1.    #1  
    listen all i want on my pre is these great homebrewed apps and i cant figure this out i followed step by step and nothing works i can jailbreak iphones and many other things but can figure this out i love my pre and i want all these great apps please some1 help me and tell me what to do exactly i followed the guide and i get all these errors and i dont even know how to download the apps can some1 give me step by step instructions and explain this better i dont know if any1 had an iphone but u can watch videos on youtube i searched but no1 made one for the pre and im running on a brand new laptop with xp i dnt know what the problem is
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    First, understand that there are two (and a half) methods for installing homebrewed apps. The first is "rooting" and I don't recommend that unless you're willing to accept the risks and understand that it's more difficult.

The second is the "SDK method." I use this and have no problems with. Of course, results may vary depends on your desktop OS. You say you have XP, so I don't think there will be an issue (unless you're doing this in a corporate environment where there are restrictions on your computer).

The third (what I called "and a half") is the GUI tool. This is a little easier than the SDK method, but still requires some additional steps (like putting your device in developer mode) and can still fail to work depending on your desktop OS.

What I suggest is that you post an account of what you did, including the errors you're receiving. Without that, no one can help you.

"i dont even know how to download the apps"

This, right here, is a problem. What browser do you use? For me, I use Firefox. I right click on the link in someone's post and pick "Save Link As..." Then puts the ipk file on my desktop.

Pardon me saying this, but if you don't even know how to save a link to your computer, you might not be savvy enough to deal with the complexities of installing a homebrew app, much less the risk involved. I don't mean to pick on you, but even with the GUI installer, this still isn't something that's fool-proof.

I might suggest that you wait until there is a clean mechanism for doing this that doesn't require any tech savvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks View Post
    listen all i want on my pre is these great homebrewed apps and i cant figure this out i followed step by step and nothing works i can jailbreak iphones and many other things but can figure this out i love my pre and i want all these great apps please some1 help me and tell me what to do exactly i followed the guide and i get all these errors and i dont even know how to download the apps can some1 give me step by step instructions and explain this better i dont know if any1 had an iphone but u can watch videos on youtube i searched but no1 made one for the pre and im running on a brand new laptop with xp i dnt know what the problem is
    I think you need to give it some time. The Pre is still so new that a lot of things haven't come together in a nice fancy, easy to use way just yet. Some people on here are working on creating a desktop side loading installer to make this easy, and hopefully there is a more official way to do such things in future Palm updates (since Palm isn't going to block non-app catalog programs, supposedly). You can try to follow the directions in the homebrew section of this forum, but personally the GUI way confused me so I just rooted and install via Putty.
    First, you need to learn how to use punctuation. That screed is so hard to read I just gave up.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have been using the SDK method for a couple of days now on a Vista machine and it has been working fine. Like what squeff Said you need to post what you are experiencing so we can attempt to help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrooks View Post
    Wow.

I try not to be pedantic on forums, but your written communication style is atrocious...bordering on unintelligible. I can't imagine that you will be very successful down the road if you believe that style of prose is an acceptable form of communication. I suggest that you read these three books before you waste another minute trying to hack phones:

Amazon.com: Woe Is I: The Grammarphobe's Guide to Better English in Plain English, Second Edition: Patricia T. O'Conner: Books

Amazon.com: Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation: Lynne Truss: Books

Amazon.com: The Gregg Reference Manual: William Sabin: Books

Once again, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your OP is just plain ridiculous.

Good luck with whatever you were asking.

cheers,
    Steve
    You also posted this in the wrong forum...
    This tutorial should explain everything you need to do.