1.    #1  
    I know, all you folks living in major metropolitan areas are OK with a phone that uses only GSM or CDMA, but out here in the sticks we lose digital services if we go five miles in any direction. Heck, we'll finally get GSM about the same time the rest of the country moves on to something better. So why can't Handspring or Airprime include analog access for people like us? No analog capability is a deal-killer for me, and probably for a lot of other potential buyers as well. Is the technology so difficult? If something the size of a Motorola StarTAC can be dual-band, why not a Treo or Airprime SB3000?
    I'd have thought adding analogue capabilities is pretty pointless.

Sure, there are lots of parts of the US that are pretty undeveloped in a cellphone sense, but outside the US things are pretty much all GSM, and the chipsets for that sort of things are very readily available.

That, I suspect, will have a large factor in the design of any piece of equipment like this. There are hundreds of millions of people in the GSM marketplaces, many of whom are already familiar with the sort of concepts found in the Treo.

Frankly, if I were designing a piece of kit like this, I'd be hard pushed to be bothered about the US market at all. You may be a big country, but in cellphone terms, you're not terribly relevant right now.

Nigel.
    Doesn't analog impose limitations on the type of data that can be sent (i.e. no web browsing or email)?
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    If you don't have any digital service then you really can't use the TREO as it was ment to. No web browsing, no IM and no e-mail. I wouldn't want to spend $400 on a unit that doesn't go on-line. I would rather get a free phone w/ a carrier and use a regular visor for contact info.
    Son mis dos centados!
    They chose GSM because

1) It's a worldwide -standard
    2) It is not power hungry at all
    3) Easily upgradable to GPRS
    4) They've done it before
    5) In the US, I believe it covers the widest possible area.

Why not analog?

1) Expensive!
    2) Power Hungry
    3) No data (well, i think you can cobble something together, but it would be SLOW, further exacerbating the cost)

...and there you are. HS don't care none for y'all in them sticks. Y'all kin jus holla outta yo pickup truck if'n ya wanna talk tuh each other.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    [...] 5) In the US, I believe it covers the widest possible area.
    No, that would be analog. The GSM coverage in the US is pathetic.
    Why not analog?

1) Expensive!
    According to whom?
    2) Power Hungry
    That is a valid point.
    3) No data (well, i think you can cobble something together, but it would be SLOW, further exacerbating the cost)
    Ahem...CDPD is mainly an _analog_ service. Using a modem over an analog cellphone also isn't much slower than the currently available GSM speeds. 9600-14400 is typical here.
    ...and there you are. HS don't care none for y'all in them sticks. Y'all kin jus holla outta yo pickup truck if'n ya wanna talk tuh each other.
    I hope Jeff Hawkins will remember...a southern man don't need him around anyhow.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    No, that would be analog. The GSM coverage in the US is pathetic.
    I'm talking worldwide
    According to whom?
    In my experience, analog rates run 2-4 times more expensive than digital rates. In terms of the cost of the phone, I think they're close enough to not really make all that much of a difference.
    Ahem...CDPD is mainly an _analog_ service. Using a modem over an analog cellphone also isn't much slower than the currently available GSM speeds. 9600-14400 is typical here.
    right. Ok. I didn't know if anybody was offering analog data services. dumb me.
    I hope Jeff Hawkins will remember...a southern man don't need him around anyhow.
    Sweet Home ...Prism. Where the paint is so blue! Sweet Home ....Prism. Lord, I'm comin' home to hue.
    I'm talking worldwide
    OK, but since the US GSM uses a different spectrum, I don't see how the other spectrums would enter into it. OTOH, I'm not sure how much extra is required to do each band. IOW, it would only make a difference if there was very little additional hardware necessary to cover each additional GSM band. Otherwise, a world GSM/800MHz analog phone would seem to be the widest solution.
    In my experience, analog rates run 2-4 times more expensive than digital rates. In terms of the cost of the phone, I think they're close enough to not really make all that much of a difference.
    OK, you seemed to be referring more to the latter, hence my question.
    right. Ok. I didn't know if anybody was offering analog data services. dumb me.
    Nah...at worst ignorant.
    Sweet Home ...Prism. Where the paint is so blue! Sweet Home ....Prism. Lord, I'm comin' home to hue.
    Actually, I'm probably more likely wind up in the world of Neo within the near future. Calling for a replacement Edge which will wind up on Amazon's used section.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    OK, but since the US GSM uses a different spectrum, I don't see how the other spectrums would enter into it. OTOH, I'm not sure how much extra is required to do each band. IOW, it would only make a difference if there was very little additional hardware necessary to cover each additional GSM band. Otherwise, a world GSM/800MHz analog phone would seem to be the widest solution.
    If the VisorPhone is any indication, it must be fairly simple to make a worldphone. I agree that a GSM 800/1900/analog phone is ideal.
    Actually, I'm probably more likely wind up in the world of Neo within the near future.
    Why not Pro?
  10.    #10  

If the VisorPhone is any indication, it must be fairly simple to make a worldphone. I agree that a GSM 800/1900/analog phone is ideal.

Why not Pro?
    Well, that brings me back to my original question. Why not just include the analog circuitry and make the phones useful for all of us who don't yet have access to GSM? Or consistent access to CDMA?

Hello? Handspring? Surely I'm not alone.

By the way, I'm in southern Oregon (Ashland), not the southern US. An jus' in case y'all thank we're a buncha ignorant hicks out'ere, I'm sending this here message via a 3.5 MB/sec fiber optic network my town has wired us hicks up to. Gol dang, that sucker smokes!
    Originally posted by WoodWorks
    Well, that brings me back to my original question. Why not just include the analog circuitry and make the phones useful for all of us who don't yet have access to GSM? Or consistent access to CDMA?
    Hello? Handspring? Surely I'm not alone.
    No, but I think that battery life (and prob. miniaturization) factored into their decision heavily.
    By the way, I'm in southern Oregon (Ashland), not the southern US. An jus' in case y'all thank we're a buncha ignorant hicks out'ere, I'm sending this here message via a 3.5 MB/sec fiber optic network my town has wired us hicks up to. Gol dang, that sucker smokes!
    Well, golly gee, ain't that a hoot! I reckon I wasn't trying to be insultin' and all, just pokin' fun at folk who don't live in the big city. Sorry ifn I did offend.
  12.    #12  

Well, golly gee, ain't that a hoot! I reckon I wasn't trying to be insultin' and all, just pokin' fun at folk who don't live in the big city. Sorry ifn I did offend.
    Nah! No offense taken'tall. Now, ifn you'd said somethin' 'bout mah pig, well...
    Originally posted by WoodWorks
    Nah! No offense taken'tall. Now, ifn you'd said somethin' 'bout mah pig, well...
    Chute, boy, I ain't got nuthin 'gainst yur daughter!
    Chute, boy, I ain't got nuthin 'gainst yur daughter!
    Now you's gone too fah - dat my aunt momma you talkin' 'bout.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    If the VisorPhone is any indication, it must be fairly simple to make a worldphone. [...]
    I'm not so sure. If it was really that simple, it seems they'd have come out of the gate with it.
    Why not Pro?
    Mainly due to the case and the lack of being able to get an aluminum one. I'm also not that enamored of rechargeable batteries. The Handera is still really hot on its heels (and would be in the lead were it not for aesthetic considerations) and if a color one appears, well, bye-bye Handspring.
    So US GSM Coverage should imporve. I think that Handspring is looking to the future.