Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    For those of you referencing your own personal experiences to validate this article, please refer to the following dictionary entry:

Main Entry:

an·ec·dot·al
    Pronunciation:

\ˌa-nik-ˈdō-təl\
    Function:

adjective
    Date:

1 a: of, relating to, or consisting of anecdotes <an anecdotal biography> b: anecdotic 2 <my anecdotal uncle>

2: based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers <anecdotal evidence>

3: of, relating to, or being the depiction of a scene suggesting a story <anecdotal details>
    Seems like everyone commenting here is ignoring that the guy also said the stores are saying that they are getting 1 in 3 Pres returned. even that seems like a very high number. I know I have returned 3 of 3 Pres for various reasons. It's a nice O.S., but the hardware? Not so sure...
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    What are key components? I have a phone. It works for calls, sms, e-mail, and web. I use all of these more than I did with my Treo, because it's so integrated and user friendly. The alerts are non-intrusive and I know I have e-mails w/o going into my e-mail app.
    I think he means the lack of key hardware components to construct the phones (ie. wifi radios, 3g radios, etc.)

Although if there is any lack of components i think it was purposely done to drive up demand. With the way plants are today, there is rarely ever any reason to have a real shortage.
    Personally, I think the Precentral folks should at the very least send a strongly worded letter demanding the analyst take the site's name off that sick joke of an analyst's press release. What nonsense!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfJonathan View Post
    Personally, I think the Precentral folks should at the very least send a strongly worded letter demanding the analyst take the site's name off that sick joke of an analyst's press release. What nonsense!
    "In addition, ” Impromptu questioning of managers of local retailers (Sprint (S), Best Buy (BBY) and Radio Shack (RSH)) indicated that about one in three devices is being returned.”"
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    nonsense! me and 4 friends love pre
    From my personal acquaintances and experiences that report is not surprising. Not including myself, I know eight people that have bought a Pre. Guess how many of them still own it. Zero. I don't either. It's a beautiful OS boxed up in the most defective cheap hardware possible. This phone isn't built for even below-average mobile phone wear & tear. Not to mention the radio in it is extremely weak. If it works for you then more power to yah, but I have a feeling there are a lot of Pre-fans in denial.

I'll be waiting for the next WebOS phone. I hope it's sooner than later and I hope it's built better than the Pre because I LOVED WebOS. Hands down the best software on a phone I've ever used.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    It does seem possible to me, as much as I hate to say so. We have 3 pre's on a bus. line 2 of which we had no problems with. The third however had to be replaced twice. First time because of weak wifi and second time due to phone freezing solid after partial reset when stuck in no signal. Third try seems to be going good so far, knock on wood. I have had very little problems with mine, just the loose battery prob. I now have an emergancy dollar with me at all times lol.
    The analyst probably has a point, but seriously ... he is making a recommendation based on a poll from an Internet forum? lulz.

How do these people get jobs? I turn on CNBC in the morning and the amount of stupidity pouring out of the TV screen just amazes me. Every time.
    i dont understand...the rate seems really high. i haven't return mine at all. no problems.
    i have had 5 Blackberries, which could do not what this phone could do. there is a new battery out, and new os is about to come out. give the thing some time!!!
    FOLLOW ME
    http://twitter.com/TeckieGirl
    TeckieGirl Official website
    [url]http://www.TeckieGirl.com
    Coming from someone who is on his third Pre, I would agree, this guys is nuts. Anyone who makes any conclusions about the return-rate of a product based in any part on data gathered from an internet forum has simply lost their mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordus View Post
    Heres a good question.

Why the hell would someone whos had and returned 5 palm pres still be posting on this forum?

Get a life.
    Because the OS rocks and we love the phone and we WANT palm to succeed even though the hardware SUCKS. Sometimes your family yells the loudest because they care the most. When the Pre works it is, "what I have waited for."

I am on number 4 myself...all major issues. I don't care about little software flaws but when issues like reception come up and kill the smart PHONE, then I exchange it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienyc View Post
    Seems like everyone commenting here is ignoring that the guy also said the stores are saying that they are getting 1 in 3 Pres returned. even that seems like a very high number. I know I have returned 3 of 3 Pres for various reasons. It's a nice O.S., but the hardware? Not so sure...
    Actually, that's not what he said, and it's "intepretations" such as yours that are the problem with articles such as this. Or rather, I should say that the problem with articles such as this is that they tend to lead to intepretations such as yours.

Not trying to pick on you, but yours is a perfect example.

Here's what the article said:
    Impromptu questioning of managers of local retailers (Sprint (S), Best Buy (BBY) and Radio Shack (RSH))
    and here's how you (apparently) interpreted it:
    the stores are saying that they are getting 1 in 3 Pres returned
    In reality, it was managers of local retailers, not "the stores" in general. I know that sounds pickey, but it really is important. Managers tend to remember the returns more than the sales. In addition, it was only the stores local to him, which undoubtedly is a small sampling. In addition to that, it was only the stores that responded to his impromptu questioning. Finally, it was the author's intepretation of the analyst's writing of all of the above (the article was not a first person account).

I hope you get my point.

Bottom line, it's anectdotal.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    That was originally posted on the google finance forums. The person who posted it was adamant that he had "proven" that the return rate was 35%. Everyone else that knew anything at all about statistics showed that the error rate was higher than the percentage, which made the entire statistic meaningless. Not to mention that it wasn't a random sample, it was from a forum that people who had returned a pre were more likely to vote than those who hadn't.

As far as the question of what key componants are, that would be LCD screens, memory, processor, keyboards, and in general anything that is required to make the phone. The company that Palm hires to make the phone purchases all the individual componants and puts them together into a phone. If there is a shortage on any piece, it will slow down production and cause shortages. It's a very common thing in electronics manufacturing. It's usually one of the most common reasons for shortages of products.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    What are key components? I have a phone. It works for calls, sms, e-mail, and web. I use all of these more than I did with my Treo, because it's so integrated and user friendly. The alerts are non-intrusive and I know I have e-mails w/o going into my e-mail app.
    I think you read this out of context. The post I was responding to asked what "type of manufacturing issues exist that would not affect the quality and build of the device?" that could cause a delay. My answer was "key components". I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember that there was a rumored shortage on the LCD screens, and that caused a crimp in the initial runs.
    I got my PRE last week from Best Buy. No problems at all! I asked the salesman there how many they had had returned and they said "Not a single one". I love my phone.
    They're probably taking these exchanges and giving quite a few of them right back. I hope so, cause I wouldn't doubt a big percentage of these so called bad Pres (those without any obvious hardware flaws or course) are actually good units with defective users.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Because the OS rocks and we love the phone and we WANT palm to succeed even though the hardware SUCKS. Sometimes your family yells the loudest because they care the most. When the Pre works it is, "what I have waited for."

I am on number 4 myself...all major issues. I don't care about little software flaws but when issues like reception come up and kill the smart PHONE, then I exchange it.
    I can see his point. When I read that someone has returned their Pre 3-5 times, I'm thinking one of two things: a. Some people have serious OC issues, and yes, should get a life, or b. The people are fine and the Pre doesn't just suck, it sucks BADLY. Either way, good intentions/wishes aside, when a product is being returned that many times, the company that makes it is doomed. At this point, the word on the net is now that the Pre sucks, and even if Palm improves build quality, that'll be hard to overcome. Ironically, one of the Pre's premier fan sites (this one) may have done more to hurt the product than anyone else ever could have :/
    His analysis is based on a poll on this forum. Haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by TVMA View Post
    Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

--Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast