Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I lost it, dudes, after reading this recurring garbage:

Now, it has to be noted that the research company providing this data, JNK Wireless Consultant iGR, is said to be fairly new. But that doesn’t mean that they did a poor job in obtaining the numbers that they did. This chart comes after they completed a series of checks last week across 50 Sprint stores nationwide in top markets.

Further, they have a lot more details of what they found in their checks.
    Read the dregs here:

Probably Not The Palm Pre Chart Roger McNamee Wants To See

I looked up JNK Securities and their wireless consultants iGR. iGR is a dude named Steve who works for them. Furthermore, they get paid to do this. Gee, wonder who's paying them for this "research and analysis?" Hint: Sprint knows what they've sold so they're clearly not the ones paying for this crap.

Undoubtedly, Steve calls 50 stores. Most don't answer. Steve writes dumbassery based on minimal responses, gets bucks for doing it for JNK from whom...ooh, maybe AT&T?

"Our Consultant has been an independent analyst for over seven years, during which time he has provided analysis and consulting services related to the global telecom markets to banks, pension funds, asset managers and hedge funds in the United States, Europe, Asia and South Africa. He has also undertaken strategic consulting projects for leading global telecom companies including Vodafone, Nokia, Qualcomm, Intel, Verizon and Britsh Telecom."

...Continuous Intelligence - Our Global Telecommunications Consultant delivers customized, high-impact intelligence on the global telecom markets to help clients make informed decisions. Using a combination of primary research and in-depth competitive analysis, Steve is able to forecast worldwide market trends, and analyze business strategies, emerging technologies, vendors, and pivotal events influencing the global telecom markets."
    JNK Securities: Homepage
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Sharon, please try not to confuse this whole debate with facts or reason derived from investigative methods and techniques.

It's much better if the sky is falling.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
    Sharon, please try not to confuse this whole debate with facts or reason derived from investigative methods and techniques.

It's much better if the sky is falling.
    LOL! Unfortunately, it's not a "sky is falling" mentality that gets me. It's what I believe is deliberate misinformation fed to the "right" parties for dissemination. Then the rest of the net just picks it up, regurgitates and repeats.

On the whole, I'm really disgusted by what passes for either analysis or news these days. You'll find my comments almost anywhere you see this type of crap in their comments section. Being unemployed gives me the time to vent.

It helps.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    iGR is actually iGR (formerly iGillottResearch, named after its founder, Iain Gillott). I'm pretty sure they get funding from JNK securities to spit out this drivel. The company is based out of Texas, has two "consultants" working for them, and puts out awesome reports like "9% of people have sent a text message to end a relationship" and "42% of people use their phones in the bathroom", based on random surveys they send out. Yes, these are the types of analyst reports that really help to drive stock ratings.

This same Iain Gillott is mentioned in this 2007 ComputerWorld article, as follows:

It took Iain Gillott 47 hours to activate his iPhone after waiting in the Texas heat Friday afternoon to buy one.

He has been an AT&T Inc./Cingular Wireless customer for 12 years, so he never dreamed there would be any trouble setting up service.
    Nice analysis there, champ. Let me go start my own blog so I can get mentioned in an article too, entitled "42.7 percent of all cell phone statistics are made up on the spot."
    I don't think this is unexpected. Apple has a large existing 2/3G base of users to upgrade plus a large base of BB and other devices to convert. Palm has done a terrible job of making it easy for Treo users to upgrade, from a device standpoint. It's as if the Pre team has never seen or used a Treo (not the first time that has happened in electronics development!). Much will depend on how much Palm can get done between now and the Christmas selling season. It will be a long time before they could become equal competitors with Apple ... gww
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Funny to see this post... I had to take a smoke break to vent some steam after reading this so called "analyst report". On the bright side, my attention was just stolen by my tv as I heard "brought to you by Palm Pre" on Comedy Central as I was typing this. (:
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spike095 View Post
    iGR is actually iGR (formerly iGillottResearch, named after its founder, Iain Gillott). I'm pretty sure they get funding from JNK securities to spit out this drivel. The company is based out of Texas, has two "consultants" working for them, and puts out awesome reports like "9% of people have sent a text message to end a relationship" and "42% of people use their phones in the bathroom", based on random surveys they send out. Yes, these are the types of analyst reports that really help to drive stock ratings.

This same Iain Gillott is mentioned in this 2007 ComputerWorld article, as follows:

Nice analysis there, champ. Let me go start my own blog so I can get mentioned in an article too, entitled "42.7 percent of all cell phone statistics are made up on the spot."
    WOW, dude! How did you find this out? I consider myself pretty damn good at the google, but maybe I gave up too soon before switching my search to JNK.

Or do you recall these yokels from a previous encounter?
    I think this topic should be shut down for trolling. The link you gave is complete bs.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by splmonster View Post
    I think this topic should be shut down for trolling. The link you gave is complete bs.
    To who are you speaking?
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    WOW, dude! How did you find this out? I consider myself pretty damn good at the google, but maybe I gave up too soon before switching my search to JNK.

Or do you recall these yokels from a previous encounter?
    Quote Originally Posted by spike095 View Post

Ah, so now I can find them. iGR-inc.com via the founders name. Yeah, there's a real handy, search-friendly website for a wireless consulting group. LOL! Another FrontPage piece of work, to boot.

Okay, so it wasn't JNK's esteemed Steve who made the random phone calls, aka "channel-checking." It was either Iain or Matt!

iGR-inc.com - Research Staff
    Techcrunch have become the gutter journalists of technology. Nothing they publish is to be trusted or even to be taken seriously. They post lies and they steal. And not to mention that according to these people every phone on the planet sucks, except for the iPhone, which they post about 5 times a day.

Seriously if you want tech news you're a lot better off on other sites.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Techcrunch have become the gutter journalists of technology. Nothing they publish is to be trusted or even to be taken seriously. They post lies and they steal. And not to mention that according to these people every phone on the planet sucks, except for the iPhone, which they post about 5 times a day.

Seriously if you want tech news you're a lot better off on other sites.
    I agree with you. The problem is that they post this junk and other sites pick up on it. Even Barron's! Thus lending some sort of reputation to it via their own reputation.

I'm sick of this sort of recycled news from less than reputable places. Something needs to be done to debunk it. It affects all aspects of web reporting these days, not just tech.