Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I did a straw poll of some people I know - emailed them the Palm Pre info, videos etc

A few were medics and had Iphones - they were impressed with the Pre especially as they liked the keyboard. Some were surgeons and their main use for the Iphone was having their music on it for when they were in surgery. I asked some physicians and they said the same thing - none used the Iphone to sync.

The vast majority carried blackberries that were issued by the Hospital - they loved the sync feature and ability to pick up email but never used the phone for internet access.

They all asked is the Pre available now and whether it was available on Vodafone.

Just for the US audience in the UK Vodafone provides perhaps upwards of 80% of the hospitals in the UK with their wireless connection. o2 - who Palm have an exclusive are the biggest provide to consumers.

Couldn't Palm do a deal to sell the Pre to Vodafone for business customers only?

o2 now has the Iphone and Pre and I expect the Pre to be on an expensive monthly contract.

It's why the Nokia 5800 and N97 have outsold the Iphone in the months they have been availble because of lower price.

If Palm takes the Apple approach - high price premium product then they will not win that head to head battle - Apple has mindshare but to price it competitively against the Iphone it has the chance of shipping in volume.
    Last edited by no1smartphone; 07/21/2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    So your tiny sample straw poll of people in the UK (where the Pre is not even available) somehow indicates that Palm is losing customers hand over fist because some medical professionals are using devices that are available to them?

Can a mod delete this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    So your tiny sample straw poll of people in the UK (where the Pre is not even available) somehow indicates that Palm is losing customers hand over fist because some medical professionals are using devices that are available to them?
    I think a more accurate interpretation is he means Palm is missing the opportunity for lots of new customers, not losing existing customers. I agree the thread title is vague or misleading. But I think he is talking about a lost opportunity, not lost sales.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    ask the queen
    I'm confused. Did I misread your post? I didn't see anything about Palm losing customers.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Yea, this is by far one of the most pointless and ill-informed threads I've read on here.

Okay, so, you asked some people what they already use. How does that indicate loss of market share, particularly when the phone isn't even in the market?

Furthermore, while the medical professions are certainly an important market, they're not a complete sample of the rest of the population! This would be like making the assertion that the Jonas Brothers were the most popular music group of all time after polling a group entirely of 12 year-old girls.

I'd say leave this sort of conjecture to the analysts, but after reading on PreCentral yesterday that THEY'RE making guesses based on the things people say on a forum, I wouldn't call that a great source either. I'm sure one of them will read this thread and by tomorrow we'll see the headline "Palm Seeing Huge Losses in UK; Medical Fields Hit Hardest"
    Loving the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter
    Im sure the medical professionals could afford to purchase a personal line with a Pre on it, if they want, in addition to their BB's provided by their employer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewzer View Post
    ask the queen

I wouldnt worry about it no1smartphone... what you forget is that where iphone agreements are different because they only have one model iphone, I believe Palm will have other types of WebOS phones that wont be locked to one company and can peddle them to others in different designs.

I think that's better anyways... The Pre was a good launch vehicle for WebOS but another design/form factor may be better for Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    I think a more accurate interpretation is he means Palm is missing the opportunity for lots of new customers, not losing existing customers. I agree the thread title is vague or misleading. But I think he is talking about a lost opportunity, not lost sales.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    Ok, so how is Palm supposed to magically launch the product in the UK, when they can barely keep up with demand in the US? Furthermore, how is this guys post on here going to make any difference? You don't think Palm already knows it's losing customers every day where the Pre isn't available?
    It's just a discussion he wanted to bring up.

Ok, so how is Palm supposed to magically launch the product in the UK, when they can barely keep up with demand in the US? Furthermore, how is this guys post on here going to make any difference? You don't think Palm already knows it's losing customers every day where the Pre isn't available?
    so palm is losing customers hand over fist because they went exclusive with O2 instead of Vodafone? And O2 has more expensive plans?

Oh bullocks chap, your gonna have to spend a few quid more each month on yer tellie bill. Lotsa sprint customers had to change to a more expensive plan to get the pre...and guess what... alot did just to get it...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    With HIPAA regulations in the US, I shudder at the thought of trying to support a device such as the Pre in a healthcare environment.
    Why shudder? The system is currently in use today throughout hospitals to one degree or another. Secure Wireless networks abound. User agreements abound. If everyone plays by the rules then life will be just fine. Someone remember to password the device, setup encryption, and turn off the lights.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    With HIPAA regulations in the US, I shudder at the thought of trying to support a device such as the Pre in a healthcare environment.
    Cell phones should be the least of your concerns in a healthcare environment. There is no firewall for human stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Why shudder? The system is currently in use today throughout hospitals to one degree or another. Secure Wireless networks abound. User agreements abound. If everyone plays by the rules then life will be just fine. Someone remember to password the device, setup encryption, and turn off the lights.
    Unfortunately, the Pre doesn't have support to enforce centralized enforcement of password protection. That alone would be enough for me to not allow it to send/receive email that may have patient information on it, were I still heavily involved in heathcare IT.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Can a mod delete this thread?
    What in this thread warents deletion. He is asking a question based on what he sees.

Some people just need to take a pill, I suspect you are one of them.
  18.    #18  
    It seems I was misinterpreted on my post - which I take full responsibility. But what should be more worrying is that many posts are now being attacked upon (this is the same Apple fanboy behaviour that I and I am sure many on this forum do not like)

It seems that Palm and the Pre are beyond reproach - that certainly is a fanboy trait.
    I am in Healthcare and use my Pre. It all depends on whether or not you deal with patient info directly. Most do not. They use technology to get the data we need to take care of patients/clients, but that data is a couple of steps removed.

WM phones have been used for patient records for a long time. If Barack Obama can use his Blackberry, then a Doctor can use his Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakej View Post
    Cell phones should be the least of your concerns in a healthcare environment. There is no firewall for human stupidity.
    Huh?? Don't quite understand the statement, unless it's some sophomoric attempt at an insult.
    I spent about 7 years in IT support in the healthcare industry. Cell phone security was pretty high up the list of concerns.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast