Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    do your homework BEFORE buying the Pre. No one is holding a gun to your head to buy it. If you have specific requirements, FIND OUT IF THE PHONE HAS THOSE FEATURES! You only have yourselves to blame if you whine about a missing feature. I could see how, if you were in the emergency room, needing a stent for your heart, that you don't have time to check out the specifications and reliability of the stent. But that's not the case here. You have the internet to freely research your phone choice(s). Use it. If the phone doesn't do what you want, look at alternatives or simply wait until another model hits the market. If you really, really need a phone immediately, buy it and return it in 30 days if you still don't like it. The chances of anyone being sympathetic to a poor buying decision is close to NIL. My sympathy is reserved for those who did their research and the phone had issues not generally reported in the media or on forums. When the purchaser did their due diligence, I can relate to their frustrations. For those who dive in blindly, remember the old saying, "let the buyer beware".
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Amen!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    ^^^
    or A(wo)men
    Perfectly Written, Now stop Whining!!
    Another 'Stop Whining' thread...

Most people DO NOT become members until they HAVE the Pre. So half of your rant is useless. The other half can be addressed by ignoring those who do. Now, let me say that I am in your boat and would think that people who are considering a purchase would do some due dilligence and research. But we all know the majority of people who will buy the Pre now (after us fanboys, tech savvy, geeks, whatever) will be those who are lured by the Sprint salesmen, commercials, and our opinions (3 people who are non-geeks have gotten the Pre on my recommendation). I fully warned all 3 about the lack of apps, small quibbles and big issues, but they didnt go online to research for themselves. They join a forum to get knowledge, and even though its annoying, we have to oblige. When they whine because of 'x', then you can ignore them. If they troll, then report them.

But to keep you from being like them, you shouldnt whine about them whining.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    do your homework BEFORE buying the Pre. ....
    This is great advice, but there will always be people who see a phone and buy it on a whim. As the Pre becomes more available, we'll start seeing more of this. BUT ...

... PLEASE, AT LEAST DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING !!!

The above advice holds in just about any forum/newsgroup. In the case of expensive phones, 1812dave's "do your homework" advice is spot on. You really should buy the some type of accidental damage protection insurance too. Hopefully you won't have to use it, but $7/month on Sprint (and presumably a similar price on other/future carriers). Good luck with your new phone. We also look forward to your contributions here.

--
    Bob (not a moderator or anything, just a longtime member here)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I definitely agree with your post. I also do not whine because I am absolutely in love with my Pre.

But...

Isn't this just an aggressive bait thread with very little relevance?

I'm not trying to be confrontational... Just sayin'.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    You know, your advice is good. So good, in fact, that I believe sprint as well as other carriers should mandate IQ tests before they can purchase a phone. If they don't meet a certain score, then they should be denied the phone.

I believe that would solve all the whining since it would weed out those who aren't as smart as everyone else in researching to the nth degree the product that choose based on marketing alone.

Seriously, we do not live in a Brave New World where everyone knows their place, and if the forget, can take a happy pill to remind them. While it would be ideal for everyone to the research, sometimes people don't know the question to ask and only find out afterwards something doesn't work the way their experience taught them.

Everyone deserves compassion, well, except maybe for the fan boys who find nothing wrong with anything. ;P But I do appreciate, like the people who let others know they shouldn't speak up.
    Last edited by Clack; 07/22/2009 at 12:46 AM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post

Most people DO NOT become members until they HAVE the Pre. So half of your rant is useless. The other half can be addressed by ignoring those who do. Now, let me say that I am in your boat and would think that people who are considering a purchase would do some due dilligence and research. But we all know the majority of people who will buy the Pre now (after us fanboys, tech savvy, geeks, whatever) will be those who are lured by the Sprint salesmen, commercials, and our opinions (3 people who are non-geeks have gotten the Pre on my recommendation). I fully warned all 3 about the lack of apps, small quibbles and big issues, but they didnt go online to research for themselves. They join a forum to get knowledge, and even though its annoying, we have to oblige. When they whine because of 'x', then you can ignore them. If they troll, then report them.

But to keep you from being like them, you shouldnt whine about them whining.
    You DO realize you are whining about my whining about the whiners, right?? BTW, I didn't report anyone--I simply gave my opinion on the uselessness of buying something that doesn't fit one's needs and then endlessly and dramatically whining incessantly about that something.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Is there a message board out there that PreCentral should model themselves after? PreCentral is a pretty small and easy to skim through community so I'm not sure why so many people feel it is their duty to control a discussion board. These boards already have moderators and if they don't declare a discussion to be off-topic then why should anyone else?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I have done my homework and I understand that there are not many apps and WebOS is in its infancy. I do however do not expect my phone's screen to crack for no good reason, my phone to twist liek an "oreo" or my battery to die within 5 hours. Just because someone else experiences these issues and I know that it does not make it acceptable to happen to me. I won't be surprised and start a new thread about it, but I won't be happy either.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post

Most people DO NOT become members until they HAVE the Pre. So half of your rant is useless.
    ACTUALLY..people do surf forums before they buy products.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewzer View Post
    I have done my homework and I understand that there are not many apps and WebOS is in its infancy. I do however do not expect my phone's screen to crack for no good reason, my phone to twist liek an "oreo" or my battery to die within 5 hours. Just because someone else experiences these issues and I know that it does not make it acceptable to happen to me. I won't be surprised and start a new thread about it, but I won't be happy either.
    All three things happened to you??

Also, "OREO" affect is BS... NON ISSUE...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphemz View Post
    I was definitely here before I got my Pre, salivating.
  15.    #15  
    yup! I never update my iPods until I've seen lots of posts of success and very few complaints on an OS upgrade. Currently, 3.0 for iphone/Touch is a pile of dog doo doo, and it boggles my mind when people "jump off the cliff" to update on the first day, only to have their product become a "brick". That's exactly what's happened to countless iPhone/Touch owners. and for those that have a functional Touch following the update, "functional" needs to be defined as "it turns on, and does a few things, but nothing well, can't connect to wifi anymore, or has worse battery life, to name a few issues". Being an early adopter is not my cuppa tea.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    All three things happened to you??

Also, "OREO" affect is BS... NON ISSUE...
    None of those thing have happened to me yet. My Pre is being delivered tomorrow so I don't have it yet. (Bought it through my corporate policy and rep.)

The oreo issue is real, read the forums.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    OK you guys are really taking it too far. Like I've said everyone has the right to complain as a consumer. It seems like the excitement over this phone is so great your more tolerant of it's shortcomings...

So if I complain about lack of LED notifications, forwarding of text, just the basic things lacking that even non smart phones have then I have every right.

No where was it documented that those things were missing. But hey I can be patient, at the same time if Sprint and Palm are quick to take my money for the device and service they should quickly address the consumers concerns....
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    OK you guys are really taking it too far. Like I've said everyone has the right to complain as a consumer. It seems like the excitement over this phone is so great your more tolerant of it's shortcomings...

So if I complain about lack of LED notifications, forwarding of text, just the basic things lacking that even non smart phones have then I have every right.

No where was it documented that those things were missing. But hey I can be patient, at the same time if Sprint and Palm are quick to take my money for the device and service they should quickly address the consumers concerns....
    First line of defense is the 30-day money back guarantee.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post

Agreed... you do have the right. The point is that multiple new threads are created to complain about the same thing, everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattickus View Post
    I was definitely here before I got my Pre, salivating.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    yup! I never update my iPods until I've seen lots of posts of success and very few complaints on an OS upgrade. Currently, 3.0 for iphone/Touch is a pile of dog doo doo, and it boggles my mind when people "jump off the cliff" to update on the first day, only to have their product become a "brick". That's exactly what's happened to countless iPhone/Touch owners. and for those that have a functional Touch following the update, "functional" needs to be defined as "it turns on, and does a few things, but nothing well, can't connect to wifi anymore, or has worse battery life, to name a few issues". Being an early adopter is not my cuppa tea.
    We, who join forums to research a product, are in the minority. Therefore, what I say is true.

BTW, I am not whining. I was hopefully encouraging members who are whining to stop whining because its useless. People will continue to buy devices based on heresay, sales persons, and commercials. And then they will flood communities like Precentral.net hoping for a good reception.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast