Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. Siraris's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    It seems I was misinterpreted on my post - which I take full responsibility. But what should be more worrying is that many posts are now being attacked upon (this is the same Apple fanboy behaviour that I and I am sure many on this forum do not like)

    It seems that Palm and the Pre are beyond reproach - that certainly is a fanboy trait.
    Well, your post is being attacked because you didn't construct it appropriately from inception. If you had properly made your point in the first place, I wouldn't have attacked you. But your original post just seemed like another flame thread, saying how screwed Palm is.

    On top of that, your "opinion" is obvious. I understand that you want to share your opinion, but do you think that anyone from Palm sales and marketing is not aware of this issue, and has been for months now? I cannot think of a more common sense argument than "If your product is not for sale, you are losing sales". That's like saying if you are not in the theater, you are missing out on the film.

    I'm all for intelligent, rational discussion, but to me, a forum is a place to discuss important, relevant issues, and help others; not for people to air their personal opinions on what a company should/shouldn't do. If you want to do that, maybe you should look into starting a blog.
  2. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #22  
    another fail thread. i agree. delete this nonsense.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    ...
    WM phones have been used for patient records for a long time. If Barack Obama can use his Blackberry, then a Doctor can use his Pre.
    As you mentioned, it's all dependent on whether or not they put identifiable patient information on them.

    It's interesting that you brought that up though. I'm going to go ahead and veer a little off topic here, just because it's interesting.

    I was in Healthcare IT support until about 4 months ago (for about 7 of the last 9 years), and now I work for a contractor with the government. I got to talk to the one person in charge of the BlackBerries for the branch I work for, and he gave some interesting information about how President Obama's use of it affected us.

    The device finally approved for him was specially hardened. Now, all of the users in our branch have to give up their old Treo's, and the new hardened BBs are the only devices approved to connect to our systems (I didn't ask, but I suspect ours aren't as hardened as the President's). After over 4 months, I'm still waiting on mine.

    However, the government's paranoia about the use of PDA's is "self-induced". In other words, it's their own IT departments that are mandating the security. In the healthcare industry, it's fear of violating the maze of HIPAA regulations that propel the IT departments to implement the measures they do.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    It seems I was misinterpreted on my post - which I take full responsibility. But what should be more worrying is that many posts are now being attacked upon (this is the same Apple fanboy behaviour that I and I am sure many on this forum do not like)

    It seems that Palm and the Pre are beyond reproach - that certainly is a fanboy trait.
    What you said didn't make sense is the issue. The Pre isn't quite ready yet to even be in a corporate environment. Maybe a couple software updates, and hardware revisions. As of now it's a great consumer device.

    Your doctor friends might be a little annoyed if their battery just dies during surgery.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  5. ION-q's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
    So your tiny sample straw poll of people in the UK (where the Pre is not even available) somehow indicates that Palm is losing customers hand over fist because some medical professionals are using devices that are available to them?

    Can a mod delete this thread?
    Seconded, thirded, and fourthed even.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    What you said didn't make sense is the issue. The Pre isn't quite ready yet to even be in a corporate environment. Maybe a couple software updates, and hardware revisions. As of now it's a great consumer device.

    Your doctor friends might be a little annoyed if their battery just dies during surgery.
    I want another doctor if he is on his Pre whilst doing surgery.
  7. #27  
    Is there a point to this pointless thead?
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I want another doctor if he is on his Pre whilst doing surgery.
    I was referring to his comment about the surgeon using his iphone just to listen to music while in surgery. Which also was a bit weird to me. :P
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  9. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As you mentioned, it's all dependent on whether or not they put identifiable patient information on them.

    It's interesting that you brought that up though. I'm going to go ahead and veer a little off topic here, just because it's interesting.

    I was in Healthcare IT support until about 4 months ago (for about 7 of the last 9 years), and now I work for a contractor with the government. I got to talk to the one person in charge of the BlackBerries for the branch I work for, and he gave some interesting information about how President Obama's use of it affected us.

    The device finally approved for him was specially hardened. Now, all of the users in our branch have to give up their old Treo's, and the new hardened BBs are the only devices approved to connect to our systems (I didn't ask, but I suspect ours aren't as hardened as the President's). After over 4 months, I'm still waiting on mine.

    However, the government's paranoia about the use of PDA's is "self-induced". In other words, it's their own IT departments that are mandating the security. In the healthcare industry, it's fear of violating the maze of HIPAA regulations that propel the IT departments to implement the measures they do.
    I think this goes to point out the shoot first ask questions later knee jerk reaction of most IT security (healthcare or not). They think first about the technology and secondly about education and quality processes.

    In any company dealing with HIPAA, PHI, and PII you want to err on the side of caution. That means very simply not putting PHI or PII in e-mail or in portable documents that can be easily shared, printed, or lost. Instead you e-mail a reference to a hosted app behind a firewall that can access that information and log the viewer's access for auditing and also restrict unauthorized viewers. You don't want patient's records floating around on devices that are easily lost or stolen like PDA's, phones, and laptops. That's never a good idea. There are products that help with things like this, like Tumbleweed, that detects potential PHI/PII delivery patterns and stores the e-mail on a secured server requiring login before access. These are all things that the Pre or most any web enabled smart phone could do today.

    One problem in dealing with the government on such issues is that companies often take suggestions as demands and so, in trying to keep the contract, take draconian measures above and beyond the "suggestion" by the government. Then the government sees the steps that have been taken and wonder if they shouldn't either make that standard practice for ALL contracts or go even a step further, just in case. And that's the way it all spirals into chaos.
  10. #30  
    Since this thread is a general discussion about possible international markets, it has been moved to the Palm General Chat forum.

    - Craig
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions