worked. He had that phone for another tow years before he replaced it. I'm not sure I'd want to put that up to my face knowing where it came from but its nice to know it'll still work.
    toilet phone=fail
    I worry about carrying my treo around in my pocket when it is pouring down rain. We get a lot of thunderstorms here in St. Louis. So far no problems but I am concerned.
  8. TMJ
    another good way to dry your phone out is put it in a bag with rice. The rice
    will draw the water out of the device, works really well.
    That's cool. Maybe the touchstone boiled it off! lol
    I wouldn't have kept the phone on at all for a day though after dropping it in water. I did get my splashed on pretty terribly at the lake the other day. I thought the water was seeping into the screen but, in fact it was rolling off over the seams. Worked perfectly without a drying period.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  10. TMJ
    the phone needs to be off, i hope nobody ever has to do this but it really works wonders. Done it on my old phone, wifes and daughters and gave friends this advice as well.
    About a week ago, I bent over to flush the toilet and my phone came out of my shirt pocket. Downward it fell in slow motion... my cat-like reflexes/dumb luck allowed me to half catch, half hit the phone. I bobbled in a couple of times and then craddled it. I would have wooped an hollered, but coming from a bathroom stall... you know, that's kinda weird.
    im surprised your screen didn't crack like mine did when I simply put it in my pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by stain66 View Post
    im surprised your screen didn't crack like mine did when I simply put it in my pocket.
    Welcome to the forums. Any more helpful input? I've dropped my Pre a few times with zero damage.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Last week I fell in our pool with my 3 or 4 year old (well loved) Treo 700p in my pocket. Got out, and Treo was dead.

Took cover off, battery out, memory card out, stylus out, took screen cover off. I put them all in front of a fan for 2 days until the water that was pooled under the screen had dried out.

Then bought some Silica Gel (used for drying flowers) and buried the battery and body of the Treo in the granules and sealed it in a tupperware container.

Bought canned air, and blew out all the silica gel from all the orifices, and it now works well, phone sound is clear as a bell, and it even synced with my car bluetooth without me even resetting it.

Whew!