Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Palm Pre created business/marketing advantage for T-Mobile

I find this interesting in light of the problems Sprint and Palm are having with the Pre build quality:

Apparently, T-mobile will offer a two year warrenty for the phone for $29.99 with a 2 year contract. And the warrenty will do instore replacements.

This is something that Sprint/Palm should be doing for the Pre rather than a TEP. It would go a long way to reversing the damage that the Build quality has done to the phone.

It's nice to see how competition works.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Well, Sprint does offer $7/month insurance for the Pre. While that's not nearly the deal that T-Mobile is offering, it's something. Moreover, a good warranty is only useful if you actually like a phone enough to buy it. While T-Mobile has excellent customer service and competitive pricing, they don't have a whole lot of desirable phones. I bought a Treo 600 from T-Mobile six years ago and a G1 last year. But every other phone I ever owned while I was on T-Mobile was an unlocked phone which I bought with money out of my own pocket. And I did this largely because I didn't like any of their offerings. Two phones worth buying (for me) in almost ten years is not a huge advantage for T-Mobile.
    Last edited by DarthRepublican; 07/09/2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: trying to improve grammar
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Well, Sprint does offer $7/month insurance for the Pre. While that's not nearly the deal that T-Mobile is offering, it's something. Moreover, a good warranty is only useful if you actually like a phone enough to buy it. While T-Mobile has excellent customer service and competitive pricing, they don't have a whole lot of desirable phones. I bought a Treo 600 from T-Mobile six years ago and a G1 last year. But every other phone I ever owned while I was on T-Mobile was an unlocked phone which I bought with money out of my own pocket. And I did this largely because I didn't like any of their offerings. Two phones worth buying (for me) in almost ten years is not a huge advantage for T-Mobile.
    The reason I posted this was not to slam Sprint. But rather to point out Sprint's compitetors are offering a superior service.

Sprint will continue to offer a "just good enough" approach so long as you the consumer does not demand (and negotiate) better.

Sprint does need to do better in both its customer service and in its comeptitiveness with the industry.

I have been with sprint Sprint for 7 years and I am tired of signing 2 year contracts and taking a chance the phone I purchase will last that long.

Anyway, there are better deals out there and the HTC does have better build quailty than the Palm Pre. That T-Mobile is backing the myToucuh with a flat-rate warrenty like that just sets the bar higher and I want Sprint to follow suit.

I work hard for my money and I expect the business I spend it on work hard for it too.
    Last edited by Clack; 07/09/2009 at 12:53 PM.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    The reason I posted this was not to slam Sprint. But rather to point out Sprint's compitetors are offering a superior service.

Sprint will continue to offer a "just good enough" approach so long as you the consumer does not demand (and negotiate) better.

Sprint does need to do better in both its customer service and in its comeptitiveness with the industry.

I have been with sprint Sprint for 7 years and I am tried of signing 2 year contracts and taking a chance the phone I purchase will last that long.

Anyway, there are better deals out there and the HTC does have better build quailty than the Palm Pre. That T-Mobile is backing it with a warrenty like that just sets the bar higher and I want Sprint to follow suit.
    WARRANTY no E thanks And I agree with you.

I find this interesting in light of the problems Sprint and Palm are having with the Pre build quality:

Apparently, T-mobile will offer a two year warrenty for the phone for $29.99 with a 2 year contract. And the warrenty will do instore replacements.

This is something that Sprint/Palm should be doing for the Pre rather than a TEP. It would go a long way to reversing the damage that the Build quality has done to the phone.

Can you point me to the details on this warranty thing, I'm mainly interested in what's covered but there may be more to it than just that. I google searched but don't see anything tied to t-mobiles site. I also called them and they told me they don't have anything like that but have insurance with a monthly fee and $130 deductible for smartphones. The rep did refer me to checking out BillShrink to see if I could find someone offering a good coverage deal. The rep also said that the 29.99 thing is probably a 3rd party like the store you buy the device from. Which it very well could be since places like best buy offer one time fee replacement plans type things.

But that warranty doesn't cover accidental damage or loss/theft. Can you even get comparable insurance with Tmobile?
    Well, T-Mobile sells generally well made phones. I don't know who's the klutz assembling Pre's for Palm, but HTC, Danger, Motorola and RIM have been doing this for a while, and their phones are generally simpler. I'd say T-Mobile has little to worry about, they may end up with a tidy profit.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Did someone say that Sprint needs to be more competitive? I have four lines with 500 minutes each, unlimited high speed data, and unlimited texts. All minutes are free after 7 p.m. Each line is $30 per month. Seems pretty competitive to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    But that warranty doesn't cover accidental damage or loss/theft. Can you even get comparable insurance with Tmobile?
    I was guessing that it didn't but that was why I was asking for full details on the warranty thing. If you look back before your post to see my previous post I indicated the insurance plan T-mobile offers it is basically the same but higher deductable and they told me the warranty thing is not something they provide and indicated it must be the point of purchase company that is offering that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Did someone say that Sprint needs to be more competitive? I have four lines with 500 minutes each, unlimited high speed data, and unlimited texts. All minutes are free after 7 p.m. Each line is $30 per month. Seems pretty competitive to me.
    In the 12 years I have been with sprint I have never been able to beat the deal I was getting with sprint with any of the other carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    I was guessing that it didn't but that was why I was asking for full details on the warranty thing. If you look back before your post to see my previous post I indicated the insurance plan T-mobile offers it is basically the same but higher deductable and they told me the warranty thing is not something they provide and indicated it must be the point of purchase company that is offering that.
    Interesting. I somehow completely missed your post. I did notice that looking on Verizon's site they have TEP (from Asurion!) for $6 per month and only an $89 deductible. I guess Sprint is right in the middle of the pack then (ATT doesnt even offer it).
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    Interesting. I somehow completely missed your post. I did notice that looking on Verizon's site they have TEP (from Asurion!) for $6 per month and only an $89 deductible. I guess Sprint is right in the middle of the pack then (ATT doesnt even offer it).
    There used to be a $5 with $50 deductible from sprint. The monthly premium went up to $7 with $50 and just resently for smartphones went to the $100. I am assuming that the rates and deductibles are like other insurance and based on how many claims are made by everyone. I know you can insure eelectronics with other providers outside the one sprint goes with. If anyone know of one with much lower deductibles and offers same coverage for about the same per month premium I'd like to check out alternatives. In the mean time as long as it cost more than the premium and the deductible to replace it I will keep the insurance through sprint.
    Stupid post - its a 600$ smartphone you buy the coverage. Its simply a no brainer. and its not sprints price its a diffrent company that sprint contracts to do it... and i wouldnt be suprised if sprint really didnt get much of a cut if any from that deal
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Where did you get this info? Is it the US T-Mobile or German one?
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twigg View Post
    Where did you get this info? Is it the US T-Mobile or German one?
    It's on the T-Mobile Forums. I forgot the exact link.

Customers have the option of purchasing an extended Warrenty (that was clarified since I posted) for $30 dollars for up to 2 years against manufacturing defects for instore replacement.

The Assurion none-sense, however, still must be purchased for theft or accidental damage (including water).
    tep covers everything. as long as its not lost/stolen, physical damage, or wet, it is covered no charge in the store. asurion makes the pricing for deductibles on the others. 50 for non smartphones, and 100 for smartphones. what would you rather pay 100 to replace your pre or the full price if you drop it into water??